Menu

February Healthy Eating

Selkie

Wednesday

Breakfast: Butternut Blueberry Breakfast

Lunch: coleslaw and finished up the cabbage bean soup

Dinner: A fabulous creamy lentil soup that uses canned coconut milk. I also cheated and had some pasta salad and fruit salad that my co-worker brought.

Today was the last day of weight ins for the weight loss challenge. I have lost 24 lbs and 6% body fat! Pretty happy.

• Like 4

On 2/24/2023 at 7:23 PM, Selkie said:

About DHA - I’ve heard Dr. Fuhrman talk about that in relation to Parkinson’s, too. Have you had your omega 3 index tested? I had mine tested through OmegaQuant and it was at the low end of Dr. Fuhrman’s acceptable range (his range is different than OmegaQuant’s - he thinks their acceptable range is too high). I bumped up the amount of algae supplement I take and am going to retest to see if my level has risen.

I am sorry to pull up the February thread, but wanted to come back to this. No, I had never had my DHA tested, or even known that it could be tested. After researching it, we decided to order the kit through Dr Fuhrman. I just got it in the mail today, which reminded me I hadn’t gotten back to this. I am anxious to see how mine is. I have had chronically low vitamin D, even with high supplementation and sun exposure. Thank you for mentioning the test, as I didn’t realize I could just order a kit. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I am sorry to pull up the February thread, but wanted to come back to this. No, I had never had my DHA tested, or even known that it could be tested. After researching it, we decided to order the kit through Dr Fuhrman. I just got it in the mail today, which reminded me I hadn’t gotten back to this. I am anxious to see how mine is. I have had chronically low vitamin D, even with high supplementation and sun exposure. Thank you for mentioning the test, as I didn’t realize I could just order a kit. 

You’re welcome! I am thankful for being able to test at home, as it isn’t even on the radar of any doctors in my area (which is scary, since I believe it was Dr. Greger who said that both omnivores and plant based eaters tend to be deficient, and everyone should be tested).

OmegaQuant’s desired range is between 8-12%, but Dr. Fuhrman thinks that is too high. His desired range is 5.2-9%. Mine was in the 5’s (can’t remember the exact number), and I’m hoping it’s gone up a bit since I increased my supplement dosage. It’s on my list to order a test this weekend.

• Like 2