Menu

From R&S math 8 to Foerster or Dolciani?

Servant4Christ

I am debating where to go once Oldest completes R&S math 8. Would Foerster's Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall Classics Version) be too big of a leap?

My other thought is Dolciani (Classic Edition because it's easier to find solution keys).

Disclaimer: Oldest isn't interested in Jacob's at all, which really surprised me with all the cool tricks and comics.

Edited by Servant4Christ

Just now, Servant4Christ said:

Thank you. Then I guess my next question is: Do you think a student who finishes R&S math through grade 8 will do fine going on to algebra 1 without having taken a pre algebra course?

Yes.  🙂   BTDT. 

Some older posters (Beth in Central TX and Colleen in NS) had students who did R&S 8 to Dolciani and did very well.

Most alg 1 programs cover the basics in the first chapter to get students from different programs up to speed.  Both Foerster's and Dolciani start from square one and bring a student forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe Rod & Staff's basic structure predates the concept of pre-algebra as a separate year's study. Much, though certainly not all, of the material that would be in pre-algebra is instead integrated into the upper years of Rod & Staff. Chapter 1 may be a bit slower-going than otherwise, but methodically working through will get Oldest ready for the rest of the book. If an extra week of mathematics work is needed for complete confidence in Chapter 1 (and Oldest is likely to need less extra time than that, if any), take it with as little fuss as possible; you'll probably get it back by May, due to more rapid understanding of the rest of the material.

A wide swathe of students from every program would probably benefit from taking Chapter 1 of Algebra 1 books a little more slowly than instinct might suggest, since programs often have important clues about how they are going to approach novel mathematical material in how they present these relatively familiar concepts. Learning these clues help students to understand the lessons faster and more completely than otherwise. You simply have a more concrete reason to point to than usual, in that Rod & Staff doesn't claim to cover every pre-algebra concept, thus some parts may be genuinely new.

Pick whichever of Dolciani or Foerster's makes the most sense in the context of your household, and continue enjoying the mathematics journey!

Edited by ieta_cassiopeia
  • Like 4

Those are both strong texts. Just pick one. 

If you want to get a headstart on the topics R&S didn't really cover, the Key to Algebra workbook set is super clear, easy to use, and really good at illustrating why the math works. It's a supplement; not a full course. 

• Like 2

Thanks. I'm pretty confident I can explain and fill any gaps needed for Algebra 1. I just wanted to make sure the transition wouldn't be a huge stretch, if that makes sense. Now, I just have to decide. I'll likely buy both, but the one we use will be dependent upon which one I can find fairly priced solution manuals for. Finding Dolciani solution keys is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 6:12 AM, Servant4Christ said:

Thank you. Then I guess my next question is: Do you think a student who finishes R&S math through grade 8 will do fine going on to algebra 1 without having taken a pre algebra course?

I would think so. I am sure so actually. I own both and prefer Dolciani, but others prefer Foersters. SO I am splitting the difference. I have had one child use each of Dolciani and Foersters and Jacobs. They are all equal, but a little different in presentation. The explanations are the same pretty much. I have compared many lessons. So, I just let the kids pick the one they like the look of. You could just pick the one you like and use it. No need to own 3 sets of books to let one child pick. 

• Like 2

Thankyou @Janeway. I think I'm just stressing because I struggled in highschool math but was ignored by most math teachers. I was getting good grades so I clearly didn't need the same kind of help as the students who were failing. I could see and copy the patterns being used to solve problems but had no clue why I was doing it or why it worked. Thus, good grades and no clue. I'm currently looking at a picture of a page in Foerster's Alg 1 that is a prime example. I haven't found a similar lesson in Dolciani (yet) to compare explanations, though. I will say, I am thankful for all the research I'm doing, as it's shedding light on areas I truly want to reteach myself.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thankyou @Janeway. I think I'm just stressing because I struggled in highschool math but was ignored by most math teachers. I was getting good grades so I clearly didn't need the same kind of help as the students who were failing. I could see and copy the patterns being used to solve problems but had no clue why I was doing it or why it worked. Thus, good grades and no clue. I'm currently looking at a picture of a page in Foerster's Alg 1 that is a prime example, yet I didn't use Foerster's. I used Jacobs Alg 1. I remember because I hated those lizards with everything in me. Lol. I haven't found a similar lesson in Dolciani (yet) to compare explanations, though. I will say, I am thankful for all the research I'm doing, as it's shedding light on areas I truly want to reteach myself.

