Menu

February Healthy Eating

Selkie

So today began with the usual coffee bean annihilation. Somebody had better be working on growing these things on the moon in case Mark and I make the extinct on earth.

An orange

Lunch - leftover mac n cheese (wasn't very much) and roast veggies.

Dinner - large veggie laden salads plus homemade spaghetti. I Bobby Flayed the heck out of my sauce. We had fresh parmesan on top and gf noodles.

No snacks. Lots of water, and Mark is downing a lot of cinnamon tea.

• Like 5

Thursday

Breakfast: carrot/orange/ginger juice, oatmeal

Lunch: fruit salad with grapefruit, avocado, pineapple, and orange

Dinner: brocolli soup

I'm fighting a cold that seems to want to go to my chest, so I didn't really feel like eating much today. That carrot/orange/ginger juice really seems to help when I am sick.

• Like 5

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, barley flakes, pineapple, Galia melon, blueberries, apple, Asian pear, guava, kiwi, banana, pomegranate, lemon and orange zest, fig, apricot, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Ezekiel toast with almond butter and Laura Ann’s no-sugar-added jam.

Dinner - We finished off the creamy southwestern soup. Also had an artichoke and a black bean burger patty.

• Like 5

Today was off kilter. I had the airport run to pick up my mom who flew from Bama. Due to the ice storm and the roads on this end being terrible, I was gone eight hours which made meals tricky.

Coffee bean massacre.

Scrambled eggs with potatoes, red peppers, mushrooms, and green onion.

Hummus and carrot sticks when I got home.

I feel quite hungry. But it is 9:36, and I am reluctant to eat this late.

• Like 5

Thursday

Breakfast--Slammed in a banana before class, then grabbed another one midway through. Then on my way to gyrotonics I had some blueberries and a slice of gf bread. 

Lunch--Toasted up some potato puffs and had a thin, bunless burger with them.

Snack--A friend gave me a lovely bar of df Mexican cocoa with ground almonds and spices. I melted it into some milkadamia and enjoyed the treat. 

Dinner--Skinless chicken thighs with sweet potatoes and onions in a lovely, lemony broth. Also had a cup of pears in 100% juice.

• Like 5

On 2/7/2023 at 7:22 PM, Selkie said:

Quick update: I am at the halfway point in my Cornell plant based nutrition program and am absolutely loving it. My brain is definitely being stretched! So far, we have been taught by Drs. T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn, and Dean Ornish, with Michael Greger and Neal Barnard up next - it’s like being taught by the Mt. Rushmore of nutrition! I finished the first class, Nutrition in Society, and am midway through the second, Nutrition and Chronic Disease. I wish the information in this program was easily accessible for everyone, as it would prevent so much human suffering and improve the quality of so many lives.🌱

I am so happy to hear this and so excited for you! I have thought of you and this class and wondered how it was going. My health has been kicking me in the butt the past few weeks, so I haven’t been able to read/keep up with this thread. My DH and I have been watching Dr Fuhrman’s DVDs together and really enjoying them. Some of the things he has said - like every Parkinson’s patient he has tested has had extremely low DHA levels - has really resonated with us. I agree that I wish the information regarding health and diet were accessible to everyone. I know someone who had a massive stroke in January and have have been floored by the comments of, “Wow, I didn’t know someone (obese, heavy drinker) so young (60) could have a stroke!” I am so sad for the family. 

On 2/9/2023 at 10:05 PM, Harriet Vane said:

I have to eat gluten free, too. 

The absolute best and easiest gluten-free bread I have found is from Gluten-Free Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois

Oh, I need that cookbook. I made a no knead bread, gluten free, vegan, at Christmas and it was so good! I have been wanting to explore this more. 

On 2/9/2023 at 11:14 PM, Harriet Vane said:

Also meant to say--I find chickpea flour has a lovely, savory flavor. 

I make socca with chickpea flour. Equal parts flour and water. I do add some spices to it, generally turmeric, black pepper, garlic, then whatever flavor profile I am going with. We eat it with hummus, white bean dip or soup. 

• Like 6

Selkie, Did you see the recent YouTube video on Rancho Gordo? Loved it! 
I made an awesome soup last week with their yellow eye beans, vegetable broth and carrots and collard greens from local regenerative ag farm. I also added two cans of organic tomatoes - one a roasted green tomatoes, the other a diced tomato with cilantro and jalapeño. I didn’t add any spices as the diced tomato had enough to carry the soup. 
The black garbanzo beans from Rancho Gordo have also been a hit with us. So far, I have just cooked them to have on hand to use in salads.
One of the Dr Fuhrman episodes we watched recently was on cooking - salads, soups and smoothies. He mentioned batch cooking and meal prep, esp soups to have on hand. It was funny timing because I had just made this soup and remembering that I used to make a large soup to have on hand for the week. Then he said that in the dvd. So adding that to my weekly meal plan. 

