Menu

September Healthy Eating

Selkie

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Sunflower fig WellBean bar while running errands, then broccoli and cabbage microgreens with watercress. Muesli with ayocote morado beans, banana, pear, apple, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, pomegranate, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Kale, lettuces, arugula. Whole wheat pita pocket with borlotti beans, scallions, pickles, cashew mayo, Dijon mustard, garlic, dill, paprika.

Dinner - Clean out the fridge night. A steamed artichoke and assorted leftovers (brown rice with chickpeas and lentils, broccoli and cauliflower and stir fry veggies, bbq tofu, cashew Alfredo, a few oven fries, and toasted whole wheat pita triangles).

• Like 2

Thursday-

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, vegan “cheese “, chocolate with cherries 

snack- banana.   Sugars were higher than normal but not too bad. 

dinner-  hamburger patty, corn on the cob, yellow grape tomatoes, mandarin oranges 

hard boiled eggs 

6th rainbow 🌈 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Friday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage microgreens with watercress. Muesli with pigeon peas, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, banana, kiwi, apple, pear, plum, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (kale, chard, arugula, lettuces). Borlotti beans in a whole wheat pita with cashew mayo, Dijon mustard, tomato, cucumber, pickles, dill, garlic, paprika, and a sprinkle of dulse.

Dinner - Khichari (basmati rice, mung beans, lemon juice, ginger, cumin, turmeric, coriander, curry leaves) with tofu and stir fry veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, pea pods, peppers, corn, water chestnuts, carrots).

• Like 2

7 rainbow 🌈 

Friday- 

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares with cherries 

snack- mandarin oranges 

dinner- gf teriyaki chicken, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, bean sprouts, brown rice 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with soybeans, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate, plum, apple, pear, banana, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Kale, frisée, lettuces, spinach, arugula. Whole wheat pita with borlotti beans, tomato, pickles, scallions, roasted mushrooms, cashew mayo, Dijon mustard, dill, garlic, paprika.

Dinner - Spicy peanut noodles - recipe from Monkey and Me, but I switched it up a bit. Soba noodles, tofu, red bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, scallions, mushrooms, baby bok choy, WFPB peanut sauce.

• Like 2

8 rainbow  🌈 

Saturday - 

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares with cherries 

snack- sugar free lime jello cup

dinner- gf teriyaki chicken, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, bean sprouts, brown rice and a corn on the cob 

hard boiled eggs

• Like 2

Friends, I have a pinched nerve in my neck and it's been pretty rotten. The only remotely good piece is that eating hurts so I have not been even a little bit tempted to have any junk. My kindly dh has been bringing me food, bless him.

Saturday

Breakfast--oatmeal with frozen fruit, splash of maple syrup, added some collagen powder as the painkillers are rough on my sensitive digestive system

Lunch--quinoa-chicken-veg stirfry

Snack--some nibbles of dark chocolate. Tried some chips and salsa dh brought up because he knows I love it, but my tum was upset so stopped. 

Dinner--Gf gnocchi and meat sauce, also collagen powder and plain ginger tea (NS)

• Like 2

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Kale and broccoli microgreens. Muesli with vaquero beans, kiwi, blueberries, pineapple, strawberries, blackberries, apple, pear, mango, pomegranate, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Lettuces, kale, spinach. Roasted za’atar eggplant in whole wheat pita with cashew mayo, mustard, tomato, edamame, a few leftover borlotti beans.

Dinner - Leftover spicy peanut noodles & veggies.

Vanilla macadamia nice cream with cacao nib sprinkles for dessert.

• Like 1

Sunday or perhaps we should call it egg day. 

9 rainbow 🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt 

lunch- scrambled eggs with bacon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, hash browns 

snack- raspberry with chocolate 

dinner- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, yellow tomatoes, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, blueberries, pineapple, banana, kiwi, apple, plum, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Kale, arugula, lettuces, tatsoi. Leftover spicy peanut noodles with veggies and tofu.

Dinner - Baked “egg” rolls with cabbage, bok choy, carrots, tofu, ginger, garlic.

• Like 1

Monday

Breakfast—low-sugar granola with cashew milk and a sprinkle of blueberries 

Lunch—quinoa stirfry with veg, chicken 

Snack—dark chocolate; also a couple tiny paleo gf chocolate cookies (almond flour). The cookies did not have much flavor and did not feel worthwhile. I was surprised, as I usually love almond flour products.

