Menu

visit new orleans?

ktgrok

DH and I are contemplating our very first adults only trip in probably a decade. We are thinking New Orleans would be fun - I find the cultural aspects fascinating, plus am a southern girl at heart, he likes browsing shops and downtown type areas,  and we would both enjoy graveyard tours, ghost tours, etc. Plus food!

Is there a best time of year to go? I'm guessing not summer, and not around Mardi Gras, but otherwise?

• Like 1

We’ve been twice in early April and both times the weather was excellent. After Mardi Gras and before summer crowds.  My friend recommends late September/early October  and we’re thinking of  trying that this year- hope it’s as nice. 
But do check for festivals - the first time we were there a big festival ended the night before we arrived and the streets were still quite littered the next morning. I was so glad we missed those crowds. 

Edited by Annie G

Yes, New Orleans weather is basically Orlando weather, with not-quite-as-many summer thunderstorms in the afternoon. 

When you are checking dates and festivals, I can let you know where the festival is in relation to where you're staying. Or, if you enjoy festivals, that same information is helpful (can you walk to fest, etc.). 

I live 15 minutes from almost every part of the city, ask me anything. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

Yes, New Orleans weather is basically Orlando weather, with not-quite-as-many summer thunderstorms in the afternoon. 

When you are checking dates and festivals, I can let you know where the festival is in relation to where you're staying. Or, if you enjoy festivals, that same information is helpful (can you walk to fest, etc.). 

I live 15 minutes from almost every part of the city, ask me anything. 

Oh, wonderful! the only other person I know that I could contact had a sister that went to college there in the 1990s, lol. Not exactly up to date info, or even first hand. 

We just came up with the idea today, but we'd be likely looking for a Marriot property, as my husband works for Marriot World Vacations and gets a significant discount. Although an quaint or interesting but affordable bed and breakfast type place would be super fun, and I'm not ruling it out. 

Neither of us have been, but I've read a ton of books set there, lol. Closest I've come is attending a crawfish boil at a veterinarian's house here in Florida, where the crawfish were special ordered and flown in live from Louisiana, lol. It was spicier than I like, but I found beer fixed that right up....and ended up more than a little tipsy.

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Closest I've come is attending a crawfish boil at a veterinarian's house here in Florida, where the crawfish were special ordered and flown in live from Louisiana, lol. It was spicier than I like, but I found beer fixed that right up....and ended up more than a little tipsy.

You’re fully prepared to enjoy the French Quarter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Annie G said:

You’re fully prepared to enjoy the French Quarter!

I remember (drunkenly) saying, "THIS is why people get drunk there! It's because beer works to cut the burn in your mouth better than water or soda!"

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

We just came up with the idea today, but we'd be likely looking for a Marriot property, as my husband works for Marriot World Vacations and gets a significant discount. Although an quaint or interesting but affordable bed and breakfast type place would be super fun, and I'm not ruling it out. 

Neither of us have been, but I've read a ton of books set there, lol. Closest I've come is attending a crawfish boil at a veterinarian's house here in Florida, where the crawfish were special ordered and flown in live from Louisiana, lol. It was spicier than I like, but I found beer fixed that right up....and ended up more than a little tipsy.

If you want crawfish, the season is in the spring (April and May in Houston, you'll have to check to make sure it's the same in NOLA).

We stayed at this Courtyard and I'd recommend it.:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/msycn-courtyard-new-orleans-downtown-convention-center/overview/

It's an easy walk to the French Quarter. It's also near the Convention Center, so it may be full.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

DON’T DO IT 

people are saying it’s more dangerous than ever. Car jackings in the daytime. My friend went a few months ago and has no plans to return anytime soon.

but if you must go, I’d limit any nighttime outings. 

Ds1 is going with a bunch of friends this weekend for a bachelor/bachelorette party.  I think they will be okay in a big group?  I didn't realize there was so much crime there.

Just now, Kassia said:

Ds1 is going with a bunch of friends this weekend for a bachelor/bachelorette party.  I think they will be okay in a big group?  I didn't realize there was so much crime there.

We didn’t call it murder capital for nothing. It’s increasingly gotten worse. I went before Hurricane Katrina occasionally with friends (to dance at a club or see a band at the House of Blues) but after a time the parking situation got more sketchy and I’d never park now where I used to. Many years ago a guy my ex spouse knew was murdered walking his dog. It was an odd time of night but still. Yes they need to stay in groups and I would urge at least one person to remain sober. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

DON’T DO IT 

people are saying it’s more dangerous than ever. Car jackings in the daytime. My friend went a few months ago and has no plans to return anytime soon.

but if you must go, I’d limit any nighttime outings. 

Crime stats don't look that much worse than Orlando, where I am, but thank you for the warning.