Menu

Giant cookie instead of cake and/or graduation party thread

kbutton

So, my son wants a giant chocolate chip cookie instead of a cake...where do you get one, and do you have to order ahead? We have Kroger, Sam's, Meijer, Walmart nearby.

Baking one might be an option--if anyone has a recipe, mix, or pan to recommend, I am all ears. I am not sure how to figure out servings for people, but we might just do brownie bites or other cookies with it (hoping to have time to make hammer shaped butter cookies) so that we don't have to figure that out.

He wants it to be decorated, but I don't think it has to be fancy, so I can probably do that. 

Anyone want to crowdsource this or other graduation party tips/ideas? 

• Like 1

I have made chocolate chip pan cookies before (use same recipe as chocolate chip cookie recipe) spread onto a sheet pan and bake.  Super easy and delicious and you can decorate when complete…also much cheaper ( and I think better) than one you will find at a grocery store.

• Like 3

Maybe just do a trial run.
I make large 4" diameter chocolate chip cookies all the time, and made 100 for our son's wedding rehearsal dinner.

I guess I'd jump at the chance to serve a very affordable dessert.
Maybe add ice cream on the side, if desired.  Or milk.

This is my basic recipe, without the pecans. 
https://crisco.com/recipe/ultimate-chocolate-chip-cookies/

ETA = I make a large batch of dough & freeze it ahead of time, then bake it on the day-of, for that deliciously fresh taste!

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, DinCO said:

I have made chocolate chip pan cookies before (use same recipe as chocolate chip cookie recipe) spread onto a sheet pan and bake.  Super easy and delicious and you can decorate when complete…also much cheaper ( and I think better) than one you will find at a grocery store.

This is good to know! We have a recipe we like for regular choco chip cookies, so maybe this is the way to go. 

35 minutes ago, Beth S said:

Maybe just do a trial run.
I make large 4" diameter chocolate chip cookies all the time, and made 100 for our son's wedding rehearsal dinner.

I guess I'd jump at the chance to serve a very affordable dessert.
Maybe add ice cream on the side, if desired.  Or milk.

This is my basic recipe, without the pecans. 
https://crisco.com/recipe/ultimate-chocolate-chip-cookies/

ETA = I make a large batch of dough & freeze it ahead of time, then bake it on the day-of, for that deliciously fresh taste!

I think a trial run is in order! Our regular cookie recipe is much like the one you posted. 

I am very happy to serve an affordable dessert, for sure! We're not doing a super fancy party, but I want him to like what we do. 

• Like 3

I have done them, but not round. I just make up double batches of dough and spread on sheet pans, then ice with chocolate icing. The wording isn't hard if you choose to go simple, no scrolls.

The bakery wanted quite a lot of money to make a 12" diameter cookie with the word congratulations on it. I saved a bundle just doing it myself. We served with ice cream, and it was very popular.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I have done them, but not round. I just make up double batches of dough and spread on sheet pans, then ice with chocolate icing. The wording isn't hard if you choose to go simple, no scrolls.

The bakery wanted quite a lot of money to make a 12" diameter cookie with the word congratulations on it. I saved a bundle just doing it myself. We served with ice cream, and it was very popular.

Does anyone have suggestions on cooking time for the big cookies made with regular cookie dough?

We have a shop called The Great Cookie or something like that in our mall’s food court. It’s where we always got giant cookies because occasionally a kid asked for that instead of a cake. They decorate them a little bit if you want a name or something on it. Maybe they have a copycat recipe?

• Like 2

Like previous posters, I just make bar cookies from the Nestle Toll House recipe on the bag.  Simple and delicious!   I particularly like baking them in a 13 x 9 casserole dish or pan, but I imagine you could also use a pizza pan for a similar result, though you might have to adjust the recipe for thickness. 

• Thanks 1

I have a couple very large round pizza pans and have done this. It's not particularly hard, and honestly for a party I would just go to the store, buy several tubes of the premade dough, pat it in, and call it good. It's literally that easy. Just bake low and slow and you'll be fine. For the decorating you could get the tubes of decorating gel, easy peasy.

If you want it done, maybe just call around. I don't like the walmart baked goods as well as kroger or giant eagle. Meijer is probably fine. Sam's Club is much better than walmart for baked goods. 

https://www.amazon.com/American-Metalcraft-HATP24-Thickness-Aluminum/dp/B00575KT9K/ref=sr_1_57?keywords=stainless+steel+pizza+pan&qid=1682985394&sr=8-57

This is 24" and would do nicely. Spray with baking spray so it releases. 

Edited by PeterPan

On 4/30/2023 at 4:18 PM, kbutton said:

hammer shaped butter cookies

Maybe find your local cookie decorating person and have them make a cookie cutter if they don't have one. They will 3d print them. Or provide the cutter. You could buy one on etsy.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

I have also done air fryer large single chocolate chip cookie. I use a cake mix, and the largest circular cake pan that can go into my 8 quart air fryer. My kids like chocolate chips so I sprinkle some Costco or Nestle choc chips before baking. 

• Like 1