Dinner—bunless bison patty with onions, mushrooms, potatoes. Also a lovely salad.

• Like 2

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas and cranberry beans, banana, kiwi, plum, apple, pear, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (lettuces, kale, spinach, arugula). Two pieces of roasted za’atar eggplant and three leftover tofu/veggie rolls.

Dinner - Steamed artichoke with Greek vinaigrette. Creamy southwestern soup from Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures  - I made a huge amount of this for leftovers and the freezer. It has lots of veggies (potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, jalapeños, corn, tomatoes) plus pinto and cannellini beans, cashew cream, and lots of spices. I threw in some healthy extras - edamame and mushrooms - and topped it with avocado chunks.

• Like 2

11 rainbow 🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens,1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, red grapes 

snack- chocolate squares 

dinner- rotisserie chicken skillet with corn, black beans, red and green bell peppers, onions, vegan cheese, a scoop of raspberry chocolate chip gelato 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

12 rainbow 🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens,1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, red grapes 

dinner- rotisserie chicken skillet with corn, black beans, red and green bell peppers, onions, vegan cheese, carrot , a scoop of raspberry chocolate chip gelato 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage microgreens. Muesli with pomegranate, blueberries, cherries, guava, banana, kiwi, plum, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (butter lettuce, baby bok choy, arugula). Whole wheat pita with roasted za'atar eggplant, cashew mayo, dijon mustard, red onion, tomato, roasted beets, avocado.

Dinner - Artichoke with Greek vinaigrette. A bowl of leftover creamy southwestern soup.

• Like 2

Wednesday

Breakfast--eggs with bacon

Lunch--apple with peanutbutter, just a few cherries

Dinner--bunless bison burger with onions and mushrooms leftover from the other night, also rice

Snack--some more of those tasteless gf cookies. Why? Because they were there. Not my finest hour--there weren't many, but I need to eat for health and flavor.

• Like 2

13 rainbow  🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens,1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares 

snack- cherries with dark chocolate 

dinner- grilled chicken basted with mango and apricot, asparagus, white and yellow corn, carrots, brown rice 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli and cabbage microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, pomegranate, cherries, blueberries, kiwi, banana, guava, plum, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (kale, spinach, arugula). Lavash flatbread with roasted za’atar eggplant, cucumber, avocado, tomato, red onion, cashew mayo, Dijon mustard, sriracha. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Repeat of last night: An artichoke and a bowl of creamy southwestern soup.

• Like 2

I downloaded the rainbow app but it took too much time to enter it all in. I am tracking my macros loosely. Aiming to lose a few pounds. I put on some during my very stressful July. Lost a bit would like to lose 3-4  to get back at the low end of my preferred weight range instead of at the upper like I was (so I have more wiggle room).

bw: blueberries/soy milk/nf plain greek yogurt/homemade muesli (no oil or sweetner)

aw: smoothie? heading out to visit mom afterwards so want something quick- strawberries/almond milk/veg. choc protein powder/pb/cocoa/smidge of yogurt

lunch: tacos at mom's no idea on details

snacks: pistachios/apple

dinner: just went grocery shopping need to do menu

• Like 2

I've been vegetarian my whole life but have lately been playing with going more veganish. I was intrigued by the daily dozen concept and have been following that, slightly modified, for two weeks. I still eat a medium fat diet (mostly olive oil), I switched one fruit for another veggie, and I keep track over a week rather than having everything every day. So far I feel better than I thought I would. Lighter and less hungry than I expected. I've lost a little weight but could be normal fluctuation too. No sugar cravings so far. I'm feeling good enough that it is motivation enough to continue. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, livetoread said:

I've been vegetarian my whole life but have lately been playing with going more veganish. I was intrigued by the daily dozen concept and have been following that, slightly modified, for two weeks. I still eat a medium fat diet (mostly olive oil), I switched one fruit for another veggie, and I keep track over a week rather than having everything every day. So far I feel better than I thought I would. Lighter and less hungry than I expected. I've lost a little weight but could be normal fluctuation too. No sugar cravings so far. I'm feeling good enough that it is motivation enough to continue. 

Welcome! Dr. Greger is one of my favorite humans ever. His book How Not to Die gave me a much needed kick in the butt several years ago to get serious about my health. Thanks to him, I am now much healthier and happier, and many pounds lighter!

