Menu

Science Picture Books

I was looking at Give Your Child the World as a resource book to help with finding good picture books for social studies or geography.  Does anyone know of a similar book for science?  That might list great picture books on various science topics?  I want to use the summer to collect some books for next year,  and was hoping someone might know of a book or list that would make a good starting spot.

Take a look at the following:

Let’s Read and Find Out-  series of pictures that explain and explore science topics. Excellent for k-2 

David Macaulay - had written and illustrated many science and architecture oriented picture books. 

Holling C. Holling - wrote and illustrated a number of science and geography oriented picture books

Gail gibbons - science picture books for elementary

Seymour Simon - science books with real photographs

seriously, with those series and authors you will cover a ton of science

• Like 4

There are graphic novels (comic books) that cover science topics.  I can't remember any series titles at the moment.  We found them at the public library.  A good option for a slightly older kid (upper elementary) who is otherwise not interested in science.

1 hour ago, smfmommy said:

There are graphic novels (comic books) that cover science topics.  I can't remember any series titles at the moment.  We found them at the public library.  A good option for a slightly older kid (upper elementary) who is otherwise not interested in science.

Are you thinking of Max Axiom?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=max+axiom+graphic+novel&crid=15YNRZOE58LBX&sprefix=max+axiom+graphic+novel%2Caps%2C71&ref=nb_sb_noss

On 5/26/2022 at 12:26 PM, NorthernBeth said:

picture books

https://hub.lexile.com  I've gotten a lot of mileage with the lexile engine here. You can filter by lexile level then genre, etc. Also I get ideas at WeAreTeachers.com with lists like https://www.weareteachers.com/best-3rd-grade-books/  I'm on a FB group for "classroom book a day" and the teachers there will share lists. There are teachers there doing a picture book a day even with 7th graders! Lots of great ideas and they usually hit a range of topics. Sometimes I'll look for SEL lists, etc. 

For history books, sometimes it's easier just to hit the shelves at the library. 

• Like 1

I used Blossom and Root year 1 science this year, which was Earth Science. The curriculum listed SO MANY excellent topical picture books. You would have to buy the science curriculum for the full list. Other science years have different topics.

• Like 1