Menu

mom update

ktgrok

As of this morning she was saying she will likely be discharged Friday or next monday. In her mychart I see her latest xray still has some pleural effusions, and her labwork shows low protein, low albumin, low ALT. The woman is malnourished. And throwing away the protein supplement they give her twice a day! Low albumin is a risk factor for the fluid in the lungs. I have said this. I also told her today to ask about a protein bar instead of the shakes she doesn't like. Sigh. 

• Sad 16

12 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

I was just about to ask how she was doing...I hope you are able to get cooperation on getting her something nourishing on board.

Thanks. She IS eating now. But I know she also worries about gaining weight from the steroids, and has never loved protein foods very much. When she gets discharged she will drink protein shakes she makes herself (or dad makes) but hates the premade kind they giver her at the hospital. BUT if she keeps having fluid filling up places it shouldn't she won't get discharged. I told her to ask about bars, and when she brought up her xray I gently reminded her to get in as much protein as possible, since her albumin is low and that is what keeps fluid where it belongs. 

• Like 6

Has your mom tried Pediasure? It's for kids - but if your mother actually likes it, perhaps you could ask her health care providers if it is an alternative for her (unlike the adult version, which I find revolting, Pediasure is delicious IMO, but very very sweet).

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

Has your mom tried Pediasure? It's for kids - but if your mother actually likes it, perhaps you could ask her health care providers if it is an alternative for her (unlike the adult version, which I find revolting, Pediasure is delicious IMO, but very very sweet).

oh, we could check. She has to be on low potassium stuff, as her electrolytes are still messed up. High potassium and low sodium and calcium and chloride. I'm not sure how much that is due to the diuretics she is on and how much is malnutrition or what. 

Orgain makes a kids and adults protein shake that cold tastes like a chocolate milkshake.  If I remember correctly, the vegan one was the lowest for potassium.  It was the only one DH would tolerate as he hates protein shakes when he had a few surgeries.  

When she is home, blend with ice and it really does become a milkshake.  And I used them for making pudding pops for the really I can’t have another one of these days. 

My son likes the cookie dough flavored protein bars. Some brand name from Kroger (zone?) and then the ones from Aldi. I am sure you could find a label online. His nutritionist said that 10 grams of protein is the threshold where most people find that they taste pretty bad, lol! I appreciated that insight when we were trying them out.