Menu

Is anyone Conservator for another adult?

Ottakee

I filed for conservatorship for my brother.   Yesterday I talked to the credit union we used and they said that any accounts with a conservator are NOT allowed to have a credit card or debit card tied to them.

Obviously that would make things very difficult as it is checks only, no cash for transactions either.   That means no Amazon orders shipped to his home for things he needs, no using a debit card at grocery store or gas station, etc.

Anyone know anything about this?

23 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I filed for conservatorship for my brother.   Yesterday I talked to the credit union we used and they said that any accounts with a conservator are NOT allowed to have a credit card or debit card tied to them.

Obviously that would make things very difficult as it is checks only, no cash for transactions either.   That means no Amazon orders shipped to his home for things he needs, no using a debit card at grocery store or gas station, etc.

Anyone know anything about this?

I recommend finding out if that is just the credit union's policy or if it is a banking/credit union regulation. If the former, you can check with area banks to see what they offer. We didn't very far into the process with my dad before he died.

• Like 3

I don't know specifically about Michigan. I know someone from another state with the same issues so she keeps $500 in an account for the debit card and doesn't have her name on the account, but does have the password so she can monitor it, and make transfers to it from the accounts that do have her on them. It is a pain. 

It might be possible to give a budgeted amount in gift cards from Amazon per month for packages.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I don't know specifically about Michigan. I know someone from another state with the same issues so she keeps $500 in an account for the debit card and doesn't have her name on the account, but does have the password so she can monitor it, and make transfers to it from the accounts that do have her on them. It is a pain. 

It might be possible to give a budgeted amount in gift cards from Amazon per month for packages.

We might just do POA instead.   Situation is complicated but I can’t take it on if I can’t use a debit card for purchases, etc.

12 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

We might just do POA instead.   Situation is complicated but I can’t take it on if I can’t use a debit card for purchases, etc.

Just be aware that with a POA he will be able to access the funds and do whatever he wants with the money. For some people this might not be a problem, but if dementia or any other cognitive issues are in play it might be problematic. You know his history so I’m confident you’ll be able to manage whichever role you take on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

Just be aware that with a POA he will be able to access the funds and do whatever he wants with the money. For some people this might not be a problem, but if dementia or any other cognitive issues are in play it might be problematic. You know his history so I’m confident you’ll be able to manage whichever role you take on.

That is a slight concern but I am representative payee for disability already so have full control of that.

• Like 3

Could you use your own debit card and then pay yourself with a check from his account?  

I think my sister does this.

I have bought things for my dad (that we discussed and I’m the one who goes to the store), and I give her the receipt and then she writes me a check.  

I am pretty sure she has ordered from Amazon and then reimbursed herself by writing a check.  

I don’t think she is a conservator though, I’m not sure.  But she only has a checkbook for his account, I think.  

• Like 1

edit to add: I think I see the problem. Your brother won't be able to spend his own money. So yeah...as long as you are pretty certain that he has the mental capacity to make sound decisions with his money, POA would be better. But if there is any question on that...think hard. I can remember my mother and aunt being so careful not to ever say anything to my grandfather about how well his stocks were doing because they were scared he would sell all of his investments--do something rash. He had dementia from mini strokes. They had POA. 

When my dh was conservator for his aunt with Alzheimer's, the judge told us we were allowed to...pay ourselves basically...for taking care of her. There were never any strict limits set out for that. So dh or I would withdraw funds from her account once a month to pay myself back for stuff I bought her and the gas money to take her shopping, to the doctor, etc. We had checks but no cards. This was 16 years ago.

You could just write yourself a check and do a mobile deposit. 

Edited by popmom

7 hours ago, Lecka said:

Could you use your own debit card and then pay yourself with a check from his account?  

I think my sister does this.

I have bought things for my dad (that we discussed and I’m the one who goes to the store), and I give her the receipt and then she writes me a check.  

I am pretty sure she has ordered from Amazon and then reimbursed herself by writing a check.  

I don’t think she is a conservator though, I’m not sure.  But she only has a checkbook for his account, I think.  

Nope as that is considered comingling of funds.  I asked on that one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, popmom said:

edit to add: I think I see the problem. Your brother won't be able to spend his own money. So yeah...as long as you are pretty certain that he has the mental capacity to make sound decisions with his money, POA would be better. But if there is any question on that...think hard. I can remember my mother and aunt being so careful not to ever say anything to my grandfather about how well his stocks were doing because they were scared he would sell all of his investments--do something rash. He had dementia from mini strokes. They had POA. 

When my dh was conservator for his aunt with Alzheimer's, the judge told us we were allowed to...pay ourselves basically...for taking care of her. There were never any strict limits set out for that. So dh or I would withdraw funds from her account once a month to pay myself back for stuff I bought her and the gas money to take her shopping, to the doctor, etc. We had checks but no cards. This was 16 years ago.

You could just write yourself a check and do a mobile deposit. 

He doesn’t have stocks or bonds or retirement fund, etc.

• Like 1