Menu

February Healthy Eating

Selkie

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with beluga lentils, oats, banana, blueberries, pomegranate, sour cherries, fig, apricot, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, dragon fruit, passion fruit, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Veggie sandwich on whole grain pita - tofu, cucumber, tomato, red onion, jalapeños, carrot, orange bell pepper, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha. A Cara Cara orange and a few kumquats.

Dinner - There were so many mouthwatering WFPB Super Bowl snack recipes in my Facebook feed this week that I had to make a few of them. From Shane and Simple, I made his fat-free, oil-free potato chips and tortilla chips. Also his cashew queso (which was a hit - Dh, who has never liked queso anything in his life, thought it was excellent) and French onion dip. I also made the Esselstyn’s Brussels sprouts tots, which are halved b. sprouts coated in hummus and herbs and then baked. Oh, and we had guacamole, too.

• Like 4

More travel, this time to see our kids. So we visited our friend in Florida, slept in our own home one night, then headed out to see the kids for the weekend. Soooooo good to be together with them. 

I did really pretty well while out for the weekend as far as food, with one exception (lunch on Saturday). The car ride was four hours, which isn't really long enough to have a ton of road-snack temptation, so thankful for that. Once there, most of my food was within the limits I set for myself. This is hard to do when vacationing, so though I'm unhappy with Saturday lunch, I'm generally pleased with the other meals and lack of snacking.

Breakfast--Eggs on Friday and Saturday, and oatmeal today. Also bananas and applesauce.

Lunch--Cannot remember Friday but it was unremarkable, eaten at home before we hit the road. Saturday I let myself get too hungry as I was running around dealing with some logistics, ended up with fast food. Sunday lunch was a grain bowl from Panera (grain, tomatoes, cucumbers, greens, chicken, hummus)--the cucumbers were not the softest but oh well. At least it was healthy. 

Dinner--poached chicken and broccoli on Friday. Saturday I had baked potato wedges with buffalo chicken (plain, no breading) and a gf brownie, with the same again today (Sunday).

The trick moving forward will be to maintain some discipline with the leftover brownies. Though they are healthier than average (almond flour, lower sugar), they are, nevertheless, a dessert. 

• Like 5

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with black ayocote beans, oats, Galia melon, pineapple, guava, kiwi, banana, passion fruit, dragon fruit, apple, pear, fig, apricot, sour cherries, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, pomegranate, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, quinoa, hemp, walnuts, hazelnuts, avocado, cashew queso as dressing.

Dinner - I made soup in the crockpot with a hodgepodge of ingredients - a variety of lentils and split peas, barley, onion, garlic, sweet potato, celery, carrots, green peas, a mix of mushrooms, kale, collards, cashew cream.  It smelled and tasted so good. Also had steamed asparagus and two pieces of Ezekiel toast.

• Like 5

Breakfast--banana before class, then after class had some oatmeal with raisins, pecans, cinnamon, dash of maple syrup, plain almond milk

Lunch--turkey and corned beef on corn tortillas (like a sandwich), one clementine

Snack--gf brownie

Dinner--vegan enchiladas. So much veg and bean goodness, and so healthy. 

Later also tea.

• Like 5

Monday 

🌈 

breakfast- blueberry keto granola and coconut yogurt 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with mixed greens, onions and mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, 2 squares chocolate 

dinner-  steak;  beet, carrot and parsnips fries (very yummy); cherry tomatoes; mixed fruit cup with pineapple, peach and pear 

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 5

Tuesday - Happy Valentine’s Day💘

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Rio Zape beans, oats, banana, kiwi, pineapple, Galia melon, blueberries, pomegranate, apple, pear, fig, sour cherries, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, lentils, Brussels sprouts, edamame, tomato, cucumber, carrot, cashew queso as dressing. A Sumo orange.

Dinner - A bowl of veggie bean soup and two pieces of Ezekiel toast.

Dessert - Pumpkin pie banana nice cream sprinkled with cacao nibs and chopped pecans.

• Like 5

Tuesday 

🌈 

lunch-  scrambled eggs with mixed greens, onions and mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin, 2 squares chocolate 

dinner-  Monkey and Me Rustic Italian Vegetable Bake (zucchini, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, cannellini beans); some shredded chicken on top to keep my blood sugars under control; strawberries dipped in melted chocolate chips  

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 4

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Papa de Rola beans, oats, guava, kiwi, banana, rambutan, mamey sapote, dragon fruit, passion fruit, blueberries, pomegranate, apple, pear, fig, sour cherries, pineapple, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, tomato, cucumber, jungle peanuts, seven seed topper, WFPB Thousand Island (new recipe I tried from Vegan Michele).

