Menu

switching cell phone carrier and getting new phones

ProudGrandma

We are switching our cell service to Verizon and we are getting new phones.  The rep we are working with recommended the following phones and I was curious if anybody here has had any experience with these phones. 

Samsumg Galaxy s22 

Google Pixal 6a (this one is a brand new phone just released, so I doubt anybody has used it..but has anybody here used a google phone?)  

The google phone is for our 3 college kids and the samsung is for my husband and myself.  

We are meeting with our Verizon rep tomorrow morning to get set up. 

thanks for your thoughts and opinions. 

I had a Samsung and was happy with it, but it got too old to support some apps and wasn't 5G compatible. Last December I switched to a Pixel 6. It is fine. I don't ask much from my phones. My one complaint is that compared to my old Samsung this phone is noticeably heavier.

2 minutes ago, SusanC said:

I had a Samsung and was happy with it, but it got too old to support some apps and wasn't 5G compatible. Last December I switched to a Pixel 6. It is fine. I don't ask much from my phones. My one complaint is that compared to my old Samsung this phone is noticeably heavier.

heavier, huh...that is interesting...I will check that out.  thanks.   Our Samsung will be 5G...but we live in rural America and rarely go to where 5G is available...so I am not worried at this point, anyway....

Yes, I picked up my Samsung at one point during the transition and just about whacked myself in the forehead because it was so much lighter. 😀

I didn't want to switch, but the carrier was not going to support any phones that were not 5G compatible.

Camera quality is not on my radar, but I am clearly in the minority on this - even at home.

I've always had Motorola phones before and the last time I switched to a Samsung. The bloatware on this thing is amazing. I had to spend a lot of time to figure out how to disable several of their apps if I wanted to use my own calendar app, browser, etc. It's been a major pain - but that is mostly over now (except if you ever click on a link to a webpage, it still wants you to use the default Samsung browser, which I do not want to use).  Also - this thing has had more updates than all my other phones combined! I have a limited data plan and left the house one day while it was updating (didn't realize) and it used all my data for the month on a very large update. That was a nasty surprise, but I think maybe I've set things so that won't happen again. 

So, if you are switching to Samsung, just be aware that it may take longer than you expect to get that phone set up the way you like it (if you are picky about apps) unless you are happy to immediately start using all Samsung basic apps. 

I have the Pixel 6. I like it in general but it's a major upgrade from my last phone. My complaint though is the camera sticks out so the back of the phone isn't smooth. I cracked that back part about a week into owning my phone. So I would absolutely suggest getting a case for that phone. I'm tough on my phones because 2 little kids and it's me. I love the wireless charging.

30 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I love the wireless charging.

What??? I should investigate this! It reminds me, though, that i was surprised that my fancy Pixel phone did not come with a charging plug. That makes no sense at that price point. It should come with all the things!

I did get a case that smooths out the back by putting a card holder under the camera that holds my license and a credit card. Now instead of carrying my purse i carry my phone and leave any other important items in the car (like insurance cards which i never remember when I take somebody to the doctor but now i just have to backtrack to the parking lot) It isn't a great system, but I'm giving it an extended try.

I have the Google Pixel 5a and I LOVE IT!  It was a definite upgrade for me, I've been super happy with it.  I wanted a nicer camera without breaking the bank.  I did buy one of the soft cases google sells for it.  

Be aware that lots of people are having problems with Verizon and their credits for old phones.   We bought a new phone with a promotion of trading in our old 1 and getting a $400 credit to our bill over the time of a contract.  We are a couple of months in and it hasn't shown up yet.  Read online and lots  of people have are months or years in and haven't gotten it.  They say it takes a couple of months to show up so we will see if it happens, we have talked to Verizon on the phone about it a couple of times already.

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

What??? I should investigate this! It reminds me, though, that i was surprised that my fancy Pixel phone did not come with a charging plug. That makes no sense at that price point. It should come with all the things!

I absolutely agree. (I even more so agree because I once designed those for a living.) I suppose it's better for the environment for them not to, but they should not be over $20 (not saying that exists just my 2 cents). 

I got this thing

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM8R7J1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

along with a generic USB charger (apparently the random one I got doesn't exist anymore). It's just a charger with 6 USB ports on it,

I just picked the things that were the cheapest that I liked the best (flat vs. a stand, aesthetics).

• Thanks 1

Just now, SusanC said:

Do you think my case will inhibit charging? Maybe I can set the phone face down?

My lesser case doesn't, but yours sounds like it has more going on than mine. See if any of the reviews or questions talk about it. 

• Like 1

My 24 year old has a Galaxy 21, and my 20 year old has a Pixel 6.  They have been using them for at least 6 months, and are both happy with them.

We just switched from Tracfone to Mint, and upgraded from Galaxy S7 to Pixel 4a.  It's a nice upgrade that didn't cost a fortune, and now we can use wifi calling/texting and international data roaming.

Edited by Amy in NH