Menu

Dictation in first grade?

Janeway

I am using Spelling Workout A, OPGTR, and TGTB LA1 with my 1st grader. In today's lesson, which he is only at the beginning of level 1, I was supposed to dictate "Beth Cox has five forks." to him. 

Is this something a 1st grader should be able to do? 

37 minutes ago, Janeway said:

I am using Spelling Workout A, OPGTR, and TGTB LA1 with my 1st grader. In today's lesson, which he is only at the beginning of level 1, I was supposed to dictate "Beth Cox has five forks." to him. 

Is this something a 1st grader should be able to do? 

Does he know how to write all of those words? And use capital letters for proper nouns, and use end punctuation? If not, then that isn't appropriate for *him.*

My first dc went to a Christian school for 1st grade, at a school that used all ABeka. I withdrew her at Easter because she was completely burned out. Yes, she would have been able to do that, I think. But notice I said she was burned out. My second dd would not have been able to do it, because I came to believe in not doing early formal education.

DS12 started dictation in 2nd (he was in public school in 1st).

DS9 refused to do any 'school' writing in 1st grade at all, so no dictation until 3rd grade.

DS7, in first grade, did dictation orally - I repeated the sentence several times, and he repeated it back to me. That's how we started 2nd grade this year as well, and now he's up to writing a dictation of 4-6 short words. Today, he repeated back the two sentence dictation, but only wrote the first four words (including a direct quotation and all relevant punctuation). He started the year with me scribing almost all his work and has moved to doing *almost* all of it himself, so this is big for him!

Edited by Noreen Claire
typos
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Does he know how to write all of those words? And use capital letters for proper nouns, and use end punctuation? If not, then that isn't appropriate for *him.*

He cannot. He knows how to write his letters, but he cannot spell some of those words. He also doesn’t know the mechanics of grammar or even to space the words. I don’t think we have even covered X in phonics yet let alone spelling. The phonics lessons in the book are fine and appropriate, but then there are dictations like this and I feel like maybe I need to shelve this book for a while. It has not even covered the mechanics yet, but then had the dictation. This doesn’t seem right.

Yeah, no.  We started cold dictation partway through 1st, I want to say, and did super easy things from Dictation Day By Day.  "See my doll." was literally the first exercise, and each of those words were written out before he wrote them because they were all new.  After that, every new word was written to show spelling and he was expected to work on remembering the previous ones.  "See my new doll." the next day would have only "new" written out.

Before that, we did prepared dictation.  4 days, copying the same sentence, breaking it down to spelling, mechanics, etc. and then on the 5th day writing it from an oral prompt.

• Like 1

We are still wrapping up tgtb k. My first grader wrote: 

Bethkock’s has five forck’s. 

We have a little chant we sing before writing. It might help somebody else out there…….It’s from Mrs.Call on YouTube.

I’m a writing superstar,

5 big goals I know by heart.

Capital letter always first,

finger spaces between words. 

Sound it out the best you can, 

Punctuation at the end. 

Go back, and check, we do our best! 

21 hours ago, Janeway said:

He cannot. He knows how to write his letters, but he cannot spell some of those words. He also doesn’t know the mechanics of grammar or even to space the words. I don’t think we have even covered X in phonics yet let alone spelling. The phonics lessons in the book are fine and appropriate, but then there are dictations like this and I feel like maybe I need to shelve this book for a while. It has not even covered the mechanics yet, but then had the dictation. This doesn’t seem right.

Yeah, he's absolutely not ready. And no, it isn't right. o_0

• Like 1