• Like 5

B: little taco with cheddar, an egg, lots of parsley and cilantro, scallion

L: a nori roll with leftover basmati rice, an egg, scallion

Snack: some quinoa, some chocolate that I ate instead of threw away!

S: green coconut curry chicken and green beans, no rice

Today I'll make my tabouli for lunch, then back to salad for supper. 

• Like 5

Today was "slaughter the coffee and then eat out the fridge" day. We are leaving for Alabama tomorrow, so we needed to use up a bunch of fresh veggies, some oranges, and potatoes. 

Baked potatoes

Huge salads

Oranges

Carrots, celery, and dip

We just ate throughout the day as we ran around doing things. No set schedule.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I am so happy to hear this and so excited for you! I have thought of you and this class and wondered how it was going. My health has been kicking me in the butt the past few weeks, so I haven’t been able to read/keep up with this thread. My DH and I have been watching Dr Fuhrman’s DVDs together and really enjoying them. Some of the things he has said - like every Parkinson’s patient he has tested has had extremely low DHA levels - has really resonated with us. I agree that I wish the information regarding health and diet were accessible to everyone. I know someone who had a massive stroke in January and have have been floored by the comments of, “Wow, I didn’t know someone (obese, heavy drinker) so young (60) could have a stroke!” I am so sad for the family. 

So sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling well, and I hope you are doing better now. 

I am just finishing up the last of the three classes in the program and will be sorry when it ends. Initially, I wondered if it would be worth the cost, since I don’t have plans to use the certificate professionally, but it has been absolutely phenomenal and I’m so glad I did it. Dh isn’t enrolled but has been watching all the classes with me, and he has found it all extremely interesting, too.

In addition to the doctors that I’ve already blabbed on about in previous posts, recent highlights have been Dr. Brooke Goldner (who taught the section on autoimmune disease), Drs. Dean and Ayesha Sherzai (on brain health), and Dr. Doug Lisle (on the psychology behind why people have trouble sticking with a healthy diet). 

What makes me very hopeful is that so many of my classmates are medical professionals who realize that nutrition education was missing (but very much needed) in their medical training. They’ve all expressed the desire to do more than prescribe meds to manage their patients’ chronic health problems. They want to learn how to help people regain their health through nutrition and other lifestyle changes, and that is great to see.

About DHA - I’ve heard Dr. Fuhrman talk about that in relation to Parkinson’s, too. Have you had your omega 3 index tested? I had mine tested through OmegaQuant and it was at the low end of Dr. Fuhrman’s acceptable range (his range is different than OmegaQuant’s - he thinks their acceptable range is too high). I bumped up the amount of algae supplement I take and am going to retest to see if my level has risen.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

Selkie, Did you see the recent YouTube video on Rancho Gordo? Loved it! 
I made an awesome soup last week with their yellow eye beans, vegetable broth and carrots and collard greens from local regenerative ag farm. I also added two cans of organic tomatoes - one a roasted green tomatoes, the other a diced tomato with cilantro and jalapeño. I didn’t add any spices as the diced tomato had enough to carry the soup. 
The black garbanzo beans from Rancho Gordo have also been a hit with us. So far, I have just cooked them to have on hand to use in salads.
One of the Dr Fuhrman episodes we watched recently was on cooking - salads, soups and smoothies. He mentioned batch cooking and meal prep, esp soups to have on hand. It was funny timing because I had just made this soup and remembering that I used to make a large soup to have on hand for the week. Then he said that in the dvd. So adding that to my weekly meal plan. 

I always mess up multi quote, hence the separate post to answer this…🙃

No, I haven’t seen it, but I will look for it! Your soup sounds amazing and I am so glad you are enjoying your beans!

This would sound crazy to most people, but I know you will get it…I have been revamping my pantry just so that I can display all my beautiful beans in glass jars. I call it my bean closet, lol. I just love looking at them, and being able to see what I have, rather than sorting through bags upon bags that are crammed on the shelves. It is slow going because life has been so busy lately, but I’m going to post a pic if I ever get it done!

