Menu

DS 12 brought home DaVinci Code

His school is a K-8 school. They read books according to their reading levels which is computer tested. He is at a 9.5 level. Les Miserables is at a 9.8 reading level. He came home with the DaVinci Code at a 6.4 level.

Is it just me or does the graphic sex in this novel make it an inappropriate book for a k-8 school especially for the 6th grade level? Anyone?

I have read the book and my husband laughed his way through it as well, so I am not so naive about what is in this book? I'm now a little wary as to whatever else is lurking on the shelves of this elementary school library.

Your thoughts. He heard it was a good book about historical puzzles, like National Treasure.

not surprised at all. Trash and not appropriate still holds true, even if a school or teacher assigns it. In 7th grade honors class we were assigned "Clan of the Cave bear" which had many graphic r*p* scenes, so this does not surprise me.

one of our teen babysitters read the Divinci Code at her high school, that part did not so much bother me as much as hearing that the teacher did not use the book to dive into history, myth, etc but let the kids vote and discuss whether they believed the book to be true. It was peer-driven conclusion.

I thought he was kidding when he said he checked it out. When he showed me, I told him it was inappropriate and to take it back tomorrow. He thought he was in trouble. I told him "No, you did nothing wrong, its just not appropriate for your age group."

Yes, I agree with y'all, the history is fake, the writing only so-so and the plot predicatable. My husband read it and it made him feel great because he had a much better plot he was working on about the Templars. "If this guy can get published... I should be able to, too." ( And my husband is a writing genius, he would be appalled at my grammar and use of punctuation on this blog!)

I'm debating on whether to photocopy the pages of impropriety and mail it to the principal with a kind note...........or just let it go.

DS is back homeschooling as soon as we sell this house...... (got to get it listed first)

It wouldn't hurt to point out the impropriety, just in case they didn't realize it was there. But then let it go.

I would do this also. When I read books, I don't think about whether or not this would be appropriate for kids (unless I'm considering recommending it to my dds.) Hopefully, whoever put the book in the library either hadn't read it or just forgot about that scene.

School libraries are full of trashy books though. "Anything to get the kids reading!" seems to be the slogan around here.

http://www.arbookfind.com/advanced.aspx a great search engine that gives a great overview of the levels and titles-many do not make sense. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand at level 7 or so . You have got to be kidding. There has been widespread criticism of this program which seems to have The Davinci Code at 6.4 so I assume it is AR. There are many excellent choices it would appear that more guidance from a knowledgeable reader would be a big assist for this young man. Personally I do think it is a laughable book both in content and more notably for the appalling writing. The tawdry sex is one thing but writing about it badly is a whole other type of offense! There are good books on the list as you can see. The problem is that the levels per se do not reflect the content of the books. The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck at a level 4 are these people literate ??? The program has been roundly criticized for this faulty system and the simple fact that great ideas are not meant to be parsed down into little fact questions that bear no connection to the meaning of the story. It is a great way to teach all the wrong things about literature. In short , black and white thinking as the standard ,there is no room for deep analysis and or debate with a computer program that only asks about fact /detail content queries with no other inquiry. Second the attachment of points to reading by virtue of the sheer number of words on a page is likewise ridiculous and unrelated to appreciating fine literature. Thirdly, the instructor or moderator has no need to pre read the texts ,this program does away with that. I recall reading a book in 7th grade titled Death Be Not Proud by John Gunther. Our teacher discussed the book with us and helped us navigate some choppy water for our young minds. The book touched all of us deeply but maybe it was not just the book maybe it was the fact that we were led through the book by a loving person who cared enough to teach us what was crucial ,what was a metaphor, how to view the text apart from its subject matter and a million other things she thought about . She really cared deeply and now I know that was what made her English class so special, it was not only the books she chose but how dedicated she was to teaching us to appreciate excellence. AR fails on all these criteria as well.

(At least one of ) Our Oregon schools had the book about different ways for (rabbits) to commit suicide.... Library books just aren't always appropriate....and we still get to pay for the books...Ugh...

And the Bible shouldn't be there..... Even if it's not true (and I believe it is) the writing is good! Which is more than you can say about most of the books in the school's libraries...

Carrie:-)