Menu

thick, high quality fleece-lined hoodie - UPDATE IN FIRST POST

EmilyGF

Hi boardies,

A few years back DS10 got a hand-me-down Mini Boden hoodie that he literally wore every single day for two winters until he outgrew it and it was full of holes. I tried to replace it with a Target brand one that claimed to be a "sherpa-lined hoodie" but that weighed maybe half or less as much as the Mini Boden one. I actually tried to buy the Mini Boden one last winter, but it was back ordered until spring.

I'd like to give him a replacement one this year that is as thick and high quality as the Mini Boden one, but DS10 wears 15/16 (super tall, somewhat stocky) and the Mini Boden one only does up to 13/14.

I found this possible Carhartt alternative but am dragging my feet because it might be TOO thick. 

Do you know of a thick high-quality boys' hoodie you could recommend?

---------------

UPDATE: Bought the LL Bean and hoodie in largest size (18) and it was both smallish and lighter weight than I had hoped. I am returning it and ordering the Carhartt one in XS adult.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 1

OK, here's an LL Bean option:

LL Bean Iron Works which is $99 and looks pretty similar to the Carhartt, but maybe not as water repellent and therefore more breathable.

This is the kids' LL Bean Sherpa Lined Hoodie. Hmm, I thought I'd searched their site last night, but somehow I didn't see it. The sleeves aren't lined, though, and I think the Boden Sleeves were. I will check that. 

ETA: The Mini Boden Borg Hoodie has cotton-lined sleeves. Thanks!

Edited by EmilyGF

We have a few from old navy at my house that DS prefers over proper winter coats. I wear one of his outgrown hand-me-ups and I like the weight for when a hoodie is too cold but a coat is overkill. DS uses them all winter because he has a young MSN’s metabolism and burns hot all the time. 

ETA I don’t think of old navy as a high quality brand, but the two fleece lined hoodies we have are holding up really well. They must be 5-6 years old now and my sister called dibs on DS’s current hoodie when he outgrows it. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

Hi boardies,

A few years back DS10 got a hand-me-down Mini Boden hoodie that he literally wore every single day for two winters until he outgrew it and it was full of holes. I tried to replace it with a Target brand one that claimed to be a "sherpa-lined hoodie" but that weighed maybe half or less as much as the Mini Boden one. I actually tried to buy the Mini Boden one last winter, but it was back ordered until spring.

I'd like to give him a replacement one this year that is as thick and high quality as the Mini Boden one, but DS10 wears 15/16 (super tall, somewhat stocky) and the Mini Boden one only does up to 13/14.

I found this possible Carhartt alternative but am dragging my feet because it might be TOO thick. 

Do you know of a thick high-quality boys' hoodie you could recommend?

Emily

I was going to recommend Carhartt. S has one and used it yesterday (high 50s/low 60s and breezy) and was very comfortable. He hates being hot. Uses it all winter. 

I got my son a mens medium Adidas hoodie.  He is 13 and can go in the adults.

I think if you can go up to mens XS it opens up more options.  But those might be too big.  

I could have gone into mens sooner than I thought with him, it would have helped me to go ahead and check out mens XS sooner.  

• EmilyGF changed the title to thick, high quality fleece-lined hoodie - UPDATE IN FIRST POST