Menu

Old canning jars

Innisfree

In cleaning out the garage, I’ve come upon a stash of old homemade pickles. These are very, very old pickles: more than two decades. They don’t look bad, the vacuum seal appears to be intact, but I’m not going to eat them. The jars should be fine, though, once sterilized, shouldn’t they? I hate to toss them out. 

I would reuse the jars but not for canning unless I got new lids for them.  

I use canning jars for freezing soups, cooked beans, spaghetti sauce, chili, and chicken pie filling.  And also for decanting bagged dry goods, and refrigerating leftovers.  So for me it would not be a hardship to use them that way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I would reuse the jars but not for canning unless I got new lids for them.  

Yeah, I would definitely get new lids, for any use.

One of the old jars is big enough that I was thinking it would be good for holding my sourdough starter. Who knows how the others would be used… maybe pickles again, lol. I used to make a bunch of jams and jellies, but haven’t in ages. I ought to make some while it’s summer and fruit is plentiful.

I guess I should clarify that I know the jars are pretty much infinitely reusable. It’s the fact that I would be reusing them after the ancient pickles were in them that gave me pause. I just wanted to make sure the standard sterilization procedures would suffice. Possibly the pickles are even still good, but in case they aren’t, I don’t want to poison anyone, either with the pickles themselves or with any spores or whatever that might survive boiling and still be in the jar.

I’m probably overthinking this.

Edited by Innisfree