Menu

Dumb question re airfryers

madteaparty

I have one of those little countertop ovens that does a number of things like roasting, but also air-frying. It came with a bunch of trays. The air frying basket is sort of mesh. My question is, is that mesh basket the only, ahem, vessel I should airfry in? Otherwise I’m not actually airfrying? Can I use another one of the trays?  I ask because it’s not really possible to use the mesh basket for marinaded stuff as it would drip all over. 

i did say it was a dumb question but I’m leaning on this countertop oven thing a lot lately what with the diminishing household. 🙏🙏

Mine is a different model and my mesh crisper basket sits inside the pot so all the drips are in the pot.

e.g for the Maytag model which is probably similar to yours

https://producthelp.maytag.com/Cooking/Wall_Ovens_and_Ranges/Product_Info/Oven_Product_Assistance/Using_the_Air_Fry_Feature

Do you use a tray under air fryer basket?

To help prevent food dripping, a tray or sheet pan should be placed under the air fry basket. The tray can be placed on the same rack or the rack below.”
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:27 AM, Pawz4me said:

I have a Ninja air fryer/toaster oven/combo thing. It has a mesh basket and tray, but I can't tell that those work any better than my Nordic Ware quarter sheet pan. I line it with nonstick foil for easy clean up.

This is the one I have. I don’t actually know what “airfrying” means but I thought it had something to do with airflow. So I guess what I’m asking is, does lining the mesh basket or placing it on a solid tray defeat the purpose of the airfrying? Does it matter if I can still make salmon in 9 min? Lol 🙂 

7 hours ago, madteaparty said:

This is the one I have. I don’t actually know what “airfrying” means but I thought it had something to do with airflow. So I guess what I’m asking is, does lining the mesh basket or placing it on a solid tray defeat the purpose of the airfrying? Does it matter if I can still make salmon in 9 min? Lol 🙂 

My understanding is that air frying increases the airflow to be like super convection instead of regular convection. I haven't had any problems using the parchment paper in terms of speed of cooking, but clean up is significantly easier! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skimomma said:

And also, I love love LOVE this appliance!  I resisted for years because I am reluctant to add "gadgets" to my smallish kitchen.  But this has been a game changer!  We have never had a microwave so I was firing up the whole oven for every leftover reheat.  Never again.

I’m also anti appliance but with 3 people in the house, one of whom travels constantly and the other in middle school, firing up the oven seems overkill. Irony is that I received, along with my new house a 6 burner huge oven. It just sits there sarcastically, because between the instant pot for soups and beans and the convention stovetop I hardly use it (for pancakes, once a week?)…I also have never owned a microwave. 
i will love this thing once i learn how to use it a bit better. I hate learning new things in the kitchen lol 😉