Menu

List of things to take to a dorm?

Garga

Does anyone have a list they kept of stuff their student took to a dorm? 

My son has a snazzy dorm that’s about the size of a small apartment but without a kitchen. He’ll have a counter and cabinets and kitchen sink, but he’ll be bringing his own tiny fridge and microwave.

He’ll have a toilet/shower and two bathroom sinks, one of him and one for his roommate.

I’m in the throes of trying to figure out useful things to bring. He doesn’t want to have to take lot, but he does need to have necessities. 

Was there any unexpected thing that your student realized was a must have? Or was there something your student took, thinking it was necessary, but turns out it wasn’t?

• Like 2

Check the college's website first. They often have a list of what to bring, but also esp. what NOT to bring/what is not allowed in dorm rooms.

Then check out PAGE 5 of the big pinned thread "College Motherlode" at the top of the WTM College Board

Packing / what to bring to college
Gwen’s complete college supply list
What to bring to college 
What to take to college: list of must haves?
What do they really need for the dorm? 
Packing for college dorm/apt life 
Dress clothes for college? 
Best vacuum for college dorm 
Sheets and towels for dorm 
What sort of mattress cover did you get for the dorm?
Locking trunk? 
Keeping things [secure] in a dorm room 
Small dorm storage: share advice or past mistakes 

Congrats, and BEST of luck to your college student! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 6

On 7/1/2023 at 4:53 AM, Garga said:

...I’m in the throes of trying to figure out useful things to bring. He doesn’t want to have to take lot, but he does need to have necessities. 

Was there any unexpected thing that your student realized was a must have? Or was there something your student took, thinking it was necessary, but turns out it wasn’t? ...

Since you haven't had any more responses, I'll throw in a few of our experiences specifically about these questions. 😉

Both of my guys tend to be "minimalists". When DS#1 went to college, I didn't send tons of stuff, but it turned out that I did send more with him than he needed or ever used, so if your DS is also a streamlined living kind of guy, he may not need a lot more than the basics.

re: basics
A good, comfy backpack got used daily.  Also, an inexpensive wheeled, plastic drawer unit along the lines of this did double-duty as a night stand and holding all of the odds and ends.

re: cleaning supplies
Items that got used regularly: a kitchen trash can + bags and paper towels.

Realistically, I think a lot of cleaning supplies only end up getting used at the end of each semester, when rooms have to pass muster by the RA before students can check out and not have to pay a cleaning fee, lol. BUT: DS did at least a few times have to use:
- toilet brush and cleaner
- scrubbing bubbles or other for shower and sink 
- a "stick" vacuum cleaner

re: things that turned out to be necessities 
He ended up getting sick several times (germs pass around campus a lot), so sending cold and flu supplies is a good idea.

He asked for a long board (type of skateboard) that first Christmas (end of 1st semester at college), and he used that for getting around campus faster for the rest of his college time -- it was a smaller, self-contained campus with no restaurants or businesses within easy biking distance (needed to drive). So you may want to think about whether or not your DS will need anything other than walking shoes for getting around at his campus, or if a bike would also be useful if he won't have a car AND if there are places near campus that he would go to off and on -- like for haircuts, restaurant for variety in food, Walmart for various snacks and supplies, etc.

DS#1's second year in the dorm, he ended up with a snoring roommate, and I shipped him a container of foam sleeping ear plugs. But, stuff like that, you never know until it happens, so you can just wait and ship odds and ends as needed.

re: food and kitchen
DS#1 never did make any food in his dorm room except for reheating the occasional frozen or box dinner out of his fridge. He had a meal plan and used that almost all of the time. Does your DS like to cook for himself and is planning on cooking at college? If not, then I wouldn't bother with kitchen ware other than what he needs for microwaving (like paper plates and napkins), plus a few ziplock bags for storing leftovers in the fridge. (I would normally use a plate or bowl for microwaving and plastic storage containers for the fridge, but that adds the layer of washing dishes, which DS#1 didn't want to do -- he just wanted disposable.)

I sent a small cutting board and kitchen knife, a pyrex measuring cup, and a single bowl/plate/set of silverware for kitchen use -- I don't think DS every used them, lol.

