Menu

December Healthy Eating

Selkie

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, pineapple, pear, apple, blueberries, sour cherries, kiwi, passion fruit, dragon fruit, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, lemon zest, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with a veggie burger, roasted eggplant, red onion, tomato, pickles, edamame, roasted mushrooms, cashew mayo, bbq sauce, mustard. A cup of pomegranate arils.

Dinner - Same tacos as last night, but different veggies. We only had a little bit of the cauliflower and mushrooms left, so I roasted two big bags of stir fry veggies with garlic, onion, chili powder, cayenne, smoked paprika, coriander, cumin, and black pepper. Turned out great.

• Like 2

Tuesday 

108.  🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with onions and red, yellow and orange bell peppers, mixed greens, mushrooms, bok choy , carrots, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, yellow summer squash, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares

Dinner - country scramble with pickled onions, green bell peppers, potatoes, cheese, tomato, arugula; gf toast with marionberry jam 

Mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pear 

• Like 2

Leftovers. Lots of leftovers, all of it pretty healthy. I did not want to cook today, and his mom had potato soup left, I had chicken veggie dumpling soup left, and my mom had broccoli cheese casserole, and chef salad. We traded leftovers around so everyone had some of each, and then ate on them throughout the day while we sewed.

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, lentils, blueberries, kiwi, banana, apple, pear, passion fruit, sour cherries, figs, lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed microgreens. Sandwich with Ezekiel bread, cucumber, roasted eggplant, tofu, carrot, tomato, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha. Pomegranate arils.

Dinner - Made one of our favorites, Monkey & Me’s Buffalo Chili (here’s my usual disclaimer - buffalo flavor, not buffalo the magnificent animal). Ingredients are onion, celery, garlic, tomato paste, veggie broth, diced tomatoes, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, lentils, corn, tahini, spices, beans (I used borlotti and butter beans), cashew cream. I added a few more of my powerhouse faves - mushrooms, edamame, and baby bok choy - and served it over riced cauliflower and farro. Also had an artichoke.

• Like 2

Wednesday

Breakfast--oatmeal with raisins, nuts, maple syrup, cashew milk. Also tea (S)

Lunch--chicken salad with corn chips (as a bread substitute)

Snack--dark chocolate and almonds

Dinner--Gorgeous Mexican food made by my Mexican friend. Beef barbacoa soup with some nifty corn masa thingies and a beautiful fruit soup/broth for dessert. The fruit soup was just stewed fruit with some sugarcane. It tasted like mead and the whole meal was light (lots of broth) but so flavorful. Eating light is easy when it's this tasty. 

• Like 2

Wednesday

109.  🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with onions and red, yellow and orange bell peppers, mixed greens, mushrooms, bok choy , carrots, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, yellow summer squash, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares

Dinner - country scramble with pickled onions, green bell peppers, potatoes, cheese, tomato, arugula; gf toast with marionberry jam 

• Like 3

Wednesday:

Boiled egg before I left the house. Took the elderly mothers on an excursion since I have been so busy with Christmas prep and making gifts that I have not spent any tike with them. 

They chose Taco Bell for lunch. Sigh. Ugh. Bought two sides of pinto beans and a side of tortilla chips to eat with them.

Supper - I made gf pasta shells with diced, steamed broccoli tossed with butter and garlic, roasted green beans, and stuffed portabella mushrooms. Dh had a small piece of pork with his, but I chose to remain meatless. I am trying to do that more often.

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, scarlet runner beans, kiwi, passion fruit, banana, apple, blueberries, pear, mango, pineapple, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with edamame, tofu, scallions, cucumber, tomato, red cabbage, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha.

Dinner - An artichoke and a bowl of leftover chili. An orange.

Dessert - Chocolate pecan nice cream.

• Like 2

Thursday:

Nothing for breakfast. I was out early getting one of the grandmother's to the hospital lab at 6 am, and then ran errands for her.

Lunch: 1 large pinto and black bean taco in a GF wrap with red pepper, dehydrated cherry tomatoes, and some guacamole.

Dinner: wild rice, green beans, salad, and grilled portabella sandwich on GF bun

Ate a few sunflower seeds mid-day.

• Like 2

Thursday

110  🌈 

Dinner - Japanese baked sweet potato, ground beef, corn, green beans, red peppers, onions, carrots 

• Like 2

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, lentils, dragon fruit, banana, kiwi, apple, blueberries, passion fruit, pear, sour cherries, figs, lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Ezekiel toast with peanut butter and no-sugar-added cherry and blueberry spread (I ordered these from Laura Ann’s Jams after seeing her on Chef AJ’s show. So good! She just uses a bit of white grape juice.)

Dinner - We finished off the last of the big pot of chili. Also had an artichoke.

