Menu

August Healthy Eating

Selkie

Monday 

fasted through breakfast 

lunch- chipotle steak salad. I’m addicted:)lettuce, steak, beans, peppers, onions, fresh tomato salsa 

dinner- half apple with peanut butter before pickleball 

after- some nuts and a glass of wine 

My only real august food goal right now is just to continue the plant variety and try to drink more water and less wine:) 

• Like 2

I think I should get a standing ovation for today.

We are hosting two foster boys for just a few days for respite care. They are energetic, to say the least. We went to the zoo.

Breakfast--low sugar granola with oatmilk

Lunch--lettuce wraps with lunchmeat, leftover "natural" breakfast sausage, apple

Snack--Okay, we did run through a drive-through for french fries. But the rest of the day was so stellar and the boys really needed SOMETHING IMMEDIATELY, lol. 

Dinner--Pizza tacos (my quick-and-dirty way to make dairy free pizza with corn tortillas): corn tortillas with a smear of Kite Hill df cream cheese topped with a bit of sauce, onion, mushroom, peppers, sausage, pepperoni; also had watermelon

• Like 3

Monday-

breakfast-  keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares 

snack- apple with goat cheddar 

dinner-  beef stir fry (onions, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, thin sliced beef). 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Monday - 

Breakfast - Daikon and broccoli microgreens. Muesli with adzuki beans, pineapple, apple, blueberries, guava, cherry cots, nectarine, banana, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Colander of greens (spring mix, plus romaine, collards, red kale, and arugula). Cucumber and tomato sandwich on lavash flatbread with WFPB 1000 Island, sriracha, and red onions. 

Dinner - Steamed artichoke with Greek vinaigrette dipping sauce. Tacos (corn tortillas, brown rice, lentils, pinto beans, black beans, corn, spinach, mushrooms, red onion, guacamole, cilantro). Vanilla walnut nice cream with cacao nibs sprinkles.

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Daikon and kale microgreens. Muesli with scarlet runner beans, banana, pineapple, guava, nectarine, cherrycots, apple, blueberries, kiwi, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Colander of baby greens (lettuces, kale, chard, spinach, tatsoi). My favorite summer sandwich for lunch again - lavash flatbread with cashew mayo, sriracha, cucumber, tomato, red onion. Tomorrow I have to remember to include some fresh basil. Two mandarins.

Dinner - A beet/red onion/carrot veggie burger with pickles, scallions, and spring mix. Steamed artichokes, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts. Cherries for dessert.

• Like 3

Tuesday-

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares 

snack- apple with goat cheese slices 

dinner- broiled chicken with sugar free bbq sauce, roasted vegetables (cauliflower, bell peppers, zucchini, onions,broccoli, yellow squash, carrots)

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

Tuesday 

breakfast- triple berries with flax seed, chia seed, cinnamon and walnuts. Manchego, cashews 

lunch- Greek salad- butter lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, red onion, feta, chicken, red wine vinaigrette, pistachios, dark chocolate. 

dinner- we went out and had a very disappointing Caesar salad and steak tips with blue cheese. But your setting was pretty and the wine was good:) 

I’ve added on to my august goal- I’m going to try at least one new healthy recipe every week. Preferably with some healthy spices. 

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, cherrycots, nectarine, banana, guava, kiwi, apple, pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Colander of greens (spring mix, bok choy, romaine). Cucumber and tomato sandwich on lavash flatbread with cashew mayo, sriracha, scallions, fresh basil & dill.

Dinner - Steamed artichoke with Greek vinaigrette dipping sauce (we are on an artichoke kick lately!). Leftover tacos - corn tortillas, brown rice, lentils, black beans, pinto beans, corn, spinach, roasted mushrooms, guacamole, scallions, cilantro, salsa. Cherries for dessert.