• Like 4

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with mayocoba beans, oats, barley flakes, banana, guava, kiwi, pineapple, Galia melon, apple, Asian pear, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, lemon and lime zest, fig, apricot, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Roasted veggie sandwich on whole grain pita (summer squash, mushrooms, scallions, beets, edamame, cashew mayo, mustard). A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - I tried Monkey and Me’s Pizza Chili recipe and it is a keeper. I used three kinds of beans (pinto, kidney, and black soybean) and added my usual mushrooms and collard greens. I made my homemade oil-free tortilla chips to go with it.

• Like 4

Friday

Breakfast--df plain yoghurt with a swizzle of raw honey and low-sugar granola

Lunch--sandwich: gf bread, roast beef, 1 slice salami for flavor, mayo and dijon mustard, also an orange on the side

Snack--Finished off the last little bit of yesterday's Mexican cocoa in milkadamia

Dinner--Such a colossal disappointment. Dh and I had to grind through some boring logistics for a couple hours this afternoon. We were completely brain-dead and unable to face the originally-planned supergreen soup. Dh suggested we order pizza and that sounded very exciting! I ordered a cheeseless cauliflower crust pizza with a zillion vegetables and sausage from the only place with a decent gf crust. I've learned that I don't notice the lack of cheese when it's loaded to the gills. They messed up the order badly--my pizza was a dumb, dry cracker with only onion, artichoke hearts, and bacon?!! No sauce. No other vegetables. No sausage. Whoever made it was either confused or got interrupted and lost track of what they were doing. We didn't want to waste another hour trying to get another one (40 minutes driving there and back, plus time for them to cook it). The manager was both embarrassed and really apologetic and we had no problems getting a refund for it, but I was kind of sad to see my silly Friday night pizza party go up in smoke. I nibbled at it for a bit and also had a piece of raw, vegan, gf tiramisu I'd picked up at the grocery store that was surprisingly good. Who knew dates and cashews could be so yummy. Rounded it all off with a cup of peaches in 100% juice.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Selkie said:

I always mess up multi quote, hence the separate post to answer this…🙃

No, I haven’t seen it, but I will look for it! Your soup sounds amazing and I am so glad you are enjoying your beans!

This would sound crazy to most people, but I know you will get it…I have been revamping my pantry just so that I can display all my beautiful beans in glass jars. I call it my bean closet, lol. I just love looking at them, and being able to see what I have, rather than sorting through bags upon bags that are crammed on the shelves. It is slow going because life has been so busy lately, but I’m going to post a pic if I ever get it done!

LOL Same! I also have a shelf with dried fruits in glass canning jars. I love them stored that way. So beautiful to look at. 

• Like 4

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, banana, guava, pineapple, Galia melon, blueberries, pomegranate, dragon fruit, passion fruit, apple, pear, fig, apricot, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Ezekiel toast with avocado, mushrooms, scallions, cucumber, beets, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha.

Dinner - BBQ tofu wrap with pickles, sauerkraut, and onion. Roasted baby potatoes seasoned with nutritional yeast and herbs. Steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots).

• Like 4

We made it to Alabama yesterday though we began the trip on terrible roads close to home.

We bought coffee frequently, but otherwise ate out of our bag of car food. 

Hummus, celery and red pepper sticks. 

Broccoli salad

Smoked Gouda

Cashews, almonds, and cranberry trail mix

Dark chocolate chip scones (I made them and they were delicious with coffee in the morning)

Bean dip and salsa with tortilla chips

Water and V-8 juice

We didn't buy any other food. Felt great not having any drive through/cheap restaurant food in our systems.

Currently snuggling Baby T while Mark has N and C snuggled up next to him watching a video about steam trains.

• Like 5

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with French lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, banana, apple, Asian pear, guava, kiwi, blueberries, fig, pomegranate, apricot, passion fruit, dragon fruit, lime and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, pineapple, Galia melon, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, tofu, quinoa, tomato, cucumber, spaghetti squash, asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, sesame seeds, cashew ranch.

Dinner - Monkey & Me’s French Thyme White Bean Potato Stew - yum. I used cannellini and butter beans and added mushrooms and kale. Served it over a rice blend (wild, brown, red, and black rice).

• Like 5

On 2/24/2023 at 7:35 PM, Selkie said:

That sounds amazing. I would love to see pics!

Sunday

Breakfast: Butternut Blueberry Breakfast. A Dr. Furhman recipe with butternut squash, apple cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts and raisins. I omitted the blueberries because I am out.