• Like 2

Friday

111 🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pear

Dinner - gf chicken teriyaki, cabbage, carrots, onions, mung bean sprouts, broccoli 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, scarlet runner beans, figs, blueberries, banana, apple, kiwi, pear, dragon fruit, passion fruit, sour cherries, lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with edamame, cucumber, tomato, scallions, roasted mushrooms, cashew mayo, mustard, sriracha.

Dinner - I had a couple heads of cabbage to use up, so made baked “egg” rolls (Nasoya vegan egg roll wrappers, tofu, green & Napa cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, ginger). I made Dr. Fuhrman’s sesame peanut dressing as a dipping sauce (peanut butter, sesame seeds, soy milk, rice vinegar, dates, garlic, ginger, coconut aminos).

• Like 2

Saturday

112 🌈 

Lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pear

Dinner - gf chicken teriyaki, cabbage, carrots, onions, mung bean sprouts, broccoli 

Hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Today was NOT healthy. I hit the ground running, early, on coffee and nothing else  all day. I am so behind getting things done for Christmas because the grandmothers need so much help recently. 

No food until 6 pm. Mark had been helping his mom, and ate lunch at her house, got home to find me ripping out a seam on a quilt that is a Christmas gift, and also very hungry but unwilling to stop and make anything. He cooked.

Bean burritos and all the trimmings. Very very yummy.

He just brought me a snack of smoked oysters in gf pretzels.

Hopefully, tomorrow will go better.

• Like 2

Saturday

Breakfast--eggs with veg, potatoes, bacon

Lunch--lettuce wraps with turkey and ham and cucumber, also a few pickle slices on the side

Snack--dark chocolate. (Though I recently read the link someone posted on a thread here about the high levels of lead and cadmium in dark chocolate and I am thinking I probably need to break my chocolate habit. I'll ponder that for AFTER my son's wedding.)

Dinner--Chili with gf/df cornbread, plus fried plantains on the side. 

• Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, kiwi, cantaloupe, pineapple, pear, apple, blueberries, passion fruit, sour cherries, figs, dragon fruit, banana, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with tofu, scallions, carrot, shredded red cabbage, tomato, cashew mayo, sweet heat balsamic vinegar. Two mandarins.

Dinner - Leftover baked “egg” rolls with peanut sesame dipping sauce. I made Hasselback potatoes, too (Shane & Simple recipe) with cashew garlic basil aioli (also S & S). My dh is crazy for these potatoes. He kept sneaking bits out of the oven when they were only partially cooked.🙂

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, kiwi, cantaloupe, pineapple, pear, apple, blueberries, passion fruit, sour cherries, figs, dragon fruit, banana, lemon and orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with tofu, scallions, carrot, shredded red cabbage, tomato, cashew mayo, sweet heat balsamic vinegar. Two mandarins.

Dinner - Leftover baked “egg” rolls with peanut sesame dipping sauce. I made Hasselback potatoes, too (Shane & Simple recipe) with cashew garlic basil aioli (also S & S). My dh is crazy for these potatoes. He kept sneaking bits out of the oven when they were only partially cooked.🙂

Peanut sesame sauce...yum yum yum!!

• Like 2

Sunday

Breakfast--Leftover cornbread with raspberry jam and organic breakfast sausage. Also a banana and tea (NS)

Lunch--chili, an orange

Snack--dark chocolate

Dinner--Ordered from a fabulous Nepali restaurant. Flavors were intense and glorious. Goat with rice and spicy peanuts and veg. Also some little deep-fried besan flour thingies--the deep frying is probably not the healthiest, but they were tasty and stuffed full of veg and gluten free. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eos said:

Just for flavor?

Signed, 

a lurker

I started out adding citrus zest for the health benefits, but have found that it also adds a terrific burst of flavor.

I read about it in How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger. He says: “The dietary factor found best able to boost DNA repair was citrus fruit. Within two hours of consuming citrus, your DNA becomes significantly more resistant to damage, which may help explain why citrus consumption is associated with lower risk of breast cancer. Some of the citrus compounds thought responsible - which concentrate in the breast and enhance DNA repair - are found in the peel. This may be why people who eat at least some citrus peel appear to have lower skin cancer rates than those who don’t.”

He goes on to say drinking citrus juice or taking supplements does not boost DNA repair, so you should stick with the whole fruit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Monday

114 🌈 

Lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cucumber, chocolate squares 

Dinner- moo shu pork (pork, onions, garlic, ginger, hoisin, rice vinegar, gf soy sauce, cabbage, carrots, red cabbage); riceberry rice mix with red rice, chusei calrose, brown rice, wild rice 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Monday

Breakfast—banana on my way to the gym, then scrambled eggs with a bit of chopped bacon for flavor, an orange

Lunch—Didn’t really bother? I had a snack late afternoon of chips with salsa, also snacked while doing holiday errands on dark chocolate and almonds. 

