Menu

Lit based chemistry

My youngest, rising 7th, is heading into chemistry this fall. We already have a pile of books to read through, though they were collected for kids who have already graduated. I'd love to hear of any more recent treasures! Or maybe there's a fabulous older one we missed. 🙂

We also have not settled on a secular spine. The middle school ones seem... shallow. But I'm not sure he's ready for the Suchocki text. The high school "big fat notebook" and DK's Chemistry Book are on my list to check out at B&N. 

I was going to suggest Suchocki, but I see you've already thought about that one...

No personal familiarity with either of these, so you'll have to skim through and decide if any of these works:

Libre Texts: CHEM100: Fundamentals of Chemistry -- free online text
CK12: Chemistry for High School -- free online text
Crash Course Chemistry -- free online videos

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! 🩷

Zumdahl would be harder than Suchocki if I recall correctly? The Suchocki text is Conceptual Chemistry. 

Guesthollow is not secular but I'll look through the booklists. 👍

I've never heard of Libre Texts and it looks interesting. I'm not sure why CC never crossed my brain but he'd probably do well with them. 

He's definitely ready for some high school concepts but he's not ready for high school level work or dense textbooks. There seems to be such a huge gap in chemistry curricula between highschool and anything lower. Searching the board archives showed this same complaint. 🙃 He needs more hows and whys. 

I did see Radium Girls has a young reader version now! We already have Itch, The Disappearing Spoon, Napoleon's Buttons, The Periodic Kingdom, etc. 

4 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

Thanks! 🩷

Zumdahl would be harder than Suchocki if I recall correctly? The Suchocki text is Conceptual Chemistry. 

Guesthollow is not secular but I'll look through the booklists. 👍

I've never heard of Libre Texts and it looks interesting. I'm not sure why CC never crossed my brain but he'd probably do well with them. 

He's definitely ready for some high school concepts but he's not ready for high school level work or dense textbooks. There seems to be such a huge gap in chemistry curricula between highschool and anything lower. Searching the board archives showed this same complaint. 🙃 He needs more hows and whys. 

I did see Radium Girls has a young reader version now! We already have Itch, The Disappearing Spoon, Napoleon's Buttons, The Periodic Kingdom, etc. 

I am a few chapters in to the YR version of Radium Girls now. 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, desertflower said:

What is Radium Girls?  Can you please provide a link?  Thanks.

It's a book book, and there's a movie now too. 

My older kids read this one in high school. The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women (Harrowing Historical Nonfiction Bestseller About a Courageous Fight for Justice) https://a.co/d/1KZxBPg

I'd get the young reader version for my 12yo. The Radium Girls: Young Readers' Edition: The Scary but True Story of the Poison that Made People Glow in the Dark https://a.co/d/1UHudDU

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/28/2023 at 7:41 PM, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

That might just work with him. Cutting and pasting figures on a timeline is the extent of craftiness he will tolerate. 😄

Everything You Need to Ace Chemistry in One Big Fat Notebook (The Complete High School Study Guide) is going to be our spine. This with Crash Course videos will give him more advanced concepts in brief and well explained lessons. Completing both of them will leave him with plenty of time for reading good books, and if they get too thick we'll work it out through discussion. No tests, no pressure.

We already have Gray's Elements, the Itch trilogy, Radioactive Boy Scout, Cartoon Guide to Chemistry, Periodic Kingdom, and more I'm surely forgetting. From the adult/high school shelf I'm pulling Periodic Tales: A Cultural History of the Elements and The Poisoner's Handbook for him.

I'm adding Why is Milk White, Radium Girls young reader, Dr Joe and What You Didn't Know, Caesar's Last Breath, and That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles to our library. 

Big brother says we really need to use periodicvideos.com with him, so he can learn to pronounce aluminium correctly. 😂

Disappearing Spoon also has a young reader version now. The regular one is in the history of science schedule we plan to use for his 8th grade, but I'm adding it for anyone else who may be interested.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 2:12 PM, SilverMoon said:

Everything You Need to Ace Chemistry in One Big Fat Notebook (The Complete High School Study Guide) is going to be our spine. This with Crash Course videos will give him more advanced concepts in brief and well explained lessons. Completing both of them will leave him with plenty of time for reading good books, and if they get too thick we'll work it out through discussion. No tests, no pressure.

We already have Gray's Elements, the Itch trilogy, Radioactive Boy Scout, Cartoon Guide to Chemistry, Periodic Kingdom, and more I'm surely forgetting. From the adult/high school shelf I'm pulling Periodic Tales: A Cultural History of the Elements and The Poisoner's Handbook for him.

I'm adding Why is Milk White, Radium Girls young reader, Dr Joe and What You Didn't Know, Caesar's Last Breath, and That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles to our library. 

Big brother says we really need to use periodicvideos.com with him, so he can learn to pronounce aluminium correctly. 😂

Disappearing Spoon also has a young reader version now. The regular one is in the history of science schedule we plan to use for his 8th grade, but I'm adding it for anyone else who may be interested.

You probably already know this, but Gray has a couple of sequels to Elements. We have been working through the Molecules one, and my kids really enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Napoleon's Buttons is good, with an emphasis on chemistry that may have changed history.  However, the chemistry level is probably too high for a logic level student, more like strong high-school or college/interested adults.  There are lots of comparisons of similar organic structures, easily accessible for AP level students.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/14/2023 at 9:13 PM, pmeilaen said:

Here is a wonderful list of great chemistry books for homeschoolers from Sabbath Mood Homeschool.

Thanks! That site lumps religious and secular books together without marking them so it's a bit of a hunting expedition. 🙃 Lit based science above elementary is just harder to find. 😐

Unless something amazing or actually inclusive comes along I think we're set now. There was pile of biographies, Library of Subatomic Particles, etc already on the shelf for him along with books mentioned above. 

The wall table of elements linked above has been a fun addition! 🤘

20 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

Thanks! That site lumps religious and secular books together without marking them so it's a bit of a hunting expedition. 🙃 Lit based science above elementary is just harder to find. 😐

Unless something amazing or actually inclusive comes along I think we're set now. There was pile of biographies, Library of Subatomic Particles, etc already on the shelf for him along with books mentioned above. 

The wall table of elements linked above has been a fun addition! 🤘

Oh, I did not see that you were just interested in secular books.

• Like 1