If your DS is sharing the kitchen portion of the dorm with another guy, they can coordinate and each buy/bring ONE, to split the cost -- unless there is the SPACE, and they each NEED and WANT to have their own private fridge and microwave.

re: linens
Check the college website, but MANY MANY dorms have the extra-long twin mattresses, so you'll need to buy sheets that fit.

re: laundry
A lot of times now that is paid for with an app, but some campuses still have coin operated, so he will need a roll of quarters if that is the case. Also he'll need laundry supplies -- a bag of those laundry packets and a ziplock with a handful of dryer sheets, plus a sturdy laundry bag that is tote-able to get to/from the laundry facility. Having 2 sets of towels is nice to extend the times between having to do laundry, and enough shirts, socks and underwear to be able to go up to 2 weeks between laundry was what worked for a lot of the guys on campus, so they only needed to do laundry about half a dozen times during the semester. 😉 

re: electronics
Phone, laptop and/or tablet, earbuds or headphones will be needed, plus all of the power cords and connecting cords -- and a power strip and an extra charger will be needed. A printer is often not needed anymore as many campuses have everything turned in electronically, or have a printer that students can pay to use for the rare print job.

Hopefully others will throw in their experiences for you. 😄 Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

4 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Since you haven't had any more responses, I'll throw in a few of our experiences specifically about these questions. 😉

Both of my guys tend to be "minimalists". When DS#1 went to college, I didn't send tons of stuff, but it turned out that I did send more with him than he needed or ever used, so if your DS is also a streamlined living kind of guy, he may not need a lot more than the basics.

A good, comfy backpack got used daily.  Also, an inexpensive wheeled, plastic drawer unit along the lines of this did double-duty as a night stand and holding all of the odds and ends.

I did wonder what to get for a nightstand and then realized he has 3 wooden boxes that are designed to stack on top of each other (he’s currently using them side by side in a closet. So, he’s going to take those three stacking boxes and stack them so they can double as a nightstand and a bookshelf for stuff to be stuffed into. 

He has a ton of drawer space otherwise—desk drawers, dresser drawers, a set of three drawers under his bathroom sink (just for him alone), and a set of drawers in the kitchen. Honestly, he has more drawers in his bathroom/sink than we do at home. I told him that maybe he can live at home and the rest of us will move into the dorm. 

Realistically, I think a lot of cleaning supplies only end up getting used at the end of each semester, when rooms have to pass muster by the RA before students can check out and not have to pay a cleaning fee, lol. BUT: DS did at least a few times have to use:

He ended up getting sick several times (germs pass around campus a lot), so sending cold and flu supplies is a good idea.

He asked for a long board (type of skateboard) that first Christmas (end of 1st semester at college), and he used that for getting around campus faster for the rest of his college time -- it was a smaller, self-contained campus with no restaurants or businesses within easy biking distance (needed to drive). So you may want to think about 

DS#1's second year in the dorm, he ended up with a snoring roommate, and I shipped him a container of foam sleeping ear plugs. But, stuff like that, you never know until it happens, so you can just wait and ship odds and ends as needed.

DS#1 never did make any food in his dorm room except for reheating the occasional frozen or box dinner out of his fridge. He had a meal plan and used that almost all of the time. Does your DS like to cook for himself and is planning on cooking at college? If not, then I wouldn't bother with kitchen ware other than what he needs for microwaving (like paper plates and napkins), plus a few ziplock bags for storing leftovers in the fridge. (I would normally use a plate or bowl for microwaving and plastic storage containers for the fridge, but that adds the layer of washing dishes, which DS#1 didn't want to do -- he just wanted disposable.)

I sent a small cutting board and kitchen knife, a pyrex measuring cup, and a single bowl/plate/set of silverware for kitchen use -- I don't think DS every used them, lol.

If your DS is sharing the kitchen portion of the dorm with another guy, they can coordinate and each buy/bring ONE, to split the cost -- unless there is the SPACE, and they each NEED and WANT to have their own private fridge and microwave.

Check the college website, but MANY MANY dorms have the extra-long twin mattresses, so you'll need to buy sheets that fit.