Lunch: refried beans, large salad

Dinner: grapefruit, cabbage soup

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with French lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, banana, apple, Asian pear, guava, kiwi, blueberries, fig, pomegranate, apricot, passion fruit, dragon fruit, lime and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, pineapple, Galia melon, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, tofu, quinoa, tomato, cucumber, spaghetti squash, asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, sesame seeds, cashew ranch.

Dinner - Monkey & Me’s French Thyme White Bean Potato Stew - yum. I used cannellini and butter beans and added mushrooms and kale. Served it over a rice blend (wild, brown, red, and black rice).

That stew sounds lovely!

We had our usually, slaughter the king's coffee beans hour, along with whole grain toast and peanut butter.

Lunch was grilled cheeses and large salads.

We ate a little splurge of chocolate coconut milk ice cream this afternoon with the M and C who thought that was pretty wonderful.

Supper was vegetarian Mexican gumbo over rice, black beans, pinto beans, fajita veggies, and some cheddar cheese.

Cinnamon tea tonight with fireball whiskey. 😁

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Kela said:

That sounds amazing. I would love to see pics!

I will definitely post a pic when I (finally) get it done!

Another thing I'm planning is shelves just for fruit. Right now, my kitchen counters are covered in all kinds of fruit, and I want a better way to corral it all. On one of the YouTube shows I watch, they have these gorgeous open shelves that are full of fruit in various stages of ripening. I thought that was genius and am totally stealing their idea!  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Selkie said:

It is delicious! Here's the recipe (it isn't a crockpot recipe, but that's how I made it and it turned out great).

https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com/french-thyme-white-bean-potato-stew/

Thank you for posting. I have yet to meet a recipe that combines potatoes and carrots that I have not loved, and I am trying to have a good repertoire of soups and stews without meat.

• Like 3

Sunday

Breakfast—scrambled eggs with veg, organic sausage, tea (NS)

Lunch—I made a gluten free pizza with df ricotta from Kite Hill and tons of veg and some organic sausage crumbles. It’s the best one I’ve ever made. Such a relief. I love pizza, and it was very hard to give up when I became gluten and lactose intolerant.

Dinner—just tea and a banana. I was full from the pizza earlier. 

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with vaquero beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, guava, kiwi, banana, blueberries, apple, Asian pear, fig, pomegranate, apricot, lemon and orange zest, passion fruit, dragon fruit, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, acorn squash, tofu, edamame, lentils, buckwheat, tomato, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, sesame peanut dressing. An orange and a lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of French Thyme White Bean Potato Stew served over rice blend.

• Like 4

Today:

Coffee mass destruction and scrambled eggs.

Leftover vegetarian Mexican gumbo, rice, and beans.

Dd had a turkey in the.freezer that she really needed to use up. It took three days to thaw in the fridge. Finally I was able to roast it today. We made mashed potatoes, roast brussel sprouts, roast green beans, steamed broccoli, and GF stuffing. It was really nice because Dd and family were sick at Thanksgiving and never got to celebrate. Since T has only been home from the hospital a short while, it seemed like a celebration of the whole family finally being together.

• Like 5

Monday 

breakfast- blueberry keto granola and coconut yogurt 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; dark chocolate 

dinner- vegan enchiladas (butternut squash, black bean refried beans, pico de gallo, red enchilada sauce, cauliflower tortillas, vegan “cheese “ shreds)

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Today:

Coffee mass destruction and scrambled eggs.

Leftover vegetarian Mexican gumbo, rice, and beans.

Dd had a turkey in the.freezer that she really needed to use up. It took three days to thaw in the fridge. Finally I was able to roast it today. We made mashed potatoes, roast brussel sprouts, roast green beans, steamed broccoli, and GF stuffing. It was really nice because Dd and family were sick at Thanksgiving and never got to celebrate. Since T has only been home from the hospital a short while, it seemed like a celebration of the whole family finally being together.

Mmm, I have a turkey in the freezer too and have been thinking it's time to bust it out.

• Like 1

Guys, talk to me about portions and seconds. I was on a solid downward weight trend for January then spent two weeks at my mom's.  I eat all whole, mostly organic, unprocessed food and feel good about the amount of veggies and protein I get.  We ate well when I was there, but I did not exercise.  I gained back all 5 pounds I had lost while away and am now trying to figure out my way (weigh) forward.  I like the way i feel when I eat breakfast and don't snack, and snacking is definitely what we did together!  

So in addition to cutting out snacks, I'm looking at portion control.How do you decide on portions?  Do you use hunger or math to guide you?  Do you eat seconds?  At some meals and not others?