• Like 2

Wednesday -

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares 

snack- flaxseed brownie bite with goat cheese slices 

dinner- broiled chicken with sugar free bbq sauce, roasted vegetables (cauliflower, bell peppers, zucchini, onions,broccoli, yellow squash, carrots)

hard boiled eggs

• Like 2

Okay, I get a double standing ovation today. These boys are running me ragged.

Breakfast--Homemade gf chicken nuggets, banana. (I flipped lunch and breakfast today.)

Lunch--Oat bran muffins and an unfortunate Coke for the caffeine content.

Dinner--Chicken street tacos, grapes, cherries

Also tea. Thank God.

• Like 2

I'm using the Eat the Rainbow app to try to get a good variety of fruits and vegetables each day. I tend to lack the blues and purples, so I bought some blueberries and plums. I did score a rainbow yesterday.

I'm also using the Veggie Love challenge in Habitica mostly to try to not dislike bell peppers so much.

Lunch today will be a salad and French fries. 😁 Dinner is veggie fried rice.

Edited by 73349
  • Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with adzuki beans, banana, nectarine, kiwi, blueberries, apple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens (kale, arugula, chard). Beet/red onion/carrot veggie burger patty with avocado, cashew mayo, and mustard. Cherry tomatoes and a few leftover sweet potato oven fries.

Dinner - Buffalo chili from Monkey and Me (buffalo flavor, not buffalo the animal). This is a great favorite of ours and has lots of good stuff like lentils, beans (I used cannellini and butter beans), onion, celery, garlic, cashew cream, loads of spices. I threw in some extras, like edamame, wild mushrooms, and spinach. Also had steamed sweet corn, broccoli, and cauliflower.

• Like 2

Thursday -

lunch- scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese, chocolate squares 

snack- apple with cheese slices 

dinner- Southwestern skillet (ground beef, corn, black beans, bell peppers, onions, vegan Mexican “cheese “), blue corn tortilla chips, vegan “sour cream “

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with scarlet runner beans, apple, pear, guava, banana, mango, kiwi, nectarine, plum, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big bowl of greens (baby lettuces, kale, chicory). Cucumber and tomato sandwich on lavash flatbread with cashew mayo and sriracha. Watermelon.

Dinner - Leftover chili, an artichoke, an ear of corn, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, a whole grain bagel.

• Like 2

Friday -

snack- blue corn tortilla chips, cheese 

dinner- scrambled eggs, chopped sirloin, a couple of bites of the crunchy bits of hash browns, gf toast. 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Friday 

fasted through breakfast 

lunch- chipotle salad 🙂 

then we were going to just play pickleball for a short time and check out DH’s new racquet, but we ended up being there for 3 1/2 hours and I was hungry so I had 1/2 cliff bar 

when we got home I had a slice of sprouted bread with peanut butter and cacao nibs. 

• Like 4

Friday

Breakfast--low-sugar granola

Lunch--Chicken street tacos on corn tortillas, cherries

Dinner--steak, potato, red pepper strips, small salad

Saturday

Breakfast--2 eggs, 2 bananas

Lunch--Bippibop (about half of the bowl), vegetarian mix, hibiscus tea (I like to think that, being tea, it's healthier, but the likelihood is that the Bippibop tea is heavily sugared, alas)

Dinner--Vegetarian pizza on a cauliflower crust, no cheese, salad, fruit

• Like 3

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with scarlet runner beans, banana, apple, pear, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, nectarine, mango, cherries, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big bowl of greens (lettuces, radicchio, kale, arugula). Tomato and roasted mushroom sandwich on lavash flatbread with mustard and fresh basil & dill. An orange.

Dinner - Veggie sushi (nori, crispy tofu, avocado, brown rice, scallions, cucumber, shredded red cabbage, panko, sesame seeds) with cashew sriracha mayo and wasabi.

Dessert - A WFPB meal prep service sent us a box of freshly baked cookies as a freebie, and I had two of them. No oil, dates as a sweetener, and yummy ingredients like sunflower seeds, oats, chickpea & almond flour, walnuts, spices. 