A lot of times now that is paid for with an app, but some campuses still have coin operated, so he will need a roll of quarters if that is the case. Also he'll need laundry supplies -- a bag of those laundry packets and a ziplock with a handful of dryer sheets, plus a sturdy laundry bag that is tote-able to get to/from the laundry facility. Having 2 sets of towels is nice to extend the times between having to do laundry, and enough shirts, socks and underwear to be able to go up to 2 weeks between laundry was what worked for a lot of the guys on campus, so they only needed to do laundry about half a dozen times during the semester. 😉 

Phone, laptop and/or tablet, earbuds or headphones will be needed, plus all of the power cords and connecting cords -- and a power strip and an extra charger will be needed. A printer is often not needed anymore as many campuses have everything turned in electronically, or have a printer that students can pay to use for the rare print job.

Hopefully others will throw in their experiences for you. 😄 Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2023 at 4:53 AM, Garga said:

I’m in the throes of trying to figure out useful things to bring

Depending on where his college is situated, for my DS18 the necessary and urgent items would be air purifier, humidifier and N95 masks. He would need to run the air purifier right after he gets his room key before unpacking else he runs the risk of hives from accumulated dust. His dorm room is air-conditioned so he would likely need his humidifier. The N95 masks are for the infamous California wildfires. He would also be bringing the disposable masks for flu season. 

Things like hair dryer (he has wavy long hair) and printer, we could buy from Amazon or Best Buy if the need arises. He would have printers to use at the common area but he does like to print out his assignments and it was mentioned on Reddit threads that common printers at the college he is going to tends to have issues. So the general advice from students there is to get your own if you like printing and use the school printers if you rarely print. 

We find Reddit threads most useful in figuring out what DS18 might need to have on day one and what can be bought later as the threads are specific to his dorm and college. For example, he would need an umbrella and cold weather jacket because while it is generally hot there, it can be cold enough for hail stones and light snow too. A nightstand is included in his dorm room so we don’t need to get him one. We do need to get him a small rack for his kettle and water filter pitcher as well as things he like to have in the open. My kids don’t like drawers because they can’t see what’s inside so a rack is useful.

• Like 1

He asked for a long board (type of skateboard) that first Christmas (end of 1st semester at college), and he used that for getting around campus faster for the rest of his college time -- it was a smaller, self-contained campus with no restaurants or businesses within easy biking distance (needed to drive). So you may want to think about 

Whoops - hit enter before I finished replying

Regarding cleaning supplies: 

That’s all I was getting for him, except it’ll be chlorox wipes for the sink and that spray stuff you can spray on the shower stall and walk away. I have told him that it’s up to him if he doesn’t want to clean. I certainly won’t care either way. Sometimes he likes things clean and tidies up a lot, and other times he just doesn’t care. He’ll have the stuff if he needs it, and if not then we’ll use it up over the summer when he brings it all back home. 🙂

Regarding things that turned out to be necessities:

I kept waffling about medicines. I think I’ll add a few of those, especially cough syrup. It would be frustrating to be sick and try to sleep at night and then start coughing. Probably a few basic flu/cold things are a good idea. It’s a 2-hour round trip for us to get to him if he was feeling rotten and needed some OTC stuff and we all work full time. Sounds like it’ll be a good idea for him to have enough for a few days without having to rely on us to help out.

Earplugs is a great idea. I had wondered about those as well. I use them a lot (at the movies, at church, at night), but I wasn’t sure if he would. They’re small enough to tuck away in one of those drawers.

Food and kitchen:

He can cook for himself, but I’m not sure he’ll want to mess with it. He likes to make mac and cheese in the microwave and maybe some sausages. I don’t really think he’ll do much more, since the school has a nice cafeteria and he can get 19 meals there a week. He’ll be on his own for 2 meals each week. . I wasn’t going to send paper plate because the waste makes me cringe a little, but was going to send only 2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 spoons, fork, knives. I’d kicked around the idea of measuring cups and a cutting board/knife and now I’m wondering if that’s worth it. I have extras in the house, so I might send those. If he doesn’t use them by December, he can bring them back home. I’m not going to buy new ones for him. Like I said before, not only does he have more drawers in his kitchen at the college, but he has more cupboard space, too, so the stuff will be rattling around in all those cupboards. (This is my introverted son who is very shy and until a few months ago was deeply dreading leaving home for college, so we sprung for the roomiest, nicest dorm room they offer. Fortunately, he’s turned a corner and is actually looking forward to going. Relief!)

