Menu

Home reno question - do you have wide trim?

BlsdMama

We are redoing our floors. My wheelchair has destroyed the LVT plank. We are putting in nailed down hardwood and would like to redo our trim at the same time. DH wants to go with wide trim and I think it will look nice with one caveat. The baseboard is one thing but trim around doors is hard! For those of you with wide trim, what is done around doors with less clearance? For example, our coat closet is about 3" from a wall.  4" trim won't fit there so is it then lopsided?

We only have in place where the trim is awkward and was placed right against the wall corner. I tend to notice this kind of detail right away and it actually took me a very long time so I guess it isn’t too bad. Not sure this is exactly your issue, but I think most houses don’t have all the details fit exactly right 100% of the time, Kwim? 

IMG_3720.jpeg

• Like 2

The trim around our doors is different from our baseboard trim. Ours isn’t this style, but the idea of the cap piece and then thinner trim around doors is similar:

eddc1fab6984d16c92e015527e80be88.jpg

this one doesn’t have the separate cap piece, but still thinner around doors than baseboards:

6b4e50034f559854c29ac7fb91c70184.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Hmmm ^^ this door trim is entirely different that the trim on the door in the background. 

Oh you’re right. The doors themselves are different as well. Perhaps either the first one of the doors that was redone or maybe this is a more notable doors than the others (door to the garage versus the door to a bedroom or something, for example). My guess would be it’s just the first of the doors to be redone though. Either way, both the doors in the background and foreground have thinner trim than the baseboards

Edited by KSera
Typo
  • Like 1

Not sure I totally understand. Our baseboard is about 6" high. The trim around the doors is thinner - maybe 4"? I don't think it has to be the same in both places.  We do have two doors that are very close in one corner and they put the regular trim up and caulked the corner. I think it looks normal, but it's always looked like that, so it is normal to me. ??

We cut it down. In our house, it’s not very visible as the door is usually open and blocking the thinner piece. When the door is closed, it just looks like the usual trim—white contrast against the paint. 

I will caution you to price it out. Lumber has come down a bit from 2020, but doors and floors use long lengths. We are trimming out our closet now after putting in hardwoods and building a custom closet and it all adds up. For the most part, we’ve just sanded down and painted our old trim and purchased new only when we had to due to $$$$. A new closet brings a lot of life improvement. Trim? I personally don’t have the same benefit.