You can PM me if you wish.

51 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thankyou @Janeway. I think I'm just stressing because I struggled in highschool math but was ignored by most math teachers. I was getting good grades so I clearly didn't need the same kind of help as the students who were failing. I could see and copy the patterns being used to solve problems but had no clue why I was doing it or why it worked. Thus, good grades and no clue. I'm currently looking at a picture of a page in Foerster's Alg 1 that is a prime example, yet I didn't use Foerster's. I used Jacobs Alg 1. I remember because I hated those lizards with everything in me. Lol. I haven't found a similar lesson in Dolciani (yet) to compare explanations, though. I will say, I am thankful for all the research I'm doing, as it's shedding light on areas I truly want to reteach myself.

You can PM me if you wish. Actually..I am about to go out and do yard work. I can try to take some pictures from Dolciani. I would highly recommend pre-algebra. It never hurts to also do pre-algebra. But it definitely hurts to not do it if they are not heavily grounded in the math. I do use Keys to Algebra...all 10 books, for every child, regardless. It seems to focus in on some of the trouble areas and gives extra clarity. I try to get through the first 4 books before starting algebra. 

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Malam said:

What's ITT?

Sorry! I posted a screenshot of a page from the Foerster's text on the Ignore This Thread thread  (General Ed forum) and one of the regular posters is a math person who was kind enough to reminded me of the piece I was missing. Sometimes it's just so much easier/faster to post there than to start a new thread.

Edited by Servant4Christ

• 7 months later...

I thought I'd update this thread for future reference:

Thanks to some of the above posts, I was struck with the brilliant idea to pick 2-3 topics and compare them side by side in Foerster, Dolciani, Jacobs, and Jurgensen. I am surprised to realize that multiple editions of the same textbook vary in how topics are presented and explained. I never would've known, had it not been for OpenLibrary and Archive. We chose Foerster Algebra 1 & 2 classic editions and Jurgensen Geometry 2000 edition. I will likely also buy Jacobs older editions for myself because I find them fascinating and maybe one of my younger children will prefer them to Foresters in the future.

• Like 2

I just received and returned Jurgensen. The teacher edition doesn't have enough teacher support for me. The daily lesson chalkboard examples do not show fully worked out solutions. The book just gives a problem with answer and assumes the teacher can take it from there. Umm, not me. Off to buy Jacobs now.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition is better than the 3rd, I think. There are threads about it here somewhere…

Yes, I personally prefer the 2nd edition over the 3rd edition just looking through them both on Archive and comparing them. However, the support materials and optional DVDs are more readily available for the third edition. I'm also looking into Geometry: A Guided Inquiry because the text appears to be visually similar to Foersters Algebra textbooks and the problems look very real world interesting which could be just the ticket for my oldest.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I just received and returned Jurgensen. The teacher edition doesn't have enough teacher support for me. The daily lesson chalkboard examples do not show fully worked out solutions. The book just gives a problem with answer and assumes the teacher can take it from there. Umm, not me. Off to buy Jacobs now.

The Solution Manual for Jurgensen's geo is available on archive...  https://archive.org/details/geometry00jurg/mode/2up

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I showed my oldest samples of Jacobs second edition and third edition along with a couple chapters from Geometry: A Guided Inquiry. To my surprise, he prefers Jacobs second edition over third edition so I've ordered Jacobs 2e and GGI.

Edited by Servant4Christ