• Like 3

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with ayocote morado beans, kiwi, banana, plum, apple, pear, pomegranate, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - A big colander full of mixed lettuces. Lavash flatbread with avocado, red onion, carrot, cucumber, tomato, edamame, cashew mayo, Dijon mustard, sriracha.

Dinner - Pumpkin chili. Someone posted the recipe in one of my plant based groups and it Is a good one - very spicy! Ingredients include tomatoes, pumpkin, garlic, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, green chilies, pinto beans, black beans, spices, and several handfuls of kale that I threw in at the end.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Pumpkin chili. Someone posted the recipe in one of my plant based groups and it Is a good one - very spicy! Ingredients include tomatoes, pumpkin, garlic, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, green chilies, pinto beans, black beans, spices, and several handfuls of kale that I threw in at the end.

I'd like the recipe if you can forward it. I haven't made  a pumpkin chili yet but have been wanting to.

• Like 3

14 rainbow  🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, raspberry coconut yogurt, 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens,1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares 

snack- cherries with dark chocolate 

dinner- bacon burger lettuce wrap with pickles, red and yellow tomatoes,  salad with tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, sweet potato fries 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Friday

Breakfast--A handful of keto ginger snaps. which sounds bad but I think it's actually okay. I'm on super-sleepy meds dealing with a pinched nerve, and mornings are tough. Dh has been doing shopping and cooking this week, and he had put some snacks by the chair where I have been working. The cookies are grain free and low sugar and all kinds of healthy ingredients, so I figured why not. I was groggy and couldn't quite face going downstairs yet. Not much appetite, so it was just a few.

Lunch--rice and leftover pork tenderloin

Snack--dark chocolate, an orange, avocado with some gf keto chips

Dinner--Mediterranean chicken and veg and rice stirfry

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I'd like the recipe if you can forward it. I haven't made  a pumpkin chili yet but have been wanting to.

Sure! It's a crockpot recipe, but could be easily adapted to cooking on the stove (or probably in an Instant Pot).

Add all ingredients to the crockpot, stir to mix, and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

28 oz. crushed tomatoes

14.5 oz. diced tomatoes

15 oz. pumpkin

15 oz. pinto beans, drained and rinsed

15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 c. diced green chiles

2 c. chopped mushrooms

1 1/2 c. chopped zucchini

1 1/2 c. chopped onion

2 tsp. powdered garlic (I subbed a couple tablespoons of minced fresh garlic)

1/2 tsp. cayenne

1 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. pumpkin spice

1/2 tsp. cumin

• Like 3

Hi guys, I fell off the bandwagon.  I need to get back on!

Yesterday I was pretty good until evening.  I ate fresh fruit/veggies and a salad with chicken.  But then something unexpected came up requiring all my attention for the rest of the night.  I ended up eating half a bag of cheddar Ruffles.  😕

Well ... I did make a start.  Here's hoping I can get back to good habits.

Today, so far I haven't eaten.  The only reason I'm up is because I need to be on pup duty (our dog + a visitor dog, both unpredictable).  Hopefully the pups give me a chance to prepare good food.

• Like 3

Welcome, @SKL!

I realized that I forgot to post yesterday. It was a long and hectic night - one of my horses had a medical emergency, but all is well now, thankfully!

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with soybeans, kiwi, banana, plum, apple, pear, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, pomegranate, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (kale, spinach, chard, arugula). Lavash flatbread with edamame, red onion, cucumber, tomato, asparagus, mushrooms, beets, cashew mayo, mustard. Blackberries.

Dinner - An artichoke and mixed greens with “Tuna-ish salad” (from a WFPB meal prep service - made with beans and veggies) and two “Not-a-Cookies” (made with oats and dates and sunflower seeds and good things like that).

• Like 2

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with ayocote morado beans, pineapple, pomegranate, pear, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, banana, plum, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big mixing bowl salad (kale, spinach, baby bok choy, tofu, cauliflower, yellow wax beans, radishes, cucamelons, tomatoes, mushrooms, scallions, Japanese sweet potato, edamame, carrot, red pepper, mixed raw nuts, hemp, papaya, WFPB 1000 Island dressing.

Dinner - Lavash flatbread wraps with veggie loaf (made from oats, chickpeas, veggies) with cashew mayo, mustard, bbq sauce, pickles, scallions, broccoli microgreens, seaweed sprinkles. 

Dessert will be vanilla macadamia nice cream with cacao nib sprinkles.

