Menu

December Healthy Eating

Selkie

Christmas 

120 🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

Lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cucumber, chocolate squares 

dinner- Figgy Piggy (Hawaiian pork roast wrapped in banana leaves), brown rice, corn, carrots, green beans, tomato slices 

Christmas “gnomes “ for dessert- mini brownie bite, df “whipped cream “, strawberry hat. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

Oh, Thank you for that info! I had not heard that before and am very interested in DNA repair. I have been researching growing citrus and want a Buddha’s hand citrus. I have heard it is often used for homemade salad dressings. 

After three days of holiday eating, I am so over food. Alas. We have company coming in from out of town tomorrow, along with young adult son’s birthday. (And I haven’t even eaten all that bad. I knew supper Friday night would have more sugar, carb and dairy than I am used to, so I had raw green smoothies for breakfast and lunch. Same with yesterday. But it has still been too much of “heavier” foods.) 

Ooh, Buddha's hand looks so interesting. I ordered two kumquat varieties to grow indoors, Changshou and Meiwa. Dr. Fuhrman has mentioned Meiwa several times and says it's his favorite and is sweeter than other kumquats. I ordered them from Logee's and they won't ship until the temperature is above 34 degrees here, so I have a few months to wait!

• Like 3

Bagel in the morning with peanut butter in the morning.

My mom made a ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, and gf cheesecake. I would like to have had a lot more veggies. However, we didn't have them because I had a horrific headache in the night, and felt terrible in the morning so I didn't make roast carrots and broccoli salad as I had intended.

We really didn't feel like eating much tonight. We just ate the leftover spinach artichoke dip from the night before.

We did not over eat by any stretch. But, we also didn't get five - seven servings of veggies either. Oh well, it is a holiday and frankly, I think we did pretty well given what most Christmas festivities look like in terms of tons of meat and sweets.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kidlit said:

@SelkieIf you don't mind sharing, how do you source such a variety of produce?  I wouldn't even know where to begin to look! 
(a lurker to this thread who really wants to improve her diet, as mentioned on another thread)

Mostly from Misfits Market or my local grocery store. I’m in a rural area with only a couple grocery stores nearby, but I can usually find a pretty decent selection of produce. Our small town Walmart even has things like guava and passion fruit and wild blueberries. Anything I can’t get locally, I order from Misfits.

I buy some things directly from growers - like every fall, I get 15 pounds of garlic from a farmer.

For unsweetened dried fruit, I order from nuts.com. That’s where I get things like sour cherries, figs, and the antioxidant mix that we like with mulberries, goji berries, and goldenberries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, guava, mango, pear, apple, lemon and lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, beets, eggplant, cucumber, mushrooms, tomatoes, scallions, delicata squash, radishes, dry roasted edamame, seed mix sprinkle, sesame peanut dressing. A lemon G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of Tuscan mushroom stew. A sliver of Rain Forest Cake.

• Like 2

Monday 

121 🌈 

Lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cucumber, chocolate squares 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears 

dinner- black bean soup, salad 

Christmas “gnomes “ for dessert- mini brownie bite, df “whipped cream “, strawberry hat. 

• Like 2

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, scarlet runner beans, apple, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, guava, mango, cherries, lemon and orange zest, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, edamame, tomato, delicata squash, mushrooms, beets, eggplant, cucumber, sesame peanut dressing.

Dinner - I’m cleaning out the freezers this week and decided to make fajitas using three bags of assorted frozen veggies mixed with Mexican spices and then roasted. I also threw in a few other things like mushrooms, extra onions, and chopped bok choy.  Served it with corn tortillas, Shane & Simple’s Unfried Refried Beans, guacamole, cilantro, scallions, jalapeños, and salsa. Also had a sliver of Rain Forest Cake.

• Like 2

Today was a crazy day. Not much cooking.

Bagel and boiled egg for breakfast

Large salad and loaded baked potato lunch

Green beans, pinto beans with turkey bacon, cottage cheese, and roast carrots (didn't cook the carrots, my made more than she wanted and sent a serving to me) - dinner

No snacks today. Too busy quilting

• Like 3

On 12/25/2022 at 8:12 PM, Selkie said:

Ooh, Buddha's hand looks so interesting. I ordered two kumquat varieties to grow indoors, Changshou and Meiwa. Dr. Fuhrman has mentioned Meiwa several times and says it's his favorite and is sweeter than other kumquats. I ordered them from Logee's and they won't ship until the temperature is above 34 degrees here, so I have a few months to wait!