• Like 4

Saturday-

snack- blue corn tortilla chips and goat cheese 

dinner- chicken thigh with sugar free bbq sauce, roasted carrots, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 4

July was too busy and stressful and I let habits slip. Stress has gone down (please let it stay down) and I'm ready for a reset. Breakfast is usually decent. I know I feel crappy if they are too many carbs or too much junk and have simple things that are quick. Lunch goes well when it's prepped. It is hit or miss if I'm relying on whatever leftovers are around and am in a hurry. I aim for dinners to be homemade-- the family doesn't care for the range of veggies that I do so they are not optimal by my standards but if the rest of my day is good I'm ok with that. 

So-- this month the focus is--- back in the habit of a weekly/bi-weekly lunch prep and making batches of healthier snacks so I don't end up starving and grabbing whatever. 

prep plans: thai peanut veggie quinoa salad w/ crispy baked tofu; homemade protein bars

b: nf plain greek yogurt w/ homemade muesli and fruit- soy milk 

depending on how much work we do outside if I get a workout--- might do eggs w/ greens, turkey bacon and gf toast afterwards

lunch: thai peanut veggie quinoa salad w/ baked tofu

snack: homemade protein bar; rice cakes

dinner: chicken shwarma; roasted spiced Japanese sweet potato; simple salad

• Like 3

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with pigeon peas, kiwi, pluot, nectarine, apple, pear, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big bowl of greens (lettuces, kale, chard, spinach, tatsoi). Veggie sandwich on lavash flatbread (tomato & radish slices, roasted mushrooms, shredded red cabbage, pickles, cashew mayo, mustard). An orange.

Dinner - Leftover veggie/tofu sushi. Cherries for dessert.

• Like 2

Sunday -

today wasn’t the best day and I did use food to soothe me to some extent. I don’t think that I am going to beat myself up for that. 

a snack bag of Cheetos around 11:30

lunch- cup of vegetable soup (Beans, carrots, celery, corn, mushrooms, onions, peppers, potatoes and zucchini in a light tomato broth), half apple walnut salad ( All-natural grilled chicken breast, crumbled blue cheese, grapes, apples, dried cranberries and candied walnuts, served on a bed of greens), root beer 

snack- chocolate covered dried mango slices 

dinner- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, goat cheese 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 3

@Jean in Newcastle still looks like a good day! 

Sunday 

breakfast- salad with romaine, onions, peppers, cucumber, tomato, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, feta, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Strawberries, walnuts and cacao nibs 

lunch- chicken, black beans, fajita veggies, a couple tortilla chips, 2 Hershey kisses

dinner- grilled chicken, squash, zucchini, peppers, corn

post pickleball - glass of wine and handful of goldfish 

• Like 4

Lunch prepped for this week.

b/pre-workout: nf greek yogurt/berries/soy milk/homemade muesli 

after workout: egg+ egg white/greens/turkey bacon/gf toast- smear of nat pb

lunch: thai salad-- mixed whole sprouted grains (out of quinoa)- edamame- asstd veggies-- baked tofu-- homemade peanut dressing- apple+ grapes

snack: protein bar

dinner: chicken breast/gf whole grain pasta/broccoli/chard/tomatoes/feta

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Sunday -

today wasn’t the best day and I did use food to soothe me to some extent. I don’t think that I am going to beat myself up for that. 

Aww, Jean, I'm sorry you had a rough day. Warm hugs for you and a prayer right now for peace in whatever was tough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Monday - 

Breakfast - Kale, broccoli, and daikon microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, banana, pluot, nectarine, blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe, kiwi, apple, pear, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, hazelnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Colander of greens ( a head of butter lettuce plus arugula). Beet/carrot/red onion veggie burger on flatbread with avocado, red onion, jalapeño, tomato, red cabbage, cashew mayo, sriracha. Cherries and a G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Chickpea salad on sourdough rolls, WFPB baked beans, and a salad (spinach, arugula, cauliflower, carrots, red bell pepper, olives, WFPB ranch).

