Menu

Nothing like sending packages and learning they arrived without the contents. Grrr!!

Every Christmas I send a box or two of smoked salmon to my in-laws in Switzerland. Since it's difficult to think what to give them, and since it has to be something than can easily be shipped overseas, this has worked well for years. Also, Alaskan salmon is a real treat for them. They always share it with Hans' siblings on Christmas Eve.

This year I wanted to tangibly thank a few of other people in Switzerland so I sent several extra boxes. A total of 5 big boxes of delicious smoked salmon ~ a cool $200 to buy and ship. But oh, I knew it was worth the price tag. They were going to lo-o-o-ve that salmon! Mmmm!

Today I found out that the "packages" (such as they were at that point) were delivered without the salmon. The boxes of salmon were removed, and the paper refolded and taped around the enclosed card. I can just imagine what these people were thinking. "Huh. Why on earth would they send a simple Christmas card wrapped with all this packaging paper?"

Apparently Switzerland no longer allows food imports ~ or so my mother-in-law was told when she inquired at the post. No one told me that at the USPS. Talk about disappointing. Sure hope the folks at the border enjoyed the meal.:glare:

That is horrifying! Why wouldn't they just return it to you??? That's just plain stealing. I think I might start complaining somewhere, like my local PO, and then move up the chain. I mean, you know, $20 bucks, maybe not worth the effort. $200??? That's a BIG chunk of change! And the PO is supposed to be the arbiter of the actual postal rules.

Wow, I'm ticked off on your behalf. I'm so sorry.

Bummer. How disappointing.

Surely there is a place online to look up stuff like that.

On our most recent trip home from Europe, we lost the German salami we were bringing back for our oldest son. I forgot that meat products---even processed and wrapped ones--are verboten.

I do hope the guys and gals in customs get to enjoy some of the spoils of their searches. I'd hate for it to go completely to waste.

Bummer. How disappointing.

Surely there is a place online to look up stuff like that.

On our most recent trip home from Europe, we lost the German salami we were bringing back for our oldest son. I forgot that meat products---even processed and wrapped ones--are verboten.

I do hope the guys and gals in customs get to enjoy some of the spoils of their searches. I'd hate for it to go completely to waste.

100 points for writing that the German salami was verboten. :D

We lost around 100 lbs (yes, ONE HUNDRED POUNDS) of Alaskan halibut we shipped to Germany from Alaska because we didn't pre-file a customs waiver.

As a resident shipping fish for your personal use you can get a waiver, by the way, but not on the very day you want to bring the fish into the country. They failed to mention when we called ****three weeks in advance of our shipping**** that said form must be filled out and processed well in advance of the flight of the halibut.

The form must be pre-filled out in triplicate and your first born must be offered and you must perform two perfect backflips in front of an *authorized* backflip customs officer and, and, and, and.... You know, they need lots and lots of warning time to admit the scary halibut that your own family is going to eat.

After all, unauthorized halibut could cause something to happen. And they might not have a form for whatever it is that happens. And without the proper paperwork on file, well what would we do then? Just imagine. Shudder.

Sorry you lost your fish.

Wanted to add: I realize our situation isn't exactly the same. Just empathizing with my own fish story.

Edited by KJB

Egads! So sorry about your own incident. Makes me sick to think of losing all that halibut. Ugh!

I've never had a problem shipping food (or anything else) into Switzerland. The Swiss barely even glance at your passport when you enter the country. I've found Germany to be more stringent on all fronts. I'm going to have to look into what's going on. I'm also planning to talk to the postmaster at the local p.o.

That's just so sad. All that beautiful smoked salmon. I actually do hope someone at the post office got to eat it, because I can't stand to think about it sitting in the trash:( I'm so sorry, Colleen. I try so hard to make everything just right at the holidays, and especially with family that is far away, we want to feel like we can do something nice for them.

Every Christmas I send a box or two of smoked salmon to my in-laws in Switzerland. Since it's difficult to think what to give them, and since it has to be something than can easily be shipped overseas, this has worked well for years. Also, Alaskan salmon is a real treat for them. They always share it with Hans' siblings on Christmas Eve.

This year I wanted to tangibly thank a few of other people in Switzerland so I sent several extra boxes. A total of 5 big boxes of delicious smoked salmon ~ a cool $200 to buy and ship. But oh, I knew it was worth the price tag. They were going to lo-o-o-ve that salmon! Mmmm!

Today I found out that the "packages" (such as they were at that point) were delivered without the salmon. The boxes of salmon were removed, and the paper refolded and taped around the enclosed card. I can just imagine what these people were thinking. "Huh. Why on earth would they send a simple Christmas card wrapped with all this packaging paper?"

Apparently Switzerland no longer allows food imports ~ or so my mother-in-law was told when she inquired at the post. No one told me that at the USPS. Talk about disappointing. Sure hope the folks at the border enjoyed the meal.:glare:

My cousin lives in Holland and asked me to not send her certain things -- and certainly I was told to "fib" on others (on the customs tag). She said their post office would open packages around this time of year and levy a "tax" for the contents (essentially causing them to pay for the contents, or go without).

When we lived over there, everyone would send her packages to us, and then we would hand-carry it to her. Now it works out that she sees a member of her every year so gifts are exchanged then.