Menu

Coffee maker rec

mmasc

I have decided that I need a drip coffee maker. My only main requirements are that it can be programmed to start at a certain time, and that it’s not super expensive. Good and cheap is even better. 😁

More info for those still interested…I’ve had a keurig for donkey’s years. I also have a French press. I have a grinder. I really want my fresh grounds, but I’m SO tired of messing with the French press. Also, guests don’t know how to use it. So, I *think* I can still get great coffee with fresh grounds and a drip maker. (Right??) Also, I’m the only coffee drinker in my home so I don’t need a huge 14-cup one, but also I don’t feel like a 5-cup will brew as well (or accommodate for the occasional guest). 

Links are awesome!

We’ve used this Mr. coffee version for years and years. Whenever we’ve needed a new one, we buy the same model. I program it every night for my husband’s coffee.

I can’t get the link to copy and paste from my Walmart app. It’s a 12 cup programmable Mr coffee drip pot. It’s around $35 at Walmart. 

I used to use it for my coffee as well but I switched to a French press and I love it! I had a Keurig for many years but switched to the press several years ago and have never looked back. I love being able to make one cup at a time fresh and exactly how I like it. Plus it just tastes so much better in the press. Sometimes I miss the convenience of the keurig but I don’t miss the cost and the subpar coffee. 

My husband loves his Mr. Coffee drip machine though. 😊

Edited by Melanie32
  • Thanks 1

I use a Hario Switch at home (immersion/pourover hybrid), but at my parents I use their 5-cup Mr. Coffee, and the results are surprisingly good.  Their model isn't programmable, but there is a programmable model for not much more: https://www.target.com/p/mr-coffee-5-cup-programmable-coffee-maker-black/-/A-78604179#lnk=sametab

I actually really like the 5-cup for making single serve coffee, but there's a 12-cup version for not too much more: https://www.target.com/p/mr-coffee-12-cup-programmable-coffee-maker-black-stainless-steel/-/A-79767634#lnk=sametab

• Thanks 1

I have this Ninja. Highly recommend. I make as little as five cups at a time (according to the pot markings) to a full pot. It works great for either. FWIW, I got it because I was in a similar situation as you--I have multiple pour over devices, a French press, a grinder, have had a Keurig. And I decided I just wanted something easy and simple. My requirements were that it had to be easy to clean thoroughly and make hot coffee and keep it hot for awhile.

• Thanks 1

We are very happy with the 12-cup Cuisinart bought at Costco. It is programmable (we don't use that feature) and there is a setting for 1-4 cups, which we occasionally use. But the cup sizes are misleading, I think they are 6 oz? Actually not sure but we usually make 10 cups in the morning and it's not 80 oz of coffee (though I have never measured it). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marbel said:

We are very happy with the 12-cup Cuisinart bought at Costco. It is programmable (we don't use that feature) and there is a setting for 1-4 cups, which we occasionally use. But the cup sizes are misleading, I think they are 6 oz? Actually not sure but we usually make 10 cups in the morning and it's not 80 oz of coffee (though I have never measured it). 

I think the standard "cup" on a coffee pot is about 5 oz. Five "cups" on mine means I can fill my 16 oz. travel mug twice, leaving room for a splash of milk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marbel said:

I was actually just measuring water to check on this because I noticed the “5-cup” one linked above had 25 ounces marked on it. And I was like 8x5 isn’t 25 😂 I’m guessing “cup” for coffee makers is like the traditional small cup people use for coffee (not the common mugs I see more often)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

I think the standard "cup" on a coffee pot is about 5 oz. Five "cups" on mine means I can fill my 16 oz. travel mug twice, leaving room for a splash of milk.

Not that I need a new coffeemaker, but I wonder if there are makers with oz or ml measurements instead of the vague cups. 

43 minutes ago, mmasc said:

What do you guys think about the reusable filters? Are they a pain to clean? One of the things that’s driving me batty with the French press is how messy clean-up is!

Our coffeemaker came with a reusable filter. It's fine. We rinse it out each time and every now and then it goes into the dishwasher. The coffeemaker also gets a vinegar/water cycle now and then. My husband maintains it, not me, so I don't know the interval. 

• Thanks 1

We had a Cuisinart with a reusable filter and it was not difficult to clean the filter.  What was a mess to clean: we had a Cuisinart with self-grinding and a timer so that we could have freshly ground coffee ready when we woke up in the morning.  The self-grinder was a mess to clean because it got steamy and moldy.  So, if you want drip coffee ready when you get up, I recommend grinding it in the evening (which defeats some of the purpose of fresh-ground coffee).  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marbel said:

We had the one I think you're describing. I wanted to get a small k cup pot to for those afternoons one of us wants a coffee and was looking at several styles. We then found this coffee center at Bed Bath & Beyond when they were having their going out of business sale. We paid $80 for it and love it. We use the reusable filter in the main coffee pot and the reusable k cup filter with our own coffee.

OP I know the coffee center isn't what you're looking for but the original that @marbel mentioned might be what you want. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marbel said:

Not that I need a new coffeemaker, but I wonder if there are makers with oz or ml measurements instead of the vague cups. 

I use a measuring cup when filling up the water tanks of coffee makers. To me, one cup is 8oz/240ml so I prefer to use my measuring cups. If you mean the coffee pot portion, I am no help.

• Like 1