Super super jealous! We can’t have citrus shipped in to this state because of regulations. I have toyed with ordering some kumquats (thanks to Dr Fuhrman’s videos!) and having them shipped to a friend just across state line. So far, I haven’t. But I do have a bounty out for any friends or family visiting other states and finding one or three and bringing them back for me. LOL I am told our nurseries may have some in the spring, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. The nurseries in our state have had a hard time the past few years with Covid, then the big freeze event of February 2021 when many greenhouses failed to keep their heat and lost large amounts of product. 

• Like 2

Tuesday

122 🌈 

dinner- gf df nightshade free “spaghetti” ( beets, pumpkin, ground beef and ground mushroom mix, mushrooms, onions), corn and rice spaghetti noodles. 

A couple of squares of chocolate 

• Like 2

Wednesday:

Breakfast - Fried egg and toast, V-8 juice, long celery stick

Lunch - Baked potato with steamed broccoli and sauteed mushrooms, hummus and red pepper

Dinner - I made this super yummy rice and pinto beans and out some shredded cheddar on it. Spinach salad, leftover steamed broccoli.

No snacks tonight. I will have a quilt in my lap stitching the binding all night long.

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, vaquero beans, kiwi, strawberries, peaches, pineapple, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, apple, guava, mango, orange & lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, figs, sour cherries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, edamame, eggplant, tomato, cucumber, beets, scallions, zucchini, seed mix, sesame peanut dressing. Two mandarins.

Dinner - BBQ tofu on sprouted wheat flatbread with cashew mayo, mustard, scallions, jalapeños, pickles. Roasted baby potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes seasoned with nutritional yeast and herbs (these were fantastic). Steamed veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots). The last sliver of Rain Forest Cake.

• Like 2

Wednesday

123 🌈 

dinner- Italian sausage, red, orange and yellow bell peppers, broccoli, onions, carrots, celery, sugar snap peas, brown rice 

• Like 2

I’m not sure where I’m at with the holiday craziness on top of the hideous winter storm and now wedding chaos. (Wedding is on Friday.) 

I had a driving day after Christmas and then a crazy day at home scrambling together details. On the driving day I started off with egg and veg/potato scramble and a Jimmy Johns UNWICH for lunch. So far so good. Then chips in the car—unnecessary and not so good. Bippibop for dinner (purple rice, cabbage salad, other veg and tofu on top). Ate 2-3 pieces of Christmas candy made by a friend, each a profound disappointment as they tasted cheap and chalky and not worth the calories.

Home day—granola followed by various odds and ends from the frig throughout the day. All good. I did eat some dark chocolate too.

Yesterday—So much chaos.

Breakfast—granola and soy milk. An apple.

Lunch—Found a random taco place but they had only flour tortillas. Negotiated for a Chipotle-style rice bowl with taco toppings.

Dinner—Dsil brought leftovers from Christmas and the bachelor party. Had some Polish sausage and sauerkraut and various raw veggies.

I hope food is easier today but I don’t think it will be any simpler for days. Today is rehearsal day and tomorrow is wedding day. Saturday we’re serving brunch to cousins who drove in and then dealing with a zillion post-wedding logistics before we can go home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

I’m not sure where I’m at with the holiday craziness on top of the hideous winter storm and now wedding chaos. (Wedding is on Friday.) 

I had a driving day after Christmas and then a crazy day at home scrambling together details. On the driving day I started off with egg and veg/potato scramble and a Jimmy Johns UNWICH for lunch. So far so good. Then chips in the car—unnecessary and not so good. Bippibop for dinner (purple rice, cabbage salad, other veg and tofu on top). Ate 2-3 pieces of Christmas candy made by a friend, each a profound disappointment as they tasted cheap and chalky and not worth the calories.

Home day—granola followed by various odds and ends from the frig throughout the day. All good. I did eat some dark chocolate too.

Yesterday—So much chaos.

Breakfast—granola and soy milk. An apple.

Lunch—Found a random taco place but they had only flour tortillas. Negotiated for a Chipotle-style rice bowl with taco toppings.

Dinner—Dsil brought leftovers from Christmas and the bachelor party. Had some Polish sausage and sauerkraut and various raw veggies.

I hope food is easier today but I don’t think it will be any simpler for days. Today is rehearsal day and tomorrow is wedding day. Saturday we’re serving brunch to cousins who drove in and then dealing with a zillion post-wedding logistics before we can go home. 

