Menu

protesting property taxes? (how do mere mortals find comps?)

Halftime Hope

Your country tax assessor has to use comps. Start there.  we had a field day one year with comparing the two, and how they were better properties than were ours.  (we had a hoarder across from us at the time. Grayhound bus, school bus, both filled to the rafters with junk.  Then the blackberries started eating them ... . A trailer on their property their daughter lived in . . . the property was vacant for several years after they left - and it was "the kegger house".  We shed no tears when it was torn down and three mcmansions were built in its place.

Next is redfin/other real estate software.

I was hoping for some nice app that would have recent sales, prices sold, and things like the house's square footage, number of bathrooms, and so on. Zillow only lists the last price on the listing on completed sales, not the actual sales price.

I hate to have to bug a realtor for comps, when I'm not planning to buy a house, and it's obvious I want it for property tax purposes, due to the time of year. (Deadline to file that you'll be appealing is May 15.)

I was able to find this information on Realtor. Our town just did a revaluation and our assessment went up a lot. Good in some ways but it means our taxes are going up 40-50%. And we live in a state with already high property taxes. I was hoping to find that they valued our house too high but that doesn’t seem to be the case, unfortunately. 

Our property tax listing has the value of the "improvements" (i.e., the house) + the value of the land, combined to make the total value. The "improvements" alone has been jacked up over the Zillow estimate on our property, bringing the total market valuation to over $80K higher than the Zillow estimate. I know Zillow estimates are not known for their accuracy, but the amount it says my house value grew this last year is insanity.

I finally found a similar size home on Zillow that sold in February with a price on it: $100K less than my valuation. Sheesh...   (That's one comp.)

I'm still hoping for an easier way to do this.

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

Our property tax listing has the value of the "improvements" (i.e., the house) + the value of the land, combined to make the total value. The "improvements" alone has been jacked up over the Zillow estimate on our property, bringing the total market valuation to over $80K higher than the Zillow estimate. I know Zillow estimates are not known for their accuracy, but the amount it says my house value grew this last year is insanity.

I finally found a similar size home on Zillow that sold in February with a price on it: $100K less than my valuation. Sheesh...   (That's one comp.)

I'm still hoping for an easier way to do this.

Can you hire an assessor, like banks use when you buy a house?  I think ours was around $500 so it might not be worth the money.  They might have better prices for individuals though. 

11 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

Can you hire an assessor, like banks use when you buy a house?  I think ours was around $500 so it might not be worth the money.  They might have better prices for individuals though. 

Thanks for the thought. I need to do this without it being spendy. 

I'll use the comps myself now that I know I have to go back in time (3 months). I was hoping for an easy-to-use free app, and I assumed it would be current.

My son-in-law used an app that knew scary amounts of info about properties when they were buying a house, but that had a subscription.  I might look into a trial period.  ??

• Like 1