Menu

Question about hiring professional movers

teachermom2834

We have done this once before but a relocation company handled and paid for it. We are absolutely certain we will be using professional movers, however, with zero attempt to DIY it.

What I envision doing is listing my house for sale and selling before we buy. I think it unlikely we will be able to coordinate directly going into a new purchase and we will be someplace temporarily for anywhere from a month to 3-4 months. There are only 3 of us and we could live even longer in a temporary situation if necessary and for various reasons this is how we are planning to do it and think it best.

So what I think I want to do is have movers come in and take out stuff and store it until we have our next home purchased and dh, dd, and I will only take what we really need for an extended vacation type stay in a short term furnished apartment or AirBnB type set up. So we need movers to come and partially pack (anything difficult or bulky) and move and store things for a few months and then deliver them. This is all local. Within about 30 miles. 

Is this something I can call around and get quotes for as soon as I list my house? Houses in my neighborhood are selling immediately. I actually feel like I want to know who my movers are going to be before I even list it so I can call and schedule asap. So I guess it is a reasonable thing to have people come out and give estimates before I even list? 

We have very little for our size house. We have been decluttering like crazy as the kids have launched and honestly most of what we had to survive our first two decades of marriage has served it usefulness. Very little we own is worth the cost of packing, storing, and moving. So we have some furniture but a lot is going to the curb. Many of our closets are empty. So our 2800 sq Ft, 4 BR house really is probably half that. We have no attic or basement. It’s going to be a pretty easy move. 

So I need quotes on a local move with storage. I also want to know what it would be to just have them pack. Because that could be totally worth it. What other questions do I need to ask? 

Also, if anyone wants to share a ballpark of what this kind of move cost them I would love to hear. 

I am sure people are going to come on here and say they thought they were going to do this and ended up not being able to buy a house and were in temporary housing for years, etc. and point out the folly in my plan. Point taken. 

I haven't moved in eight years (thank G-d) but yes,  you could ask several companies to come and do quotes for any of those options.  We've done exactly what you suggested twice now. Go do it now.  Don't wait if houses are selling like that. You want to get on their calendar asap. 

• Thanks 1

We moved last year and the year before.  We packed ourselves.  I want to say it was about $250 an hour for the movers, generally two guys.  We moved locally with a half price movers type of outfit.  I don't know about storage.  We downsized from a 1300 sq. ft house to a 928 sq ft apartment, and then the next move was up to a 1135 sq ft apartment, where we will stay.

• Thanks 1

Some moving companies won't store for you. They will take it to a storage place you rent and then get it back out when it's time.

As to costs, we've packed ourselves moves (last one was over 20 years ago) and done several corporate relocations/movers. dh knows that I am not willing to do a "pack it myself" move again. Granted, I don't expect that move to happen for at least 15 years and I'll have it 70 by then. 

• Thanks 1

My husband’s employer uses Allied Pickford. They gave us the option to store a shipping container size worth for 3 months as part of the relocation package and we can pay out of pocket to extend. When we have decided where to stay, they moved our packed items from their storage to our permanent place. Definitely get quotes. The relocation movers are used to moving out and storing and then moving in the stuff for families.

If you have a minivan, I would put what you don’t want pack into the minivan beforehand and let the professional movers pack the rest.  You might want to start getting quotes as people move during school holidays and movers get busy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I called one place today and the lady I talked to told me that as long as I have ten days lead time they should be able to get us scheduled. I do anticipate more time than that so that was reassuring. She also said she could send someone out for a quote but recommended I wait as long as possible because it will likely be cheaper when the summer rush passes. I want to list asap after my ds goes back to college early august but school start back first week in august here so our summer moving rush should be on the downside. I did appreciate her giving me that tip. 

• Like 1