Dinner - A bowl of mushroom barley soup, two pieces of Ezekiel toast, steamed veggies (asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli). A Cara Cara orange and some Galia melon.

• Like 4

Wednesday

Breakfast: grapefruit

Snack: black coffee, 2 dates

Lunch: Big salad with tomatoes, avocado and chick peas

Dinner: white bean soup, banana, 2 mandarins

I don't know what it is, but I had to force myself to choke down the soup even though everyone else loved it. All I want to eat is fruit. I would have loved to just eat fruit all day, but I know that's not healthy. It's been the same way for several days now. Everything else I have to force myself to eat.

Down 2 lbs this week at weigh in.

• Like 3

Wednesday

🌈 

dinner-  Monkey and Me Rustic Italian Vegetable Bake (zucchini, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, cannellini beans); some shredded chicken on top to keep my blood sugars under control; strawberries dipped in melted chocolate chips  

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 3

Wednesday

Breakfast--banana before class, 2 eggs and some potatoes with a sprinkle of hot sauce after class.

Lunch--lunchmeat rolls on corn tortillas with hummus, also a cup of tea (S)

Snack--dark chocolate

Dinner--pulled pork cooked in a marinade rather than bbq sauce. Delicious and healthier than a heavy sauce. I don't know if I'll ever go back to a traditional sauce again, as this stuff was really wonderful. Also sauteed kale with onion and gf cornbread.

• Like 3

Constant care giving had big me discombobulated. I came home from Alabama for a little rest, and found my mother in law down with a bad case of gasteoenteritis. So I have been cooking for her, and of course right now she can't handle fiber. Her diet doesn't line up with mine, and only just today did I have time and energy to eat well.

Peanut butter toast - breakfast and enough coffee to make a horse set a new world record at the Derby.

Large veggie salad and tuna sandwich for lunch.

Tofu stir fry and vegetables plus hot and sour soup for supper.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with black ayocote beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, guava, pineapple, Galia melon, kiwi, apple, pear, blueberries, pomegranate, passion fruit, dragon fruit, rambutan, mango, orange and lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, fig, sour cherries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, edamame, Brussels sprouts, tomato, cucumber, garlic, pistachios, mushrooms, sesame seeds, WFPB Thousand Island. A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - I made Thai red curry - just winged it on the recipe and dumped in two bags of frozen stir fry veggies and two bags of frozen shiitake mushrooms, then served it over brown rice and cauliflower rice.

Dessert - Vanilla banana nice cream with cacao nibs.

• Like 3

Thursday

Breakfast--a banana before class, green tea (NS), then 2 slices ham and a bunch of blueberries on the way to gyrotonics

Lunch--vegan veg enchiladas (leftovers from a few nights ago). So yummy and filling--stuffed with veg and beans.

Snack--dark chocolate

Dinner--tofu stirfry with broccoli, onion, red pepper, ginger, garlic, brown rice, gf soy sauce, organic kimchi. Gorgeous and yummy and so healthy.

• Like 3

On 2/15/2023 at 9:07 PM, Faith-manor said:

Constant care giving had big me discombobulated. I came home from Alabama for a little rest, and found my mother in law down with a bad case of gasteoenteritis. So I have been cooking for her, and of course right now she can't handle fiber. Her diet doesn't line up with mine, and only just today did I have time and energy to eat well.

Peanut butter toast - breakfast and enough coffee to make a horse set a new world record at the Derby.

Large veggie salad and tuna sandwich for lunch.

Tofu stir fry and vegetables plus hot and sour soup for supper.

That happy horse! 

I've been caring for my mom and eating quite well but snacking too easily.  I head home today and will cut the snack habit and focus on the smallest dinner, largest breakfast pattern.

I've cleaned out her freezer and found things I put in there two years ago, c'mon Mom, and made a bunch of meals and soups for her freezer.  We've eaten so many veggies that her INR is way off but her nurse is happy she's eating them and will tweak her coumadin accordingly.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Eos said:

That happy horse! 

I've been caring for my mom and eating quite well but snacking too easily.  I head home today and will cut the snack habit and focus on the smallest dinner, largest breakfast pattern.

I've cleaned out her freezer and found things I put in there two years ago, c'mon Mom, and made a bunch of meals and soups for her freezer.  We've eaten so many veggies that her INR is way off but her nurse is happy she's eating them and will tweak her coumadin accordingly.

It is hard, isn't it! I feel like I really need to take over grocery shopping for my mother in law. She way over buys, can't eat it all, and so much goes to waste. She is stubbornly resistant to eating meals I cook and freeze for her even though she raves to her friends that I am an amazing cook. Her 86 year old mind is less easy to deal with than my 3 year old grandson. 