• Like 2

16 rainbow  🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, raspberry coconut yogurt, 

lunch- bowl of vegetable soup (tomato, onion, carrot, zucchini, corn, lima beans, kale), small bag of salt and vinegar chips 

dinner- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate with cherries 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

More super-sleepy meds all weekend, so I'm in a fog. I not sure I'll remember Sat/Sun accurately, but can simply say I did really well with portion control and eating simple food. My tum is upset a lot from all the painkillers, which is a big deterrent to eating a lot or eating unhealthy foods. I did also have some dark chocolate both days. 

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with vaquero beans, pomegranate, passion fruit, banana, kiwi, plum, blueberries, pineapple, apple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big salad with lettuces, radicchio, borlotti beans, tomato, cucamelons, radishes, red onion, carrot, red pepper, yellow wax beans, Japanese sweet potato, mixed raw nuts, hemp, WFPB 1000 Island.

Dinner - Tacos (corn tortillas, brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, spinach, mushrooms, guacamole, cashew sour cream, salsa,  scallions, shredded cabbage, cilantro). Also an artichoke.

• Like 2

17 rainbow   🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions and mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple, pears

snack- another mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears  

dinner- lemon chicken, black beans, brown rice, corn, carrots, asparagus; kale salad with sunflower seeds, marinated tomatoes, chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with soybeans, blueberries, pomegranate, strawberries, passion fruit, pineapple, kiwi, mango, banana, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (lettuces and radicchio) with a diced green Actual Veggies burger (spinach-kale-broccoli), tomato, cucamelons, scallions, yellow wax beans, guacamole.

Dinner - An artichoke. Butternut & mushroom ravioli with marinara and steamed veggies (spinach, mushrooms, snap peas, corn, water chestnuts, carrots).

• Like 1

18 rainbow   🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions and mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese

snack-  mixed fruit cup with peach, pineapple and pears  , almond butter and chocolate squares 

dinner- smothered pork chops with gf mushroom gravy ; kale salad with sunflower seeds, marinated tomatoes, yams 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Broccoli microgreens. Muesli with adzuki beans, passion fruit, pomegranate, blueberries, strawberries, apple, pear, kiwi, banana, mango, plum, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (kale, lettuces, arugula). Lavash flatbread with roasted eggplant, tomato, red onion, cucamelon, cashew mayo, sriracha.

Dinner - It was clean out the fridge night, and I threw tacos together with various leftovers. Corn tortillas, brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, borlotti beans, spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, kale, tofu, sweet potatoes, guacamole, cashew sour cream, salsa, scallions, jalapeños, shredded cabbage, cilantro.

• Like 2

19 rainbow   🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions and mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares with raspberries 

snack-  goat cheese with apricot and mango 

dinner- leftover brown rice with corn, carrots, leftover lemon chicken with black beans 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday

Weird mealtimes today because I slept long. I met someone at a bakery and thought the place would have actual food, but it just had little desserts.

Breakfast--banana and a gf, df peanutbutter-chocolate bar, tea (S)

Lunch--rice noodles and a clementine, also tea (NS)

Dinner--chicken sausage with onions and peppers, also some coleslaw

Snack--Dh bought me a date-walnut bar (consisting of dates and walnuts and not much else, no sugar). I mused out loud that it tasted kind of caramelish and that it might taste like a Snickers bar if it had chocolate. When I returned from my mid-day get-together, dh had cubed the bar and dipped the pieces in dark chocolate. Delicious! So rich I could hardly stand it, so I had just a few small cubes with tons leftover for another day. I really love it when something healthy/natural tastes like a luxurious treat.

• Like 2

20 rainbow    🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions and mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares with cherries 

snack-  goat cheese with apricot and mango 

dinner- grilled salmon with pineapple, kale salad, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, brown rice 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, kiwi, pineapple, cantaloupe, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, mango, plum, apple, pomegranate, passion fruit, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (kale, lettuces, frisee). Whole wheat pita pocket with chickpea salad (chickpeas, onion, pickles, cashew mayo, spices).

Dinner - Creamy southwestern soup (leftovers from the freezer) - pinto & cannellini beans, potatoes, tomatoes, jalapeños, garlic, onion, celery, corn, spices, cashew cream, mushrooms, kale. I added some spinach and mushroom gnocchi. Also had an artichoke.

• Like 2