Menu

airline cancellation/refund question

gardenmom5

I book premium class seats for which I pay an upgrade fee.   Due to weather at this end, my flight has been cancelled.  It has been rebooked as a two -leg flight.  neither of which is premium class (one is less than an hour, and I don't care about that one.)
anyone know if I get a refund on my upgrade fees from my original flight?  (since i'm not getting the upgrade. blech - I go from row 7 to row 27 . . . blech)

eta  I'm glad I'm not one of those people who is stuck without a hotel room, or missing their connecting flight somewhere.  I feel for them.  I'm at 2dd's house.  Which is going to be really interesting the next few days.  (dsil has major surgery tomorrow.  I had thought about delaying our return, but didn't want to pay the change in airfare - and I'll be out of my meds . . . ..)  and dsil's father is supposed to arrive tomorrow. . . . 

Edited by gardenmom5

idk the answer to your question, but I hope your flights go well. I'm one of those who missed our connecting flight last week. But, they did put us up in a hotel and we got food vouchers.   But we didn't get out until another 24 hours later.  We did however get to enjoy Seattle and finally saw the Chihuly exhibit, so all wasn't bad!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ***** said:

idk the answer to your question, but I hope your flights go well. I'm one of those who missed our connecting flight last week. But, they did put us up in a hotel and we got food vouchers.   But we didn't get out until another 24 hours later.  We did however get to enjoy Seattle and finally saw the Chihuly exhibit, so all wasn't bad!

hmm - we are being delayed two days.  I haven't asked for anything, maybe I should . . (i'd settle for premium seats, but not holding my breath.  a bunch of middle seats have opened up, but not two together.  I still have problems with my knee after a car accident - so stretching it out is a big deal on a four hour flight.)

instead - I get to help entertain dd's fil until we leave . . . . 

It's OK to call and ask; they should be giving you at the very least the upgrade refund. Also sometimes especially when they are dealing with a lot of flights being cancelled the airlines just need a bit of time to sort out all refunds and compensation. 

Be a squeaky wheel, let them know what you need, complain like it's a huge inconvenience to you (you never know what you might get and you are never going to see the person on the other end of the line for them to judge you on your pettiness).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

It's OK to call and ask; they should be giving you at the very least the upgrade refund. Also sometimes especially when they are dealing with a lot of flights being cancelled the airlines just need a bit of time to sort out all refunds and compensation. 

Be a squeaky wheel, let them know what you need, complain like it's a huge inconvenience to you (you never know what you might get and you are never going to see the person on the other end of the line for them to judge you on your pettiness).  

I'm trying to be optimistic the upgrade fees will be refunded.  I'm also watching that section to see if two seats together open up.  I may just upgrade and if dh doens't want to sit up there too, he can stay in the back.  I injured my knee in a car accident, and it starts to ache if I can't stretch it out.

• Like 1

“I had thought about delaying our return, but didn't want to pay the change in airfare - and I'll be out of my meds . . . ..)  and dsil's father is supposed to arrive tomorrow. . . . “

I’m praying that your son-in-law’s surgery is successful and uneventful. 

if your flight time was changed significantly, airlines will allow you to change it for no charge. In the past, I would have to call to have an agent do this when the new time didn’t work for us, but I for our trip in December I was able to change our flights with no cost/no trouble online. (This was a trip planned with a layover; it was planned way in advance and the times kept changing, so I waited until it changed enough from the original to allow free changes. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, *LC said:

“I had thought about delaying our return, but didn't want to pay the change in airfare - and I'll be out of my meds . . . ..)  and dsil's father is supposed to arrive tomorrow. . . . “

I’m praying that your son-in-law’s surgery is successful and uneventful. 

if your flight time was changed significantly, airlines will allow you to change it for no charge. In the past, I would have to call to have an agent do this when the new time didn’t work for us, but I for our trip in December I was able to change our flights with no cost/no trouble online. (This was a trip planned with a layover; it was planned way in advance and the times kept changing, so I waited until it changed enough from the original to allow free changes. 

Thank you.

dd has a friend that works on the spine unit in that particular hospital with that particular surgeon.  She said he's one in whom she has confidence - and she's only saying anything because she and dd are friends.  She said there are other surgeons she'd suggest they go see someone else . . .

Yes, they should refund your fees. You need to call. It’s also possible that they will upgrade you when you call. Call as soon as you can. Fliers with status will be calling within the 24 hour window to get their free upgrades - you want to call before that window opens, if possible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TechWife said:

Yes, they should refund your fees. You need to call. It’s also possible that they will upgrade you when you call. Call as soon as you can. Fliers with status will be calling within the 24 hour window to get their free upgrades - you want to call before that window opens, if possible. 

I've been checking online for availability - there are middle seats available.  I may put me up there for the leg room and dh can sit in coach.

11 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

hmm - we are being delayed two days.  I haven't asked for anything, maybe I should

I was told also by the agent who helped with rebooking that if we didn't get some kind of compensation for a later flight (discount), we should call and ask for one, because of the inconvenience to us. No one could tell us why the planes were late and the weather wasn't bad across the country. I think they are overbooking and don't have enough flights/employees at the time.

.)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've been checking online for availability - there are middle seats available.  I may put me up there for the leg room and dh can sit in coach.

You need to talk to someone. An agent can do things that passengers cannot do, including upgrades to seats that appear not to be available for that when we look on our side.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TechWife said:

You need to talk to someone. An agent can do things that passengers cannot do, including upgrades to seats that appear not to be available for that when we look on our side.

This.  Call.  Be friendly and polite, but persistent.

Anne

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ***** said:

I was told also by the agent who helped with rebooking that if we didn't get some kind of compensation for a later flight (discount), we should call and ask for one, because of the inconvenience to us. No one could tell us why the planes were late and the weather wasn't bad across the country. I think they are overbooking and don't have enough flights/employees at the time.

.)

DFW has had an ice storm, and it's been extremely icy since Monday.  No surprise flights have been cancelled.

The most unusual delay I've ever had was: I was in Chicago and my connecting flight was delayed five hours.  the *plane* we needed was on the tarmac at LAX.  LAX was closed due to the smoke from the fires.

40 minutes ago, TechWife said:

36 minutes ago, Anne said:

This.  Call.  Be friendly and polite, but persistent.

Anne

and pathetic - "my dsil in having major back surgery, so we're all very stressed".   (it's not the simple - oh, just put in a couple screws most back surgeries are. . . . )  He's in surgery right now.  The neighbor just came and took 4yo-dgs to play.  It was so icy earlier, we couldn't even walk on the front sidewalk.   the deicer was in the car she left at home (we thought it was in the car she took) - hurrah - so that's been helping.

Just now, stephanier.1765 said:

Oh you should absolutely get the upgrade fee back. I always have.

I figure it will take a few days to show up.  Depending upon traffic at the airport tomorrow,  I may just talk to customer service there.  Currently the internet is out at the house.   Not sure why.  I suspect new service provider. 

• Like 1