Menu

Where should we tour?

Acorn

For someone interested in computer engineering or maybe electrical engineering, wants to stay around Ohio region, might be national merit semifinalist, good variety of extracurricular activities but not a great writer so not expecting scholarships based on essays.

We know “we” want to see Ohio State Univ, Univ of Cinn, Miami Univ-Ohio, Purdue, and where else?

Case Western, Rose Holman and Norte Dame are probably possible for admission but not tuition. 

• Like 1

I would take a look at Toledo.  They have a lot of different programs, and they are bit less competitive stats-wise then the ones you listed.

Maybe BGSU.

On Kassia's list, Ohio Northern and Xavier are both privates.  Xavier doesn't really have a tech reputation.  If you are okay with spending $$$, look at U Dayton over Xavier.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I would take a look at Toledo.  They have a lot of different programs, and they are bit less competitive stats-wise then the ones you listed.

Maybe BGSU.

On Kassia's list, Ohio Northern and Xavier are both privates.  Xavier doesn't really have a tech reputation.  If you are okay with spending $$$, look at U Dayton over Xavier.

I forgot about Dayton - that's a good one to consider.

Surprisingly, Toledo was very stingy with merit aid when my kids applied there.  They got better scholarships at Ohio State and other schools.  But this was a long time ago.  

ETA - of course, Toledo would still be less than a private without scholarships.

Edited by Kassia
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Surprisingly, Toledo was very stingy with merit aid when my kids applied there.  They got better scholarships at Ohio State and other schools.  But this was a long time ago.  

That's really good to know. It is on our list.  I am surprised Ohio State gave good scholarships because they have so many students.  What as the major that your child applied for?

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

That's really good to know. It is on our list.  I am surprised Ohio State gave good scholarships because they have so many students.  What as the major that your child applied for?

My twins applied to both OSU and University of Toledo for engineering (computer and electrical).  They got better merit aid at OSU then Toledo, which we were really surprised about.  But they graduated from high school 10 years ago so that was a long time ago!  

ETA - one of my sons applied to Pitt and was offered a full tuition scholarship, yet Toledo offered so little! 

Edited by Kassia
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cintinative said:

if you mean University of Pittsburgh, his stats must have been high. 😃 Their average ACT is 28-33.  =0 

Yes, stats were high which made the low Toledo offer really surprising!  Cheaper to go to University of Pittsburgh than Toledo!  He ended up going to OSU though and loved it.  He's the kind of guy who would be happy anywhere though.  

• Like 1