Dinner—meatloaf (organic beef, tons of veg, oat bran, one egg), half a potato, broccoli, fabulous salad

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, vaquero beans, banana, kiwi, guava, apple, blueberries, pear, passion fruit, dragon fruit, pineapple, cantaloupe, lime and lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with roasted eggplant, tomato, shredded red cabbage, cashew garlic basil aioli.

Dinner - Tofu scrambles (tofu, onion, garlic, red and green bell peppers, jalapeños, mushrooms, kale, spices). Buffalo Brussels sprouts (recipe from the Esselstyn’s latest cookbook - basically just halved Brussels sprouts coated in a mixture of nutritional yeast, hot sauce, and balsamic vinegar and then roasted). Ezekiel toast with Laura Ann’s no-sugar-added marionberry and strawberry fruit spread.

• Like 2

We are fooded out, but mostly because we are just running our legs off helping the mothers, and I am a quilting nut trying to get presents done.

So today we kept it super duper simple.

Breakfast - scrambled eggs

Lunch - salads and fruit (mixed greens and spinach, green onions, carrots, dehydrated cherry tomatoes, black beans, parmesan, dressing of choice and navel oranges)

Small piece of dark chocolate mid afternoon

Savory polenta and roast brussel sprouts for supper

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, lentils, figs, sour cherries, blueberries, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, banana, lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with roasted veggies (eggplant, mushrooms, beets), edamame, tomato, shredded red cabbage, Greek vinaigrette. Two mandarins.

Dinner - Leftover tofu scrambles in whole grain pita with mashed avocado and cilantro.

Dessert - Pumpkin nice cream with cacao nibs.

• Like 2

Tuesday 

115 🌈 

Lunch-  scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, cucumber, chocolate squares 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears 

Dinner- moo shu pork (pork, onions, garlic, ginger, hoisin, rice vinegar, gf soy sauce, cabbage, carrots, red cabbage); riceberry rice mix with red rice, chusei calrose, brown rice, wild rice 

Hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - A WellBean bar while running errands. Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, ayocote morado beans, guava, kiwi, apple, blueberries, pomegranate, figs, pear, pineapple, cantaloupe, lemon & orange zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with tofu scrambles and mashed avocado. Pomegranate arils.

Dinner - Dinner was pretty amazing tonight. I took Rabbit & Wolves’ recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Gnocchi and gave it a few healthy tweaks (took out the olive oil and salt and used WFPB versions of the veggie sausage and Parmesan). It was spinach and mushroom gnocchi with sausage crumbles (made from walnuts, quinoa, brown rice, spices), garlic, and an Alfredo sauce made from silken tofu, pumpkin, soy milk, cashew-based Parmesan, and lemon juice. So good. Also had steamed broccoli and more pomegranate arils. (I love pomegranate season! They’re my favorite food.)

• Like 3

Wednesday

116 🌈 

Dinner- moo shu pork (pork, onions, garlic, ginger, hoisin, rice vinegar, gf soy sauce, cabbage, carrots, red cabbage); riceberry rice mix with red rice, chusei calrose, brown rice, wild rice, one slice of gf seeded brown bread with very sharp white cheddar cheese (open-faced grilled cheese)

Fruit cup with peaches, pears and pineapple

• Like 3

Yesterday:

Breakfast burritos of scrambled eggs, grilled veggies, cheddar cheese in wraps.

Lunch: tomato soup, left over potatoes and green beans from my mom who had entertained friends and cooked way too much.

Dinner: I made a big chicken pot pie heavy on veggies, green beans, peas, celery, carrote, potatoes, and some finely shredded spinach but not a lot of that last one. I used one chicken breast, cooked and shredded, and made a milk gravy, homemade GF double pie crust, lots of herbs. It was very yummy, and big. I used my deep dish tart pan. So...

Wednesday: we ate the chicken pot pie for lunch.

Breakfast: oatmeal (not my favorite thing in the world by any stretch but Mark loves it) with a little maple syrup, and then fruit.

Dinner: Spinach and parmesan stuffed jumbo portabella mushrooms with turkey bacon bits, leftover beef/vegetable stew which I had made for our mothers, and small salads. Aldi had nice greens so I picked up enough to get us through the storm. I was pleased. The new Aldi has produce that is world's better condition than the other grocery stores.

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, soybeans, pomegranate, blueberries, guava, kiwi, figs, sour cherries, pineapple, apple, pear, lemon & lime zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with edamame, radishes, roasted eggplant & beets, cashew garlic basil aioli.

Dinner - I heated up leftover sweet potato peanut stew from the freezer. Also had an artichoke, steamed broccoli, and toasted pita triangles with cashew z’hug cream cheese.