That is a lot on our plate. Don't worry about healthy eating because that adds stress. Just get through the mess, and then you can get back into your eating routine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, lentils, strawberries, peaches, sour cherries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apple, pear, guava, kiwi, lemon and lime zest, fig, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Big salad with mixed greens, edamame, delicata squash, beets, eggplant, cucumber, tomato, carrots, seed sprinkle mix, sesame peanut dressing. A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Two small artichokes. BBQ tofu in a whole grain pita pocket with red onion, pickles, cashew mayo, mustard. Steamed veggies (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli). Buffalo Brussels sprouts (from the Esselstyn's latest cookbook - these have become favorites of ours. Halved Brussels sprouts coated in balsamic vinegar, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast and then roasted.)

• Like 2

Thursday 

124 🌈 

Lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

dinner- broiled salmon, cabbage, carrots, purple cabbage, edamame, quinoa, poppyseed dressing, brown rice 

• Like 2

Thursday 

Breakfast—granola with soy milk and a banana 

Lunch—deli meat sandwiches with lettuce and using warmed corn tortillas as bread, also chips, an orange 

Snacked on dark chocolate and almonds 

Dinner—Mexican. Yummy chicken tacos with salsa, fresh guacamole, fresh pico de gallo

Wedding day tomorrow.

• Like 2

Delurking to ask a silly question but I'm thread-curious, do you guys write down your meals as you eat them then post?  I have a habit goal to stop snacking. I already know I would forget what I snacked on if I didn't write it down, but I know I would not stop mid-crunch to write. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eos said:

Delurking to ask a silly question but I'm thread-curious, do you guys write down your meals as you eat them then post?  I have a habit goal to stop snacking. I already know I would forget what I snacked on if I didn't write it down, but I know I would not stop mid-crunch to write. 

The only meal that is different for me is my dinner. But I started out experimenting with breakfast and my blood sugars. I got that cemented and memorized before experimenting with my lunch….   Right now I’m experimenting with my overnight blood sugars (which are higher than I want them to be as I am awake st 3:30 am) despite starting out low. 

Anyway, I cut and paste the previous day’s menu and just change what I ate for dinner. Sometimes I have to look at a recipe or my leftovers to remember what veggies I used…

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eos said:

I was about to ask the same question!  I'm NO stranger to food logs, but I wondered if you guys have a better/different way. 

Edited by Kidlit
Autocorrected to "I stranger" to NO stranger
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Eos said:

I write a summary at the end and do my best to remember. From time to time I will post what I have already eaten and then post what is planned for later (like if I have not yet had dinner). That also keeps me accountable—if I have already said what the sensible plan is to the Public 😉 then by golly I had better keep my word. I don’t normally do that though—most of the time I try to remember late in the day or even the following morning. 

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eos said:

I also summarize in the evening, rather than keeping a running tally all day. A veggie probably gets forgotten here or there, but oh well.🙂 I'm done eating for the day by 6 pm and post shortly after that, when the details are still fresh in my mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kidlit said:

I was about to ask the same question!  I'm NO stranger to food logs, but I wondered if you guys have a better/different way. 

I have logged food for years. But since I eat the same things for most meals I can easily look back on past logs and could tell you calories, carbs And other macros. I haven’t been logging dinners lately but it would be easy to log those and just add it to what I already know. (But I do know the relative amount I am eating- especially carb grams because that’s most important for me. ). 

• Like 2

Just stopping in today to say it is going to be a lost cause! I am frantically finishing some projects because surprise guests are arriving that I did not think would be in today in town, and I thought I would be mailing their gifts some time next week. Nope. Now two quilts habe to be finished in record time.

I put Mark in charge of food and suggested I would be happy with a baked potato and steamed broccoli for lunch. But, instead, he just handed me a plate with three, huge sausage patties, two fried eggs, four pieces of toast and an orange.

Put me down for the unhealthy, overeating thread for today because he has more up his sleeve for supper. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with scarlet runner beans, oats, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, figs, sour cherries, blackberries, kiwi, apple, pear, passion fruit, dragon fruit, lemon & orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. A bowl of leftover fajita veggies topped with a few spoonfuls of Unfried Refried Beans and guacamole, cilantro, and salsa. A walnut chocolate chip WellBean bar.

Dinner - Dh was under the weather today so I made Healing Green Soup from Monkey & Me Kitchen Adventures. It’s a blended soup with onion, garlic, celery, carrot, potatoes, broccoli, green peas, veggie broth, soy milk, cashews, miso, nutritional yeast, parsley and lots of other spices. So I had a bowl of that and also leftover BBQ tofu on whole grain pita with pickles, red onions, cashew mayo, and mustard.

• Like 2

Friday

125 🌈 

Lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

dinner- 1/2 of a lettuce wrap with burger, cheese, lettuce, tomato; gf French fries in a dedicated fryer (half portion)  We’ll see if my blood sugars survive that  

• Like 2