Menu

American to European sizes, Dansko brand, please help quick!

Janeway

I need new shoes for dress, for church and such. I found some nice ones. I need comfort. I struggle with feet pain if I have the wrong shoes. I usually wear walking shoes (Hoka to be specific). I am solidly a size 9.5 in American brand shoes. I learned my lesson once when a guy at a shoe store insisted I needed a 9. I went with it but after wearing the shoes for one entire day, they were clearly too small. They did not seem too small when I tried them on, but after having them on all day (at Disney World), I was in pain and knew for sure they were too small. Ever since, I have refused to purchase anything but 9.5.

Now, these Dansko shoes, which are Mary Jane Beatrice style, I ordered in a 40, which everything I see says is equal to 9.5 in American sizes. but they are big on me. They are not so big that I could not wear them, but they have room to grow, so to speak. So I ordered a 39. This is through try-before-you-buy on Amazon. The 39 seems to fit perfectly. These shoes are too expensive for me to just go with the 39 only to find out that the first time I have to wear them all day, they are too small.

Please help! I need advice. Since these would be dress shoes, I likely would never wear anything but dress socks with them, meaning thin socks. BUT, I still don't want to spend this money only to have them too small. On the same token, too big can be an issue too. Maybe I should just give up and go back to my 15 year old (and dog chewed on) dress shoes that look worn out. I hope I can get some good guidance here.

I'm not understanding your question.

I've worn danskos for years, (mostly clogs, but other styles too).   If you're wearing them around your house all day and they're fine, what's your question?

I prefer abeo's (not sure if they are the walking company's own brand, Amazon carries them as TWC closed all their B&M stores.) with metatarsal support for walking around all day.  I wore them walking around vienna . . (one day was 21,000 steps . . . I was in so much pain from fibro. but my feet were fine.)

How long did you wear them to determine they fit perfectly? Did you walk around the house for a good while, in the sock thickness you'll likely wear with them? I would try them on again at night, after you've been on your feet all day, and then walk around in the house as much as you can with them on. 

I have also had shoes that fit perfectly at first try-on but as time went on - like hours, not days - they were too tight. But remember that shoe sizes are not truly standard. I don't think it's uncommon to wear slightly different sizes in different brands and even different styles. It also makes a difference if the shoes run narrow or wide. 

Sorry you're having trouble. Shoe-buying online can be so hard. 

Edited by marbel

I have some Dansko clogs and I feel like they are supposed to feel big? The style I have is very comfortable and I can wear them all day but my foot definitely can move all around in them but it doesn’t cause a problem. It feels like it is meant to fit that way and they are closed in the back so while loose and roomy they aren’t falling off and they provide support where needed. I actually love them and will live in them once the weather breaks out of the summer temps and it feels like fall.

I have a smaller foot so I’m not sure on the exact size question but I went with the suggested size conversion and it has been fine. Loose fitting but not problematic.

I have one foot that's a solid 9.5 , and the other is a little smaller and on the wide side. I have another Dansko Mary Jane style in a 39 and it fits fine, but I should mention that I always swap out for a different insole that I wear daily. Even with a good fit, I wouldn't expect them to feel as comfortable as what you wear daily since there's a big difference in cushioning and support between the styles. There's no guarantee even if it works at home on carpeting that they will work equally well on different surfaces. 

The other Dansko style I wear is a sneaker with smaller sizing, and I'm a 40 in those.

1 hour ago, marbel said:

How long did you wear them to determine they fit perfectly? Did you walk around the house for a good while, in the sock thickness you'll likely wear with them? I would try them on again at night, after you've been on your feet all day, and then walk around in the house as much as you can with them on. 

I have also had shoes that fit perfectly at first try-on but as time went on - like hours, not days - they were too tight. But remember that shoe sizes are not truly standard. I don't think it's uncommon to wear slightly different sizes in different brands and even different styles. It also makes a difference if the shoes run narrow or wide. 

Sorry you're having trouble. Shoe-buying online can be so hard. 

I tried them on and walked maybe 20 feet and back, that is all. I could try to wear, just around the house, for a day. I am thinking maybe "try before you buy" could mean to keep them on a few hours?

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have some Dansko clogs and I feel like they are supposed to feel big? The style I have is very comfortable and I can wear them all day but my foot definitely can move all around in them but it doesn’t cause a problem. It feels like it is meant to fit that way and they are closed in the back so while loose and roomy they aren’t falling off and they provide support where needed. I actually love them and will live in them once the weather breaks out of the summer temps and it feels like fall.

I have a smaller foot so I’m not sure on the exact size question but I went with the suggested size conversion and it has been fine. Loose fitting but not problematic.

I think this is likely my issue. These are clogs and meant to fit on the bigger side. And one of my feet is slightly bigger than the other. Do you wear your clogs without socks?