• Like 4

I've been almost entirely vegetarian the last few days (aside from 2 eggs a couple days ago) and it's going better than expected. We have an international student with us for just a few days before his apartment is settled, so we joined in his vegetarian diet. I thought I would be shaky-hungry, but I'm really not. 

Monday

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with oatmilk, banana

Lunch--3 small triangles of gf cauliflower flatbread with veg topping, cherries, leftover gnocchi with tomato sauce and fresh basil. 

Snack--Cauliflower crackers, chocolate

Dinner--Mediterranean bowl: quinoa, cucumber, tomato, red onion, parsley-mint mixture, lemon, hummus, chickpeas, tahini sauce

• Like 4

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with scarlet runner beans, mango, kiwi, banana, apple, pear, blueberries, pineapple, strawberries, cantaloupe, nectarine, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, macadamias, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big bowl of greens (kale, lettuces, chard, arugula). Veggie sandwich on lavash flatbread (tomato, cucumber, jalapeños, red onions, yellow bell pepper, cashew mayo, sriracha).

Dinner - I made Monkey and Me’s mushroom and vegetable stew - so great. I doubled the mushrooms and used a mix (lion’s mane, shiitake, oyster, cremini). Other ingredients included lentils, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potato, green peas, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, spices. Oh, and I added spinach. Made quinoa flatbreads, too. Cherries for dessert.

• Like 2

Tuesday-

dinner- thin sliced beef, onions, mushrooms, zucchini and carrots in ginger teriyaki sauce, chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Tuesday - fasted through breakfast 

lunch- huge salad 🙂 greens, microgreens, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, peppers, tomatoes, feta, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Strawberries, walnuts, cashews, dark chocolate, piece of bacon. 

dinner- leftover vegan curry with peppers, carrots, cauliflower, garbanzo, coconut milk. Cashews, dark chocolate 

• Like 3

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with soybeans, plum, banana, nectarine, kiwi, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, apple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pecans, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big bowl of greens (kale, arugula, lettuces). Veggie sandwich (lavash flatbread, zucchini, carrot, tomato, red bell pepper, red onion, cauliflower, cashew mayo, sriracha).

Dinner - Leftover mushroom vegetable stew and quinoa flatbreads.

• Like 3

Thursday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens. Muesli with vaquero beans, banana, cantaloupe, apple, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, nectarine, plum, kiwi, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big bowl of greens (lettuces, kale, arugula). Veggie sandwich on lavash flatbread with tofu, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, tomato, red onion, carrot, basil, cashew mayo, sriracha.

Dinner - Two artichokes with Greek vinaigrette dipping sauce, leftover mushroom vegetable stew, and a whole grain bagel.

• Like 1

Thursday-

breakfast-  keto Blueberry coconut nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth 

snack- one spoonful of almond butter 

dinner- rotisserie chicken, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, deviled egg potato salad, chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 1

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with pigeon peas, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, banana, kiwi, nectarine, plum, apple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Big bowl of greens (lettuces, radicchio, arugula). Whole wheat pita pocket with cucumber, tomato, scallions, cashew mayo, mustard. Cherries.

Dinner - Two steamed artichokes with Greek vinaigrette dipping sauce. Whole grain bagel with chickpea salad and olives. A piece of veggie loaf (from a WFPB meal service - made of oats, chickpeas, assorted veggies).

Nice cream for dessert - chocolate hazelnut.

• Like 1

Thursday 

breakfast- handful cashews 

lunch- chicken in chili sauce with coconut flakes, truffle fries, Caesar salad 

dinner - chicken green beans 

Friday- breakfast- toast with peanut butter and cacao nibs 

lunch - chipotle chicken salad with some tortilla chips 

dinner- salad, green beans, broccoli, rosemary potatoes, pork tenderloin, bread with butter. 

• Like 2