Menu

Help me find a work spot

TexasProud

12 minutes ago, happi duck said:

None of this screams that it must be done behind a closed door.  You seem to have more need for privacy and gear storage.  

Umm... yes it does. The doors are always closed when he is meeting with board members/committee members, interviewing potential trip participants, meeting with people in Africa, etc. I mean, you don't want people walking around behind the computer screen. I am not taking his study space from him. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, theelfqueen said:

It looks to me like you don't eat in your dining room. Can that space be emptied and reclaimed? 

Well, now that Covid is over, I hope to have Sunday School and choir parties here.  We used to have people over and I hope to again. Our house is one of the few ones big enough to host groups of 30-50.  Also, we do use it for holidays and extended family (again, prior to Covid). I mean, I hope someday that our children get married and have children. Our breakfast table only seats 6.  The formal dining sits 12. Plus, the table is solid wood as is the other furniture in that. It feels wasteful to get rid of it.  We saved up a long time to buy it. 

Edited to add...sorry, Covid isn't over.  In fact it looks like it is getting worse.  But hosting parties is part of what I love to do, so I want to use this space again for that. 

Edited by TexasProud

5 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Well, now that Covid is over, I hope to have Sunday School and choir parties here.  We used to have people over and I hope to again. Our house is one of the few ones big enough to host groups of 30-50.  Also, we do use it for holidays and extended family (again, prior to Covid). I mean, I hope someday that our children get married and have children. Our breakfast table only seats 6.  The formal dining sits 12. Plus, the table is solid wood as is the other furniture in that. It feels wasteful to get rid of it.  We saved up a long time to buy it. 

Edited to add...sorry, Covid isn't over.  In fact it looks like it is getting worse.  But hosting parties is part of what I love to do, so I want to use this space again for that. 

If you know you will use the dining room in the future, by all means keep it. You could certainly use the table as an office desk and just move your things when you are having company. But, the fact that you saved up a long time for a piece of furniture isn't really a good reason to keep it if it's not useful for you (or going to be useful).  "I paid good money for that!" is often given as a reason not to get rid of something that is no longer useful, but it really makes  no sense.

I know you said the house is open concept, but I'm not clear if the dining room can be private? Or, could you make it more private/quiet by putting up a wall or two, adding maybe a glass french door which can be left open during parties and such?  Just musing on that. 

But it does sound like your family/household is in a bit of flux right now, with not-quite-launched adult children. I hope you are able to settle on a decent solution till your kids are more settled. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marbel said:

. But, the fact that you saved up a long time for a piece of furniture isn't really a good reason to keep it if it's not useful for you (or going to be useful).  "I paid good money for that!" is often given as a reason not to get rid of something that is no longer useful, but it really makes  no sense.

Yes, I know.  But even then... I would really like to get rid of the giant, huge, solid wood entertainment center you can see in the living room. No one watches tv in it.  When all three kids are here or they bring friends home, then they play the Wii with it, but that could easily be moved to the playroom.  And though it used to be needed if some of us wanted to watch football and others wanted to watch a movie, since they stream on devices, it just isn't needed. 

No one will take it: none of the thrift shops, no non-profits.  That said, I am using it to display things from our travels and to keep my collection of antique books, but yeah, would rather have a lighter (both in color and in weight) and smaller bookshelf or something.  

35 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Umm... yes it does. The doors are always closed when he is meeting with board members/committee members, interviewing potential trip participants, meeting with people in Africa, etc. I mean, you don't want people walking around behind the computer screen. I am not taking his study space from him. 

Umm...there are other ways to position oneself for Zoom meetings besides a dedicated room.  Those of us taking time to give ideas do actually know what we're talking about.  Perhaps your dh would happily move to another spot, no "taking" necessary.

You asked for help.

Maybe this needed to be "there's no room for me in my giant house, jawm"

Signed, cranki duck

• Like 1

We are pretty much empty nesters now but our young adults, spouses, college kid and multiple friends (like, there’s very often someone we are not actually related to sleeping over) are in and out all the time so we’ve left bedrooms as bedrooms. My dh has his a room that is his home office. 

I have 4 tote bags that can hang on wall hooks behind a door. Different tasks/project materials go in each bag. My laptop circulates among them. When I am ready to work, I take down the bag I need and work with its contents, on an available table at home, a local coffee shop, or the library. 

Our library system has conference and study rooms that can be reserved free of charge. I’m a regular and can even bring in my own food and drink. Perfect for spreading out my work, taking a zoom meeting or online workshop, dry erase boards to utilize. Even sound studio for recording podcasts, audio versions of writing, etc. 

You are way overthinking your challenges. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

We are pretty much empty nesters now but our young adults, spouses, college kid and multiple friends (like, there’s very often someone we are not actually related to sleeping over) are in and out all the time so we’ve left bedrooms as bedrooms. My dh has his a room that is his home office. 

I have 4 tote bags that can hang on wall hooks behind a door. Different tasks/project materials go in each bag. My laptop circulates among them. When I am ready to work, I take down the bag I need and work with its contents, on an available table at home, a local coffee shop, or the library. 