Thank you for any input.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Eos said:

Guys, talk to me about portions and seconds. I was on a solid downward weight trend for January then spent two weeks at my mom's.  I eat all whole, mostly organic, unprocessed food and feel good about the amount of veggies and protein I get.  We ate well when I was there, but I did not exercise.  I gained back all 5 pounds I had lost while away and am now trying to figure out my way (weigh) forward.  I like the way i feel when I eat breakfast and don't snack, and snacking is definitely what we did together!  

So in addition to cutting out snacks, I'm looking at portion control.How do you decide on portions?  Do you use hunger or math to guide you?  Do you eat seconds?  At some meals and not others?

Thank you for any input.

I only worry about protein/dairy and fruit portion, and if my protein is from legumes, I eat however much I want. Due to diabetes on my mom's side of the family, I only eat low glycemic fruit and SMALL portions, definitely not even every day. I otherwise do not worry about it for whole grains and vegetables.

I never lose weight. I would probably have to go on a starvation diet. Anything over 1200 calories no matter how healthy and how low fat, and I gain. I have gone as low as 750 calories per day, vegetarian, for months and never dropped a pound. Doctors don't care. They just lecture me and tell me I am lying and probably eating donuts. So I do not go to doctors anymore. I gave up. 

Since I can't lose weight because who the heck knows what is wrong with my metabolism, but I do pay out of pocket for AIC annually and it is always a really great number so blood sugar is not the issue, I decided that just being a healthier version of me, regardless of size, would have to do. I kayak, walk, swim, ride an exercise bike, do calisthenics, etc. I get exercise, am not sedentary. My calorie count hovers around 1200. My lunch today was four ounces of turkey breast, 1.5 cups green beans, 1.5 cups broccoli, 1 cup potatoes, and selzer water. Very filling because of the amount of vegetables and fiber. Calorie count not very high, and the protein was considered a healthy size serving for poultry. Had it been beef, I would likely have reduced that to just two ounces, but just to make sure the carbs metabolize properly, a slice of cheddar cheese to go with it or a little dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream for the fat.

I have no advice, just a lot of hugs. I do believe for some of us, the answers are not available due to flaws in the US healthcare system combined with insurance restrictions, and lack of understanding of US practitioners about metabolic issues. My sister gets way more help with this in France. So the only words I have are of compassion and just trying to be a healthier version of yourself.

Mentally/emotionally, the move to more outdoor activities (including my gardening), and higher vegetable count, lower meat, and taking the stress and self recrimination about the weight, has resulted in a happier me, a much more happy me, and I think that has a lot of benefits too even though it isn't expressed by the number on the scale.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Eos said:

Thank you for any input.

Here are some random, scattered thoughts on what works for me:

I don't count calories or macros or measure portions. I have seconds often. The foods I eat (whole plant foods) are high in nutrients but low in calories, and that allows me to eat as much as I want without gaining weight (I lost a ton of weight when I started eating this way and am now comfortably settled at 20 BMI, which seems to be where my body is happiest).

Dinner is my lightest meal (often soup) and I finish eating for the day by 6pm. I started doing this after reading about how beneficial it is to go to bed with an empty tank - it allows your body to focus on cleaning up and repairing DNA damage, rather than on digesting food. I don't snack for that same reason.

Eliminating added salt, sugar, and oil from my diet was a huge game changer for me. Doing that banished my food cravings and accelerated my weight loss. It also changed my taste buds so that salty, sugary, and oily foods are now very unappealing.

My general rule of thumb is that I only put foods in my mouth that are in my body's best interest. 

Good luck! It took me a few years to figure out what works best for me. It was only when I started focusing on optimal health and longevity, rather than just weight loss, that it all clicked.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Selkie said:

salt, sugar, and oil

I eat very little sugar if any, but I do love extra virgin olive oil in or on almost everything and a liberal amount of salt. I'll have to ponder this.  I'm at 24 BMI so not terrible but I know I feel better at less.  Thank you and Faith for your thoughts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eos said:

I eat very little sugar if any, but I do love extra virgin olive oil in or on almost everything and a liberal amount of salt. I'll have to ponder this.  I'm at 24 BMI so not terrible but I know I feel better at less.  Thank you and Faith for your thoughts.

You’re at a better starting point than I was - mine was quite a bit higher than 24. I aimed for 20 because Dr. Fuhrman had drilled it into my brain that studies show that the healthiest BMI for females is under 21 (he is my favorite, brutally honest and blunt motivator!). Dr. Greger said the same, and then Dr. Kristi Funk mentioned it in reference to breast cancer risk as well. It seemed like an impossible number at first, but here I am, and it seems to be the weight my body  is meant to stay at.

