Menu

Grammar for 5th grade

Janeway

Daughter will be doing IEW in an outsourced class. She has declared that she does NOT want to do TGTB anymore. With my older children, I did BJU English, but my daughter, who already used that for one level, has said she does not want that either.  I wonder if Fix It grammar would be enough and/or what else I should consider?

So far IEW and Fix It! are all we've done. I admit it is light but it's good enough for me so far. It also reinforces content and skills learned in IEW and has helped to lay great foundations in writing and grammar. For 6th grade this upcoming year we are branching out with Cover Story and Our Mother Tongue, because I think a deep dive in grammar will be good. I plan to continue with Fix It! afterward.

I have a rising 5th grader, too.  We did Latin this year, so we were able to get away with a lighter grammar curriculum. We plan to continue with Latin, but I will likely switch to something fuller.  I've heard very good things about Rod & Staff, but I have also decided to look at Michael Clay Thompson.  Likely if we go that route, I will choose the Town level.  I am undecided on everything, though.  

What are you planning to use in 6th?  I plan to use Analytical Grammar starting in 6th.  I felt like DS was nearly prepared for it this year in 5th, so we used Grammarland for a basic review, some of Maxwell's Elementary Grammar, Analytical Grammar Jr Mechanics, and the first few lessons of Grammar of Poetry. I would evaluate where your daughter is and where you want her to be for 6th. Maybe you just need some basic review or maybe you need a full grammar. I kind of felt like 5th was a weird in between year-not elementary, not middle school.