Menu

Gift for mail carrier

klmama

Our mail carrier has gone above and beyond for us this year, and we want to give him a gift.  Postal regulations say it has to be under $20 value and can't be cash or gift card or other cash equivalent.  All I know about his personal life is that he has a giant cat.  Any suggestions? 

• Like 1

My DH is a mail carrier and at Christmas he receives a lot of gift cards. As for the cat, mine love those cardboard scratchers. They scratch them, they sleep on the them, and they even store their prized toys on them. We can't keep enough in the house, they love them that much. If you go somewhere like TJMaxx or The Home Store, you can find them for under $20. I'd try to find one big enough for a large kitty to sleep on.

• Like 1

I'm now Friends with my now Retired Rural Mail Carrier. 
Last Christmas, I left a small treat in our mailbox every day of December.  It's really really a brutal time, delivering all those Amazon boxes.

*She* leaves a frozen water bottle in her mailbox for her mail carrier (on a hot day).

(Also thank you notes when they do Click & Ship, stamp orders, etc.) 

• Like 1

Dh's grandma just retired this year as a rural letter carrier. She received gift cards of all kinds and denominations from her customers. She also got all kinds of baked goods (homemade and fancy store bought things), dozens and dozens of eggs from people's chickens, garden veggie surplus, handmade items, lotions and soaps and at Christmas some just gave her straight out cash.

• Like 3

The regulations really don’t stop people from giving gifts. My dad was a carrier. He couldn’t take a tip if someone handed him something identifiable as money, but if someone left something in a card, he was presumably just taking a note—no X-ray vision.

Maybe a card toward a meal out someplace that has flexible options. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kbutton said:

The regulations really don’t stop people from giving gifts. My dad was a carrier. He couldn’t take a tip if someone handed him something identifiable as money, but if someone left something in a card, he was presumably just taking a note—no X-ray vision.

Maybe a card toward a meal out someplace that has flexible options. 

So I could put something in a card and give it to our mail carrier?  I've wondered how to do that.

41 minutes ago, kathyl said:

So I could put something in a card and give it to our mail carrier?  I've wondered how to do that.

I think that’s what my dad’s customers did. They’d leave it in the box with his name or try to catch him when he came. He delivered to the porch though, so people could even tape it to their front doors. 

• Like 1