At any rate, today Mark and I just want to eat light. Scrambled eggs for breakfast with red pepper, potatoes, spinach, and green onions. Salads with boiled eggs for lunch. Fruit bowls with Greek yogurt, and turkey sausage made into gravy with my einkorn biscuits for supper. Nothing fancy or particularly heavy. She wants to make and eat huge, heavy meals all.the.time. because that is how her mother in law and own mother cooked. It isn't healthy, riles up her gut, and creates a massive amount of waste because she can't eat all this food of she doesn't have company over. Trying to get her to change is maddening!

Edited by Faith-manor
Typo
  • Like 4

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with vaquero beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, guava, passion fruit, dragon fruit, fig, sour cherries, apple, pear, blueberries, pomegranate, rambutan, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, edamame, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, tomato, mushrooms, radishes, blackberries, jungle peanuts, sesame seeds, garlic, carrots, WFPB Greek vinaigrette.

Dinner - Thai red curry with stir fry veggies and tofu served over brown rice and cauliflower rice.

• Like 5

Friday 

🌈 

dinner- Vietnamese chicken noodle salad (chicken, rice vermicelli, mung bean sprouts, chili peppers, daikon, carrots, cucumber, lettuce )

two eggs before bedtime 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 5

On 2/15/2023 at 7:51 PM, Selkie said:

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Papa de Rola beans, oats, guava, kiwi, banana, rambutan, mamey sapote, dragon fruit, passion fruit, blueberries, pomegranate, apple, pear, fig, sour cherries, pineapple, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, tomato, cucumber, jungle peanuts, seven seed topper, WFPB Thousand Island (new recipe I tried from Vegan Michele).

Dinner - A bowl of mushroom barley soup, two pieces of Ezekiel toast, steamed veggies (asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli). A Cara Cara orange and some Galia melon.

Mushroom barley! I miss barley so much!

• Like 4

Friday--An on-the-go day, which always results in weird food. But I did better than many other such times, so we'll count progress forward.

Breakfast--grabbed a slice of baked ham and a box of blueberries on my way out to PT. Once home, I ate some leftover tofu stirfry (tofu, veg, brown rice, kimchi).

Lunch--mixed fruit, some ham, potato

Dinner--baked lemon-rosemary chicken with onion, sweet potato, green beans. 

Snack--dark chocolate in the afternoon slump; After dinner I had a small portion of popcorn and a glass of wine while we watched a movie. Weird combination, but the salty tastes good with the sweet. Only bummer is that I'm not supposed to eat popcorn during the TMJ treatment--I tried to simply not eat any kernels that contained a big ugly seed so that everything was light and easy to chew. 

• Like 4

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with golden lentils, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, guava, kiwi, fig, apricot, sour cherries, pomegranate, blueberries, apple, pear, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, edamame, tomato, sweet potato, quinoa, raspberries, garlic, raw mixed nuts, seven seed topper, WFPB creamy balsamic dressing.

Dinner - I made “egg” rolls with cabbage, carrot, scallions, and tofu, with sesame peanut dipping sauce (Dr. Fuhrman recipe) to go with them.

• Like 4

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with soybeans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, guava, fig, apricot, blueberries, apple, pear, pomegranate, lemon and orange zest, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens and leftover tofu/veggie egg rolls with sesame peanut dipping sauce.

Dinner - I made Monkey and Me’s Creamy Southwestern soup (pinto and cannellini beans, loads of veggies and spices, cashew cream). I added collard greens and mushrooms.

Dessert - Pumpkin pie banana nice cream with chopped pecans and cacao nibs.

• Like 3

Saturday 

Breakfast—tea (S)

Lunch—pulled pork with kale? Having a tough time remembering, but it would have been leftovers from my fridge (which thankfully are all healthy at the moment). Also grapes.

Dinner—leftover beef Vindaloo on rice, potatoes and peas on the side

Sunday

Breakfast—oatmeal with raisins, maple syrup, macadamia milk, tea (NS)

Lunch—Korean bowls (purple rice, kale, kimchi, potatoes, cabbage, beef), also a gf almond cookie

Dinner—gf bread (homemade) with EB butter, cantaloupe, rooibos tea (NS)

• Like 4

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Moro beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, kiwi, guava, mango, apple, pear, fig, apricot, sour cherries, lemon and lime zest, pomegranate, blueberries, passion fruit, dragon fruit, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, black beans, quinoa, millet, edamame, cucumber, delicata squash, beets, jungle peanuts, sesame seeds, garlic, sesame peanut dressing. A Cara Cara orange and a lemon poppyseed WellBean bar.