Our library system has conference and study rooms that can be reserved free of charge. I’m a regular and can even bring in my own food and drink. Perfect for spreading out my work, taking a zoom meeting or online workshop, dry erase boards to utilize. Even sound studio for recording podcasts, audio versions of writing, etc. 

You are way overthinking your challenges. 

So cool.  That would be awesome. Our little library  in our small town is really small. 

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

I am sorry everyone. I never meant to upset people or make them cranky.  I should know better than to ask.  I am a spoiled brat.  I will figure it out.  Sorry.  I never meant to upset people. 

You don't need to judge yourself a spoiled brat!

The hive is a great group to ask for help but consider approaching ideas given with some curiosity before you shoot ideas down.

"I wonder how dh could attend Zoom meetings outside the study?" "I wonder how I could reconfigure the bedroom nook?" Etc. 

I hope you figure out a space for yourself!  I made tons of videos while our church building was closed down and am involved in new ministries that are Zoom only.  Dh had worked from home since well before 2020.  I completely understand having to juggle gear and work spaces!

This is a good place to ask for creative solutions if you can be open to considering things that you wouldn't have thought to do.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I am sorry everyone. I never meant to upset people or make them cranky.  I should know better than to ask.  I am a spoiled brat.  I will figure it out.  Sorry.  I never meant to upset people. 

I think quite the opposite. More like you consider everyone else’s needs over your own. Dh has his office, your kids have rooms and playroom, but you don’t seem to feel entitled to have your own space. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I think quite the opposite. More like you consider everyone else’s needs over your own. Dh has his office, your kids have rooms and playroom, but you don’t seem to feel entitled to have your own space. 

True.  Happi Duck just triggered me, I think. She made me feel bad for asking, which is why I NEVER ask real people in my life. 

Just now, pinball said:

She didn’t MAKE you feel anything.

own your sh!t

Good point. I should have just said, "I feel condemned and want to hide." That is how I feel, but no, she didn't make me feel that way.  It is just how i feel. 

And on these threads in the future. I should do what I do in real life which is nod and say, "Thank you.  Good ideas." and not say what I am thinking. 

9 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Good point. I should have just said, "I feel condemned and want to hide." That is how I feel, but no, she didn't make me feel that way.  It is just how i feel. 

And on these threads in the future. I should do what I do in real life which is nod and say, "Thank you.  Good ideas." and not say what I am thinking. 

In the future maybe just ask simple questions and leave out all the (dare I say it) virtue-signaling details. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

You also don't have to respond to every post/suggestion people make. If someone asks a question, sure, answer it. But the "like" or "thank you" buttons are useful for threads like this. I think it's good to acknowledge all responses to a question (I try to do so when I start a thread asking for advice/ideas), but they don't all require more back-and-forth.  

• Like 2

I'm following along but mainly because I'm totally envious of having so many possibilities.   We have four people in an 800 square foot, 6 rooms total house.   My printer and a small desk are on one wall of the living room, I use a lapdesk to work on my computer sitting on the couch, often while dh is on the other end of the couch watching football, the kids are in their rooms playing games or talking to friends and I can hear every laugh, giggle, shriek and comment.  I've gotten really good at tuning out excess noise.  

Given the amount of time you are going to be away from home, I like Grace's idea for all the tote bags.   That would make it super easy to use whatever space is available or that feels comfortable at the moment (maybe it's a hot day and the kitchen is the coolest room in the house, or its a beautiful spring day and you want to sit out on the porch, or curl up in a comfy chair with a blanket in the bedroom) and bring them on the road with you when you travel.   

Just now, Wheres Toto said:

I'm following along but mainly because I'm totally envious of having so many possibilities.   We have four people in an 800 square foot, 6 rooms total house.   My printer and a small desk are on one wall of the living room, I use a lapdesk to work on my computer sitting on the couch, often while dh is on the other end of the couch watching football, the kids are in their rooms playing games or talking to friends and I can hear every laugh, giggle, shriek and comment.  I've gotten really good at tuning out excess noise.  

Given the amount of time you are going to be away from home, I like Grace's idea for all the tote bags.   That would make it super easy to use whatever space is available or that feels comfortable at the moment (maybe it's a hot day and the kitchen is the coolest room in the house, or its a beautiful spring day and you want to sit out on the porch, or curl up in a comfy chair with a blanket in the bedroom) and bring them on the road with you when you travel.   

Yeah, I know I shouldn't complain.   Will have to brainstorm how the totes would work.

And yes, I know, I am commenting again instead of just hearting.  But I have now been home for a week almost by myself.  My daughter is out with friends . She sleeps when I am awake pretty much.  We have done some stuff in the evenings, but I am missing talking to people.  So this is my conversation. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Along the same lines is a rolling cart or a big, organized basket. I've used both at different times. My office space has migrated to various systems and spots in the house depending on who is living here and what's going on. The rolling cart (or the basket) goes where I go. Dh similarly has a rolling cart for his watercoloring supplies. 

That said, I think you have lots of options. Don't put off carving out your own space based on travel. Just set it up. It won't take as long as you think it will. If needs change in six or eight months, big deal. You can adjust then. 

• Like 1