• Like 5

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar on the way to an early appointment. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Moro beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, guava, kiwi, banana, pineapple, blueberries, passion fruit, dragon fruit, apple, Asian pear, pomegranate, fig, apricot, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, carrots, tofu, tomato, lentils, avocado, pistachios, acorn squash, sesame peanut dressing. A Sumo orange.

Dinner - A bowl of French Thyme White Bean Potato Stew. Two pieces of Ezekiel toast and steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini).

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Eos said:

Thank you for any input.

I let hunger guide me, but I also implement some strategies. Honestly, I feel too victimized and deprived if I'm only allowed to eat this much and no more. It's better for me to take a small or reasonable portion and remind myself that I can always have more if I'm still hungry. This prevents me from taking an overly large portion. The next step is, when considering a second portion, to remind myself that saving some for later means a lovely treat later. Many times I'll plan for a specific meal, like, "These leftovers will be awesome for tomorrow's lunch." Another strategy is using small, pretty plates. Keeping it small keeps the portions small, too. There's something about pretty plates that encourages eating slowly with some decorum. And finally, I end many meals with some tea, which helps me stop eating but still enjoy. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I only worry about protein/dairy and fruit portion, and if my protein is from legumes, I eat however much I want. Due to diabetes on my mom's side of the family, I only eat low glycemic fruit and SMALL portions, definitely not even every day. I otherwise do not worry about it for whole grains and vegetables.

I never lose weight. I would probably have to go on a starvation diet. Anything over 1200 calories no matter how healthy and how low fat, and I gain. I have gone as low as 750 calories per day, vegetarian, for months and never dropped a pound. Doctors don't care. They just lecture me and tell me I am lying and probably eating donuts. So I do not go to doctors anymore. I gave up. 

Since I can't lose weight because who the heck knows what is wrong with my metabolism, but I do pay out of pocket for AIC annually and it is always a really great number so blood sugar is not the issue, I decided that just being a healthier version of me, regardless of size, would have to do. I kayak, walk, swim, ride an exercise bike, do calisthenics, etc. I get exercise, am not sedentary. My calorie count hovers around 1200. My lunch today was four ounces of turkey breast, 1.5 cups green beans, 1.5 cups broccoli, 1 cup potatoes, and selzer water. Very filling because of the amount of vegetables and fiber. Calorie count not very high, and the protein was considered a healthy size serving for poultry. Had it been beef, I would likely have reduced that to just two ounces, but just to make sure the carbs metabolize properly, a slice of cheddar cheese to go with it or a little dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream for the fat.

I have no advice, just a lot of hugs. I do believe for some of us, the answers are not available due to flaws in the US healthcare system combined with insurance restrictions, and lack of understanding of US practitioners about metabolic issues. My sister gets way more help with this in France. So the only words I have are of compassion and just trying to be a healthier version of yourself.

Mentally/emotionally, the move to more outdoor activities (including my gardening), and higher vegetable count, lower meat, and taking the stress and self recrimination about the weight, has resulted in a happier me, a much more happy me, and I think that has a lot of benefits too even though it isn't expressed by the number on the scale.

I have similar issues and a similar resolve. I was sick several years ago with a severe, life-threatening abdominal infection, including sepsis and a stay in the ICU. I came out of that illness with gluten and dairy intolerance as well as a permanently changed metabolism. I exercise with intensity 3-5 times per week. I am confident in my portion control. I have two regular vices--one is dark chocolate that is usually Lindt 85% (so not very much sugar at all, especially since it's so intense I never eat very much of it at a time) and tea (many unsugared, but I do prefer some flavors with a little sugar). I have tried many, many weight loss options. My midriff will not budge. Finally I decided I would not spend decades weighing myself and depriving myself as did my beloved MIL and grandmother. I focus now on healthy food choices and maintaining an aggressive exercise routine. 

• Like 5

Tuesday

Breakfast--An orange before class, and then some df yogurt with low-sugar granola after class along with a cup of coffee with almond milk.

Lunch--Blueberries. Plain sweet potato and some pulled pork. (The recipe I used on this batch was spiced and cooked in a brine. I'm tickled pink that I found a fabulous recipe that's not swimming in sugary sauce.)

Dinner--Chicken stirfry (chicken and tons of veg with white rice). Finished off the blueberries as well. 

Another day without chocolate. 

• Like 3