He already has a fridge in his room at home that we inherited from a family member and he’ll take that with him. If his roommate has one, too, then either my son or the roommate can take one back home. He’s tried writing to the roommate to coordinate these things, but the roommate hasn’t written back, so we can’t assume anything either way. But, it won’t be a big deal to bring it back home. Same with the microwave. If they both have a fridge/microwave, we can figure out on moving in day who brings which back home.

Linen/Laundry/Electronics sounds like what we’ve already planned. The dorm beds are XL. 

Thank you for all the suggestions! It’s very helpful!

19 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Depending on where his college is situated, for my DS18 the necessary and urgent items would be air purifier, humidifier and N95 masks. He would need to run the air purifier right after he gets his room key before unpacking else he runs the risk of hives from accumulated dust. His dorm room is air-conditioned so he would likely need his humidifier. The N95 masks are for the infamous California wildfires. He would also be bringing the disposable masks for flu season. 

Things like hair dryer (he has wavy long hair) and printer, we could buy from Amazon or Best Buy if the need arises. He would have printers to use at the common area but he does like to print out his assignments and it was mentioned on Reddit threads that common printers at the college he is going to tends to have issues. So the general advice from students there is to get your own if you like printing and use the school printers if you rarely print. 

We find Reddit threads most useful in figuring out what DS18 might need to have on day one and what can be bought later as the threads are specific to his dorm and college. For example, he would need an umbrella and cold weather jacket because while it is generally hot there, it can be cold enough for hail stones and light snow too. A nightstand is included in his dorm room so we don’t need to get him one. We do need to get him a small rack for his kettle and water filter pitcher as well as things he like to have in the open. My kids don’t like drawers because they can’t see what’s inside so a rack is useful.

Normally we don’t have to worry about fires, but the fires from Canada have been making our air bad here lately. But this is unusual and a first for us. We’ll see how things continue.

He was going to take a pack of regular masks from the covid era, in case he gets sick with covid and doesn’t want to spread it to the roommate. 

The dorm my son is like this: there’s a shared kitchen counter with sink and drawers and cupboards above/below it. There’s a shared table that seats 4. There’s a shared couch and tv stand. 

There are two bathroom sinks with cupboard drawers, so each roommate has his own sink/cupboard/drawers. There’s a shared toilet and shower stall for the two of them. 

Then, they each have tiny little bedrooms with doors that has a bed, dresser, desk, and chair each. 

It’s larger than a lot of New York city apartments! But as I said earlier, he was very unhappy about leaving home, so we wanted to make this as easy for him as possible so we were able to get him the room with the most room and the fewest roommates. 

Space isn’t going to be a problem. In fact, it’s more likely the two of them will be rattling around in the space they have. 

But if one of the gets sick, then they could hole up in their rooms for the most part if necessary, and use masks in their communal areas. Then again, not sure what they do about food if they’re sick and have to schlep to the cafeteria to get it. Hmmm…what *do they do??

Hair dryer—that’s something to think about. My son also has long, thick, curly hair (can I admit that I’m a little bit jealous? I have fine, straight hair). I’ll ask him what he wants to do about that. 

Good idea about a jacket and umbrella. He won’t be able to just dash from the house to the car to get places. He’ll have to walk for 5 or 10 minutes to get from his dorm to various buildings. He might want an umbrella. 

Edited by Garga

11 minutes ago, Garga said:

But if one of the gets sick, then they could hole up in their rooms for the most part if necessary, and use masks in their communal areas. Then again, not sure what they do about food if they’re sick and have to schlep to the cafeteria to get it. Hmmm…what *do they do??

Costco delivery of instant ramen and broth 🤣 and maybe pay for Instacart service so that he can meet the delivery person near his room. 

• Like 1

Just now, Arcadia said:

Costco delivery of instant ramen and broth 🤣 and maybe pay for Instacart service so that he can meet the delivery person near his room. 