Dinner - A bowl of creamy southwestern soup topped with cilantro microgreens. Two pieces of Ezekiel toast with mashed avocado, sriracha, and Everything Bagel seasoning.

• Like 3

Today I ate good food all day, yummy stuffed mushrooms for dinner, felafel for lunch.  Tomorrow dh is going away for two weeks so that will give me a mental reset to move to my salads for dinner theme.

I don't love that I need external "reset" markers but it's my thing.

I will also start posting here again because I found it helped.  My jet lag is over and I'm ready.

• Like 4

Monday

Breakfast--small bowl of leftover Korean rice bowl fixings (just rice and veg), also some canteloupe on the side. Had some gf bread and butter after class.

Lunch--tea (S), rice noodles, later supplemented with a small bunless burger. I'm far too tempted to rely on carbs some days.

Snack--dark chocolate

Dinner--eggs with just a tiny bit of bacon for flavor, also some leftover vegan enchilada filling on the side (Swiss chard, onion, beans, garlic, possibly other veg but I honestly don't remember what went into making that)

• Like 5

Monday

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, mushrooms; 1/2 flaxseed muffin; dark chocolate with cherries 

dinner- So in the course of bringing pantry items upstairs, I found a couple of gf baking mixes. I made black bean soup for dinner so I decided to make the cinnamon raisin bread. Only problem is that the best use date was 2019. It didn’t rise much but it wasn’t a brick and it tasted ok.  Dh really liked it  

two eggs before bedtime 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

dinner- So in the course of bringing pantry items upstairs, I found a couple of gf baking mixes. I made black bean soup for dinner so I decided to make the cinnamon raisin bread. Only problem is that the best use date was 2019. It didn’t rise much but it wasn’t a brick and it tasted ok.  Dh really liked it  

Chuckling in solidarity with you. Last semester was soooo chaotic. I lost track of what was in both pantry and freezer. We've been working through some backlog there. Dh has stepped up to the plate manfully in that regard. 😂

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - A lemon poppyseed WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with Rio Zape beans, oats, barley flakes, wheat flakes, banana, Galia melon, kiwi, guava, fig, apricot, sour cherries, apple, pear, blueberries, pomegranate, passion fruit, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, seaweed, falafel, quinoa, beets, spaghetti squash, cucumber, edamame, carrots, sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - A veggie burger (lentils, brown rice, veggies, and spices) on whole grain pita with pickles and onions. A steamed artichoke with Greek vinaigrette dipping sauce. Steamed veggies (broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms).

• Like 4

Tuesday

Breakfast--Weird and spread out. A banana before class, then another desperate banana during the halfway-break. Then a cup of peaches in 100% juice on my way to work out. 

Lunch--Starving to death, but managed to hold the line. Ate some chicken salad and some baked potato puffs, followed up with tea (S).

Dinner--4 mini street tacos, just meat, onion, cilantro, pineapple. Followed up with decaf green tea (NS).

No chocolate today, cha-ching.

• Like 4

B: breakfast bowl of basmati rice, ground turkey, scallions, cilantro, carrots, cabbage, lime juice

L: same

Snack: two squares of chocolate for a hiking snack!  I haven't had chocolate for a long time and it didn't really taste that good

S: big salad 

• Like 4

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with black ayocote beans, oats, barley flakes, banana, guava, kiwi, sour cherries, apple, pear, blueberries, pomegranate, fig, apricot, passion fruit, Galia melon, pineapple, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens and microgreens, mushrooms, falafel, beets, cucumber, asparagus, broccoli, raw mixed nuts, seven seed topper, raspberries, sesame peanut dressing. A Cara Cara orange and a blood orange.

Dinner - Cauliflower “wings” with cashew ranch dip - both recipes from Dr. Ayesha Sherzai at Neuro Academy. Dh is a big fan of these. Also had half a black bean burger on whole grain pita with onions and pickles.

• Like 5

B: brussels sprouts and ham hash with two eggs plus some granola 

L: a handful of nuts, turkey veggie soup

Snack: another small bit of chocolate, still didn't taste good, I will give it to the chickens so I don 't eat it again tomorrow

S: salad

• Like 5

@Selkie I adore cauliflower buffalo wings. I got my recipe from the Cook's Illustrated Vegan for Everybody cookbook.

Wednesday

Breakfast--banana, also a gf/df muffin with EB butter

Lunch--eggs and potatoes and decaf coffee with milkadamia and maple syrup

Snack--Just a tiny amount of gnocchi with butternut squash and mushrooms (fished it out of the freezer)

Dinner--gf challah, chicken with mushrooms and carrots and onions

Another day with no chocolate. Yay! I do allow dark chocolate for myself, but am trying to get out of defaulting that way so many days each week.

• Like 5