Menu

World Religions curriculum?

Night Elf

I read through some of the thread about the OP's dd asking about why people weren't Christians. I think that is what she said. That got me to wondering, is there a world religions curriculum somewhere that does justice to all religions? I realize it's going to be a subjective thing, but I took a beginning religions course in college many decades ago and remember thinking it fascinating. I am asking about a curriculum because I'm envisioning a theme of books, like one explaining each religion and/or maybe one or more comparing them. 

Suggestions? or if not a curriculum, book suggestions? 

Doesn't Sonlight's high school courses include Bible studies that incorporate other ideas with the hope of strengthening their own faith?

Build your Library does. Or there is an Usborne book of World Religion. I want to say Oak Meadow might have one. Or for an older student many community colleges have an Intro to World Religion course. I bet there are even some free online courses through edX or what not. 

Last year my son did a class at home on Cultural geo and world religions.

We used "World Religions: A voyage of discovery" by St. Mary's press. It's a Catholic resource.  We are not Catholic. I found it was pretty even handed but I did have some differences with how they presented some of the Christianity section (not totally surprising since we aren't Catholic).  

To learn more about the Muslim faith as it compares to Christianity, we read through sections of this workbook I picked up at church a long time ago:  https://www.amazon.com/DARE-EXPLORE-Samya-Johnson/dp/1613797486  

Build Your Library. I have Levels 4 and 7. It looks like Level 7 has the Usborne World Religions book and creation stories. I guess that's a good place to start. I wasn't going to start BYL for a few weeks, so I'll hang tight and check out the Dummies books in the meantime. 

5 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Last year my son did a class at home on Cultural geo and world religions.

We used "World Religions: A voyage of discovery" by St. Mary's press. It's a Catholic resource.  We are not Catholic. I found it was pretty even handed but I did have some differences with how they presented some of the Christianity section (not totally surprising since we aren't Catholic).  

To learn more about the Muslim faith as it compares to Christianity, we read through sections of this workbook I picked up at church a long time ago:  https://www.amazon.com/DARE-EXPLORE-Samya-Johnson/dp/1613797486  

Thank you. I"ll take a look.