Menu

Can I get a vented range hood for a realistic price?

KungFuPanda

18 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I want a new under-cabinet range hood. Mine is original to the house. The location has an exterior wall about 18-24 inches to the right. Can I get a range hood that’s understated and smallish, and vents outside, for less than $300?

Hmmm. Dh put ours in. Pretty sure it was around $300, but it vents into the attic.  

Edited by Scarlett

I want one that’s mounts under a cabinet and looks like a regular not-fancy one, but actually vents out that side wall. I can’t really sacrifice my cabinets above the stove and I don’t want to go up three stories when the exterior wall is a foot away. I just don’t know if this is a thing that exists. 

I do love @Scarlett’s blue kitchen and vast expanse of butcher block. I just converted my island to butcher block and the warmth and practicality are everything. 

Small and sleek is in apparently as I have been looking at over the stove microwaves and have seen some small vent hoods.  I think they were 300-500 but I wasn’t really keeping tract to the price as it wasn’t on my list.  

Also, try marketplace and local sell groups on Facebook as I see these come up a lot.  People buy them and then discover it is too big/small and can’t return it. They usually got pretty reasonable. 

24 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I want one that’s mounts under a cabinet and looks like a regular not-fancy one, but actually vents out that side wall. I can’t really sacrifice my cabinets above the stove and I don’t want to go up three stories when the exterior wall is a foot away. I just don’t know if this is a thing that exists. 

I do love @Scarlett’s blue kitchen and vast expanse of butcher block. I just converted my island to butcher block and the warmth and practicality are everything. 

thank you.  

I can’t really wrap my mind around what you are asking. With a real vent you have to sacrifice some cabinet somewhere…..and are you saying your vent will be off to the side of your stove? Will that be effective? Could. You put it above the stove and then put the side wall?  

Edited by Scarlett

12 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

thank you.  

I can’t really wrap my mind around what you are asking. With a real vent you have to sacrifice some cabinet somewhere…..and are you saying your vent will be off to the side of your stove? Will that be effective? Could. You put it above the stove and then put the side wall?  

Ok, I guess I don’t know how they work. I want a vent that pulls the cooking air out of the house instead of just through a filter. I was thinking of sacrificing a shelf with a hose roughly the size of a dryer vent, but not actually loose the cabinetry. Certainly not all the cabinets above the stove. 

The hood would be in the normal spot, but vent to the left out the wall. 

Edited by KungFuPanda

3 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Ok, I guess I don’t know how they work. I want a vent that pulls the cooking air out of the house instead of just through a filter. I was thinking of sacrificing a shelf with a hose roughly the size of a dryer vent, but not actually loose the cabinetry. Certainly not all the cabinets above the stove. 

Dh says a 4 inch line can be used.  It will go into your cabinet space but won’t eliminate the cabinets altogether like mine vent hood.  You have a second story above your kitchen?

19 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

This is the visual. I have a second story and an attic above the kitchen. I’m not sure where the joists are, but it’s possible the bulkhead is empty. 

667DE88E-9F78-482E-AD06-DDABD3BC1E29.jpeg

So in this illustration is it to the left or right  you want to exit?

We had this same issue, though with the added joy of brick that we had to deal with. We removed the sheetrock in the area behind the kitchen and put sheet metal in between the studs and ran it up to the ceiling and then along the ceiling to go outside where we would not have to deal with going through the brick. We then hid it all behind sheetrock. The fan is at the exterior wall instead of in the hood to keep the noise level down. I absolutely hate the sound of the fan and when we were trying to find a quiter one we kept encountering store employees who couldn't fathom a quite fan because "how would you know if it is on?" It is a custom set up and not exactly cheap.

4 hours ago, SHP said:

We had this same issue, though with the added joy of brick that we had to deal with. We removed the sheetrock in the area behind the kitchen and put sheet metal in between the studs and ran it up to the ceiling and then along the ceiling to go outside where we would not have to deal with going through the brick. We then hid it all behind sheetrock. The fan is at the exterior wall instead of in the hood to keep the noise level down. I absolutely hate the sound of the fan and when we were trying to find a quiter one we kept encountering store employees who couldn't fathom a quite fan because "how would you know if it is on?" It is a custom set up and not exactly cheap.

Oh man I would love to not hear my fan.  

But yes what you are describing would need someone with the skill set to do a work around. Dh is great at this kind of stuff. 

The hood itself can be super cheap.  You can probably get what you want for $200 or less.  We installed an outdoor venting fan hood about 5 years ago and had a similar set-up.  We had to take the exhaust pipe up into the cabinet above the stove.  The rest of the cabinet is still usable but there is a duct coming up into it and then it turns and runs across the back of the top shelves of two adjacent cabinets before going out an exterior wall.  We did it ourselves so there was not much in labor costs, just some ducting and related materials.  Someone who actually knew what they were doing could probably do it in two hours so you would have to add that expense in.  It actually took us about 6 hours but we did NOT know what we were doing and there was (borrowed) scaffolding involved as the vent exit is two stories from the ground on that side of the house.

I will say it was worth every bit of cost and hassle.  I cook a LOT and I also can a lot.  The old through-a-filter fan hood was doing nothing to keep the moisture and/or heat down.  And now with all the concern about gas stoves, which I do have, it is nice peace of mind that the air above the stove is being removed right away.  I am super pleased with the exterior exhaust set-up.  

• Like 1