Menu

Geography

I am trying to find a geography workbook geared toward an older child (upper middle to lower high) that would help remediate map skills and basic geographical knowledge.  The only thing that I have found that is anything like what I'm thinking is Legends and Leagues, but I know that is geared toward elementary.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thanks!

Possibly the Carson Dellosa Discovering Geography workbook series; they cover a variety of Geography topics, and not just map skills, and include interpreting charts and graphs; a fair amount of reading and thinking skills for these:
grades 5-6
grades 6-7
grades 7-8

Or possibly:
- Mark Twain Media: Map Reading Skills workbook (gr. 5-8)
- Remedia Publications: Map Skills workbook (gr. 4-8)
Daily Skill Builders: World Geography (middle grades and up)
- Teachers Pay Teachers: Geography, Map Skills Bundle for Middle School & High School (gr. 6-12)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Thirding Memoria Press Geography. Books 1-2 are studying countries. Book 3 is more general topics. Supposedly it includes options to make it equal a high school credit-worthy course.

My kids haven't done Book 3 yet so no personal experience there. We have done all the others- review books included. Scroll down just a smidge on this link to see.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/american-and-modern-studies/

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes. Reading a map includes the skills of:
- understanding the legend or key
- compass rose/direction
- measuring/scale of distance
- critical thinking skill of translating the flat 2-D map into what it means for navigating the 3-D world
- etc.

Yes, those tend to be the major skills practiced in a Map Skills workbook.

But U.S. Map Skills workbooks tend often use maps and map reading as a way of practicing other skills and basic analysis/comparison thinking questions, esp. at the upper elementary/middle school level. (Check out the links in my previous post to the Discovering Geography gr. 6/7 or gr. 7/8 book to see the table of contents and sample pages of the type of additional thinking skills.)

Map Skills workbooks also tend to include some additional topics, such as:
- hemispheres and continents
- map projections, globes, latitude/longitude
- cartography, and overview of the history of mapmaking
- working with different types of maps (beyond just roadmaps or a map of the zoo -- political; physical; topographical; climatic; economic/resource
- sometimes broader skills of reading/using graphs and charts
- sometimes inclusion of, and using maps to work with info on Social Studies areas that overlap with geography, such as history/culture, geographic biomes, etc.

So Map Skills is a bit of a "catch-all" subject for practicing not only map reading, but some critical thinking/analysis, using the map reading as the thread to draw it together.

Edited by Lori D.

• 1 month later...