Menu

WBC and platelets

Carrie12345

Low end of normal is still normal, right?  Right???

My 15yo’s ped ordered a bunch of blood tests/screens for my ultra skinny boy. He got his father’s metabolism and my height. His growth curve has been pretty consistent since the preschool years, so we’ve never worried any further than continuing to encourage him to expand his palate.  But she was very unsatisfied with his BMI. Not specifically weight or height, but the combo.

Celiac, thyroid, and lipids were fine. CBC looks fine except for those two being so low on normal.

This would probably never stand out to me except for the fact that doctors once thought he might have leukemia, but instead he had Lyme. And because yesterday I noticed his under eyes looked a bit read, puffy, and dry.

But low normal is still normal, right???

• Like 2

My wbc is typically low sometimes under the lower limit. I don't know that you want to compare your 15yo ds to a 61yo lady, but here's something I learned when I searched. My low wbc did occur after I changed to a whole food plant based diet.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-is-the-ideal-white-blood-cell-count/              
exercise lowers wbc; lower inflammatory diet lowers wbc; not smoking lowers wbc; 3-9 would be ideal range                
(5:12 in video)                

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-does-a-low-white-blood-cell-count-mean/              
wbc lower limit of 3 might be better.  For each drop of 1, 14% decrease in risk of chronic heart disease, lower risk of cancer and stroke and all cause mortality                

Edited by Sunshine State Sue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

My wbc is typically low sometimes under the lower limit. I don't know that you want to compare your 15yo ds to a 61yo lady, but here's something I learned when I searched. My low wbc did occur after I changed to a whole food plant based diet.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-is-the-ideal-white-blood-cell-count/              
exercise lowers wbc; lower inflammatory diet lowers wbc; not smoking lowers wbc; 3-9 would be ideal range                
(5:12 in video)                

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-does-a-low-white-blood-cell-count-mean/              
wbc lower limit of 3 might be better.  For each drop of 1, 14% decrease in risk of chronic heart disease, lower risk of cancer and stroke and all cause mortality                

Thank you for these links.  My WBC is currently low and I have to have it repeated tomorrow at my oncologist's office.  I am so scared I can't sleep and keep crying.  I have wondered if my diet played a role.  I don't know (but suspect) what will happen if it is still low tomorrow.  It used to be in normal range but fell out of normal in March and has remained low (actually dropped even more).

On Dr. Fuhrman’s Ask the Doctor/Nutritarian Network forums, the topic of low WBC and platelets comes up often. He says it is normal for people eating a Nutritarian diet (basically, an ultra healthy version of whole food plant based) to have low WBC and platelets and that it is a sign of good health and low inflammation in the body. He says that doctors sometimes freak out at the lower numbers because they are used to seeing higher numbers from people who have lots of inflammation from the Standard American Diet.

I don’t know what your ds’ diet is like and if this would apply to him, but thought I would mention it.

36 minutes ago, Selkie said:

On Dr. Fuhrman’s Ask the Doctor/Nutritarian Network forums, the topic of low WBC and platelets comes up often. He says it is normal for people eating a Nutritarian diet (basically, an ultra healthy version of whole food plant based) to have low WBC and platelets and that it is a sign of good health and low inflammation in the body. He says that doctors sometimes freak out at the lower numbers because they are used to seeing higher numbers from people who have lots of inflammation from the Standard American Diet.

I don’t know what your ds’ diet is like and if this would apply to him, but thought I would mention it.

His diet is actually pretty crummy! He’ll munch on a select few raw veggies and fewer fruits. But he doesn’t eat much meat by Average American Stadards; steak, which we don’t have very often, plain chicken breasts, and too many processed chicken patties if there aren’t enough things he’ll eat at dinner. Occasionally wings or a hot dog.  It sounds like a lot, but it’s primarily plain chicken or those dang patties.
He drinks almond milk and water, plus Dh has been buying the kids soda on weekends.  
He tends to snack on yogurt, processed cereal, processed cereal bars, instant oatmeal, and chips.
Homemade and boxed Mac and cheese is a main staple.

He used to do protein smoothies, but they’re not currently on his list of will-dos. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

My WBC is currently low and I have to have it repeated tomorrow at my oncologist's office.  I am so scared I can't sleep and keep crying.  I have wondered if my diet played a role.  I don't know (but suspect) what will happen if it is still low tomorrow.

(Hugs) I'm sorry you are so scared.  What is your diet like?

My WBC was very low for a while with no explanation and then went back up.  It was in 2020 and it made me nervous because I was worried about being at higher risk for Covid.  It was like that for months and then the WBC went back up to normal.  I don't know if I had some kind of infection and didn't know it and then it resolved?  Anyway, I feel lucky that nothing came of it.  @Ditto I will be thinking of you and hoping all is well.  I'm sorry about the stress.  😞