Menu

Favorite “get it done” chemistry?

Ds is one of those teens who doesn’t see the point of school.  I am trying to steer him towards things that interest him and could lead to a job later, but some things you just have to do.  Like chemistry.  I feel like a basic understanding is important, but I don’t want to bog him down in something he really doesn’t like.  What do y’all recommend?  Christian or secular is fine.

Friendly Chemistry -- covers the bases and is gentle.

Also, as a complete bunny trail from your request 😉 -- in regards to your DS "not seeing the point of school" and you trying to "steer towards interests/lead to a job later"... What about investigating the vocational-tech programs at your local community college (CC) as dual enrollment and start dabbling with some of those courses to see what may be of interest in the broad vo-tech field, or even potentially graduate high school simultaneously with a certificate or AAS?

Just to encourage you -- our DS#2 never saw the point of school. We gave him the best education we could all the way through homeschooling to graduation, and had a set of high school credits that were "college prep" in case he ever decided to head that way... But we also did a lot of flexible things for HOW we did credits to "fish" for potential interests. We also included a wide variety of extracurriculars so he could explore, too. Also, a lot of career exploration to get exposure to non-traditional occupations to see if anything there would spark interest. It really just took time, and getting out there working and doing various things until he could start narrowing things down.

Both my guys were "late-bloomers" about figuring out their career paths. It took both of them into their 20s. 😉

Also, you might check out these past threads for some out-of-the-box ideas for a student who is not "into" school/academics, and is potentially non-college bound:

"Launching an average kid"
"Non-college bound students"
"I get so depressed reading some posts on this board" 
(anyone else NOT have over-achievers?)

Forgive me if I overstepped or misunderstood and added not-needed info on a bunny trail not of help or interest to you. 😉
Wishing you and DS all the BEST! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Guest Hollow has a high school chemistry that has a 4 week brief component using Ellen McHenry's The Elements and The Joy of Chemistry. I'm getting ready to start it (just that brief portion) with ds right now, just because it has a language level I think I can get to fit him. I don't know if we'l go on to do the rest later. I had dd do the GA PBS chemistry that you can find online in entirety for free. I printed out all the worksheets to go with the lessons and she just sat there watching the videos and doing it. We needed to be very pragmatic at that point and it was something that could get done. 

Maybe it was this? https://www.gpb.org/chemistry-study-of-matter

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Friendly Chemistry -- covers the bases and is gentle.

Also, as a complete bunny trail from your request 😉 -- in regards to your DS "not seeing the point of school" and you trying to "steer towards interests/lead to a job later"... What about investigating the vocational-tech programs at your local community college (CC) as dual enrollment and start dabbling with some of those courses to see what may be of interest in the broad vo-tech field, or even potentially graduate high school simultaneously with a certificate or AAS?

Just to encourage you -- our DS#2 never saw the point of school. We gave him the best education we could all the way through homeschooling to graduation, and had a set of high school credits that were "college prep" in case he ever decided to head that way... But we also did a lot of flexible things for HOW we did credits to "fish" for potential interests. We also included a wide variety of extracurriculars so he could explore, too. Also, a lot of career exploration to get exposure to non-traditional occupations to see if anything there would spark interest. It really just took time, and getting out there working and doing various things until he could start narrowing things down.

Both my guys were "late-bloomers" about figuring out 

Also, you might check out these past threads for some out-of-the-box ideas for a student who is not "into" school/academics, and is potentially non-college bound:

"Launching an average kid"
"Non-college bound students"
"I get so depressed reading some posts on this board" 
(anyone else NOT have over-achievers?)

Forgive me if I overstepped or misunderstood and added not-needed info on a bunny trail not of help or interest to you. 😉
Wishing you and DS all the BEST! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I know I am not the OP but thank you for this post.  It is a relief to know I am not the only one.  I want to write a whole bunch of stuff but don't want take over someone else's thread.  But thanks.

20 hours ago, Lori D. said:

He is starting DE this fall.  He’s a little nervous about taking a college class, so we are starting with 1 and will see how it goes.  I’m hoping he sees that he can be successful there because the local CC he’s going to has a couple programs that will help him in getting a decent job in the field he’s interested in.  He won’t finish before graduation, but he should have a good start towards an AA.

• Like 1