Menu

Teen formal dresses (again!)

teachermom2834

Well we survived homecoming and now dd’s school has decided to add a winter ball. She is so excited. I immediately think “oh man…dress shopping again…ack!” 

We don’t need to rehash the horrors of the current homecoming styles (though surely we’ll have some of that) but I do remember a few people had some suggestions of websites they had found decent formal dresses on. I remember people sharing cute pictures so I know it can be done. So…any ideas for winter formalish dresses for a young teen? She is more modest than most but she can show knees and shoulders and such 🙂 

We live in the southeast. Our biggest regional store for formalwear is Dillards and we have some smaller independent places we can check out. I’m willing to order online if it is easily returnable. 

The range of what girls wear is probably pretty wide. She could probably wear something fairly casual and bling it up. 

At least I know we will not be doing prom because her school does not allow freshman to attend that one. Phew! 

Dd has had good luck online. “Affordable Prom dresses” and go from there. We have a friend who can do hemming or minor alterations. Two came from China, so not easily returnable, but also not expensive. One was from an online bridal and formalwear shop. I’ll see if she has the names when she gets home. None of hers was over $100, one was only $40. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Thanks 1

Have they announced that it will be formal? My daughter’s winter dances were more like a themed dance, vs formal. I am sure lots of people wore semi-formal ( and skipped the theme)  but not full length formal like prom. One was a white out dance, with 80s throw back black light reactive /neon clothes. I don’t remember the last theme, but they were all dressed in togas/white dresses with Roman or Grecian style accessories. Another was ala Carnival. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tap said:

Have they announced that it will be formal? My daughter’s winter dances were more like a themed dance, vs formal. I am sure lots of people wore semi-formal ( and skipped the theme)  but not full length formal like prom. One was a white out dance, with 80s throw back black light reactive /neon clothes. I don’t remember the last theme, but they were all dressed in togas/white dresses with Roman or Grecian style accessories. Another was ala Carnival. 

Yes it’s formal. I asked her to make sure. When I was in high school we wore jeans and tshirts to our dances except prom. That could come back! 

But they do love the themes. She is dressed in theme for one thing or another every other week it seems! 

We bought my dd’s homecoming dress and her winter formal dress online at lulus.com. It had a great return policy (free returns in the first 10 days of receiving item, I believe). I think they carry many styles and the prices weren’t ridiculous (neither dress was over $100). 

Good luck! All of this dress shopping stresses me out!!

• Thanks 1

My daughter wore this to homecoming and it was very flattering on her.  (Much more flattering and nice in person than it appears on the model).

She was trying to find something more modest than a lot out there.  The higher neckline and straps were a plus for her.  And the length was decent.  No risk of butt cheeks hanging out.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/bcx-juniors-asymmetrical-hem-rhinestone-dress?ID=10364925&CategoryID=5449&swatchColor=Black

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1