Menu

What do you use for 2nd grade?

HomesteadMommy

I'm starting to plan my oldest 2nd grade year. She turns 7 this spring and is reading well about a 4th grade level. We've been using FIAR, SOTW 1, FLL, MUS Beta, with readers and Canadian geography.

So what did you love for 2nd grade?

We've really been enjoying FIAR so might continue with that program or alternate it with something else...There are just to many interesting programs to pick from. :lol:

We are using MFW Adventures for bible, history and science. R&S for math. I'm using R&S for reading and phonics as well, but my DD is doing so well I think I'll drop the reading. I started with R&S for English but it brought tears to everyone (including me!) so we went to PLL and I *love* it!

We used SL 1, la2 int, tons of extra library books, abeka math 3, abeka writing, abeka grammar 3, mind benders, sl science 1, and religion.

My dd is reading way above level, but she likes the SL books. The writing instruction is wonderful and her writing took off with the SL la. Now I just supplement with tons of library books.

Our current 2nd Grade - and not everything every day! LOL!

Daily - or nearly so -

* First Language Lessons 2

* Horizons Math 2, then 3

* Las Clase Divertida - Spanish

* Piano - practice and lesson once a week

* Rod and Staff Bible 2 ( about 2/3 of the "after" section in the workbook)

* Rod and Staff Spelling 2

* Voyages in English 2 - page or so a day but not the writing parts - just grammar drill.

* Writing With Ease - day or 2 a day depending on writing workload.

* Handwriting - learning cursive with CLP 2 handwriting.

* Reading - assigned and just for fun, plus family read alouds...

Couple of times a week -

* Story of the World 1with read alouds as needed, or as I have on hand, or as I feel like it!

* Proverbs People and Keepers of the Faith character studies. I hope to make this daily in the new year!

When I get to them -

* Rod and Staff Science 2 (I'm being honest here! We will finish the book this year and we do a lot of additional reading in science, and hands on stuff, I am just rotten about plodding through the book!)

* Alteir Art - I sprint here. We'll do 3 or 4 session before we get back to our regular schedule in January, then it'll sit for a while.

Weekly Memory Work -

* AWANA

I don't remember all that my signature SAYS we do, but here is what we really do:

Science, History, Spanish, Creative Writing, Art - 2 day a week coop

Math - Rightstart B, Singapore 2A for extra practice

A Reason for Handwriting Transition (starting cursive after Christmas)

Rod and Staff Grade 2

I have chosen different books for her to read independently. I think after Christmas we are going to use some of the book guides that Veritas has.

Lots of read alouds

I wish we had time for more nature study and to do more science in addition to the coop.

With my oldest we used:

FIAR

SL 1 - Bible, history, read-alouds, and readers

enrichment co-op

RightStart math

FLL

Italic Handwriting

Latin's Not So Tough

With my second dd we are using.

FIAR (rowing around the world)

Biology/Animals around the world for science (we're not doing FIAR science), and using related devotional books about animals for Bible

Time4Learning - math and language arts

Italic Handwriting

Immersion in local culture and language

With my ds next year we will be using:

Betty Luken's Bible felts and stories

FIAR

Biblioplan year 2 (we'll be doing FIAR social studies very lightly or not at all)

Time4Learning - math and language arts

Italic Handwriting

Immersion in local culture and language

Blessings,

Laura

Last year with my oldest we used:

Singapore Math

Phonograms from SWR with keyword pictures I drew

Copywork was sentences to go with the phonograms

Aesop's Fables

Writing narratives of Aesop's Fables

Minimus Latin

Story of the World 2

and at the end of the year we added in lapbooks from homeschoolshare once we were done with the phonogram work and Aesop's fables.

Next year with my youngest:

Rod and Staff Reading 1 Unit 5 and 2

Singapore Math 1b/2a

Writeshop

Lapbooks from homeschoolshare

French--I don't know what we will use but she wants to learn this.

Good luck on your year.:001_smile:

We are using CLE math 3 (which they love), CLE reading 2, CLE LA 2 and WWE2. On of my twins does HWT printing bk 2, the other does the cursive book.

We are also doing SOTW 1, a geography workbook, Mr Q's Life science, School song Latin, Elementary spanish, reading a lot of books and art and music when we have time.

I'm planning 2nd for next year for my oldest too.

Here's what I know for right now...

Continue with Abeka phonics. Also reading from McGuffey readers, CLP Nature Reader 2

FIAR vol 1 and 2-to go along with GTG (doing with my Ker)

Galloping the Globe

Rightstart math C ?? (I'm not sure if I'll use this alone, supplement with something else or go with something else entirely.)

Supplementing whatever math I go with: CWP2 from singapore

Readalouds from Ambleside online year 2. (this includes science, history and lit.)

HWT cursive (my lefty boy wants to learn cursive! :lol: I feel like telling him he hasn't learned printing yet...but I will buy this and see how it goes.)

Song School Latin

Also considering WWE 2. This looks great...not sure if I'll have the $$ though.

That's the plan "for now". Of course after reading this thread that might change! :tongue_smilie:

My 2nd grader this year:

Math: Singapore Pirmary and Miquon combo

LA: assigned daily reading to narrate, SWO, our modified plan using FLL, copywork

History: TruthQuest AHYS2 and 3 with older sister, some read alouds, some assigned, with lapbooking and mapwork

Science: Finished Apologia Zoology 1 and started Zoology 2

Music: Story of the Orchestra and piano lessons with Mom

Art: 1, 2, 3, Draw Ocean Animal by Levin

She also has a few critical thinking books and read a chapter each day in her NIrV Bible. HTH

My oldest did the ACE paces in 2nd grade, but I can't say that either one of us loved it. :glare: That was the year I had a new baby and struggled badly with PPD.

My next dd did MFW Adventures, Saxon math, and alternated FLL and PLL for 2nd grade. That was a GREAT year. :thumbup: (*I* didn't love the Saxon math, but she did. We switched to Singapore shortly afterward.) I'll likely do the same with my 3rd dd, except that instead of the full Adventures program, she'll do the Adventures supplemental part of MFW 1850-Modern which her big sister will be doing at that time.