Thank you! It’s a different world out there nowadays and I forget about all the delivery “to your door” services that exist. 

@Garga When I lived in a dorm in the early 90s, majority of us kept dried rations in our rooms. While not ideal, pasteurized milk, broth in cartons, hot cocoa (can), clif bars equivalent, chamomile tea, ginger tea, jerky were all useful as emergency/when sick food. Even when there is a power outage, tea and coffee can be made with room temperature water.

ETA: 

DS18 will be bringing benadryl for allergies and it helps his cold as well, as well as aquaphor for his rashes. He can get things like Tylenol, Advil from the university health service or the school bookstore if he needs them. This kid does not like taking medicine. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

When I was a student, we didn't need dishes and silverware because we just took them from the dining hall if we wanted them, lol, and no one cared. But it turned out that was very necessary for dorm living now.

I second the stick vacuum. I thought... is this really going to get used? By my super messy son?!? But it was. It really was.

I sent a first aid pack. I made it ourselves in a little lunch cooler with a pill box. Each pill box area had something else - Benedryl, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, etc. Plus band aids, Miralax, cough medicine, Neosporin, etc. I needed to send it for my own peace of mind. But it got used.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Garga said:

... I wasn’t going to send paper plate because the waste makes me cringe a little, but was going to send only 2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 spoons, fork, knives...

I know. I totally cringed too, when I realized DS never used the single set of dishware and utensils I sent, but instead bought STYROFOAM disposable plates and plastic utensils from Walmart and used those so he wouldn't have to wash just those few dishes when he did the meal or two a week that was NOT part of his meal plan. ::fainting emoji::

And as a family we always worked hard to be environmentally sound and discuss that with DSs... Just sayin' that they WILL make their own choices once they're on their own, and sometimes those are NOT the choices you would have thought... 😱😩

• Like 3

I'm sending Kid2 to college this fall, and the list is not the same due to differences in kids, dorm set up, college style and availability.   

Laundry- how far is the laundry?  Stairs?  Will they bring clothes home to wash?  How much space and where will you put dirty clothes?  For one we chose hard hampers under the bed.  The second one is thinking laundry bags or backpack in the closet.  For both, I read a tip to buy the smallest laundry detergent container you could find and then refill it with a larger container in your room.  

Drying- get a drying rack and a towel rack or your kid will smell soured 😆  remind them that wet rags do not belong in the laundry hamper, or you will get moldy staining on your clothes!  

As an aside- don't send more than one load worth of towels- they don't need to over-stuff the washers!  

Bathroom- 3-4 towels, 10-15 face cloths, 3 hand towels if necessary.  Organizer for make up, face cleansers, toothbrush, etc.  This time I haven't been able to tell if she has drawers or what with the sink so I'm waiting to buy until I know what will work.  It may be all under-sink, in which case I'll be buying the drawers that sit underneath.   Trash can, place to store pads and TP.  Bath mat and shower curtain.  For shampoo, razors,  etc.  You will probably want a caddy or a hanging shower organizer, but some don't fit on the shower head.  I'm waiting to see!  

Bedroom- mattress protector and good padding!  Dorm mattresses are usually thin and hard.  We make headboards, pillows and wall decor ;)  This is the fun part!  Rug, curtains and a way to hang up everything (Command strips!)

Desk- Possibly a long cable for the internet, power strip and charging station.  Place to organize supplies.  My kids also got laptops and iPads- I think its nice if you can get both!  Lots of textbooks are online and the iPads are perfect for that, writing notes, downloading PowerPoint to study and write on.  Both of mine need heavier laptops to do their course work- big excell files, coding, and editing- so keep those in their dorm and take the iPad to class.  Good backpack- it's going to get a LOT of wear!!!

Kitchen Area- mini-fridge, microwave, 2 each of cups, plates, bowls, fork, spoon, knife.  Britain water filter. Good cutting knife (Rada), skillet, cookie sheet, and mixing bowl. Canisters for basic ingredients. I've got one that didn't do much but heat stuff up and another who will probably use the kitchen all weekend.  It sort of depends on the kid 🤷‍♀️ Something to organize everything!  

• Like 1