• Like 3

Thursday 

117 🌈 

snack-  one slice of gf seeded brown bread with very sharp white cheddar cheese (open-faced grilled cheese), Fruit cup with peaches, pears and pineapple

dinner- gf lemon thyme linguine, Italian sausage, red, orange and yellow bell peppers, broccoli, onions, carrots, celery, sugar snap peas

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Breakfast - Bagels with peanut butter

Lunch - cottage cheese, steamed artichoke, large salad with some roasted chicken on top

Dinner - trout that was fire grilled in the wood boiler 😁, spinach and parmesan stuffed portabellas (I am going to be making these a lot because they really hit the spot), mashed potato/carrot blend with Greek yogurt.

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, vaquero beans, passion fruit, pineapple, sour cherries, figs, kiwi, guava, apple, pear, blueberries, pomegranate, lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Ezekiel toast with peanut butter and no-sugar-added cherry and blueberry spread.

Dinner - Pizza (whole wheat crust, tomatoes, artichokes, and garlic) with steamed broccoli. 

Dessert - A sliver of Rain Forest Cake (yep, we ordered another of our favorite healthy fruit cakes from Alaine’s Green Heart 💚 Bakery).

• Like 2

Friday

118 🌈 

snack-  one slice of gf seeded brown bread with natural peanut butter, apple butter from the food co-op, Fruit cup with peaches, pears and pineapple

dinner- chicken, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, onion, broccoli, sugar snap peas, carrots; riceberry rice mix

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Mark made bagels, and they are delicious. So we have eaten on them all day with a variety of fruits, veggies, and meatless chilli. I also made some more mushrooms. We have been loving them! No hard and fast meal times, just grazing while we nap, read, babysit the wood fire, watch movies, and listen to the storm howl.

Probably not our healthiest day! But it also hasn't been heavy or rich food, just enjoyable.

• Like 3

119 🌈 

snack-  chocolate chips, spoonful of natural peanut butter 

dinner- chicken, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, onion, broccoli, sugar snap peas, carrots; riceberry rice mix

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Saturday -

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, scarlet runner beans, kiwi, blueberries, lemon zest, pineapple, guava, passion fruit, figs, sour cherries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with a veggie burger, roasted eggplant and beets, cashew mayo, mustard, bbq sauce. Two mandarins.

Dinner - Pizza (whole wheat crust, tomato, artichoke, garlic, pineapple, jalapeño). Steamed broccoli, zucchini, and summer squash. A sliver of Rain Forest Cake.

• Like 2

Saturday 

I’m claiming this day as a triumph for food. I made much better travel choices and I had only 2 gf cookies at our family celebration with dd and dsil. 

Breakfast—granola and soy milk, banana

Lunch—grilled chicken on gf bun from Chik-Fil-A and fries, unsweetened tea

Had some low-salt popcorn late afternoon.

Dinner—grilled pork tenderloin chop with mushrooms and onions, lovely salad

Enjoyed the two gf cookies during the dessert course.

• Like 2

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Watercress with mixed greens and microgreens. Breakfast bowl with oats, lentils, guava, pineapple, kiwi, blueberries, pomegranate, apple, pear, passion fruit, figs, sour cherries, lemon zest, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, almonds, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, soy milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with black bean burger, scallions, tomato, cashew mayo, mustard, bbq sauce. Two mandarins.

Dinner - I made Monkey & Me’s Tuscan Mushroom Stew and added mushroom and spinach ravioli. Totally delicious! Ingredients were onion, mushrooms, garlic, coconut aminos, veggie broth, diced tomatoes, beans (I used borlotti and butter beans), spices, kale, ravioli. Also had a salad of mixed greens with sesame peanut dressing.

Dessert - will be chocolate pecan nice cream.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:57 AM, Selkie said:

I started out adding citrus zest for the health benefits, but have found that it also adds a terrific burst of flavor.

I read about it in How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger. He says: “The dietary factor found best able to boost DNA repair was citrus fruit. Within two hours of consuming citrus, your DNA becomes significantly more resistant to damage, which may help explain why citrus consumption is associated with lower risk of breast cancer. Some of the citrus compounds thought responsible - which concentrate in the breast and enhance DNA repair - are found in the peel. This may be why people who eat at least some citrus peel appear to have lower skin cancer rates than those who don’t.”

He goes on to say drinking citrus juice or taking supplements does not boost DNA repair, so you should stick with the whole fruit.

Oh, Thank you for that info! I had not heard that before and am very interested in DNA repair. I have been researching growing citrus and want a Buddha’s hand citrus. I have heard it is often used for homemade salad dressings. 

After three days of holiday eating, I am so over food. Alas. We have company coming in from out of town tomorrow, along with young adult son’s birthday. (And I haven’t even eaten all that bad. I knew supper Friday night would have more sugar, carb and dairy than I am used to, so I had raw green smoothies for breakfast and lunch. Same with yesterday. But it has still been too much of “heavier” foods.) 

• Like 2