Menu

Non-Calculus 4th Year Math credit

Hey all,

My DD will have completed  Alg1,  Alg 2, and Geometry. Our state requires 4 years of HS math with the those three required and then simply another high school level math course. She isn't pursuing a career requiring advanced maths, so I am wanting to choose something for her that is practical. Any certain curriculum ideas?

Thanks!

Personal Finance or Business Finance or Consumer Math.  BJU and Abeka and I am sure many other textbook companies all have at least one of these covered.  The math will be definitely be easier than Algebra 2.

You could couple Math.andyou.com (free) with Crash Course Statistics (free) for a years worth of material that checks a box.  If you want a rigorous credit I would do a full year of statistics.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, smfmommy said:

Personal Finance or Business Finance or Consumer Math.  BJU and Abeka and I am sure many other textbook companies all have at least one of these covered.  The math will be definitely be easier than Algebra 2.

You could couple Math.andyou.com (free) with Crash Course Statistics (free) for a years worth of material that checks a box.  If you want a rigorous credit I would do a full year of statistics.

Thank you! This is helpful. We are kind of leaning towards just checking a box at this point, though a personal finance course would have obvious benefits. I just don't want something too elementary, you know? 

With the Crash Course statistics course...is it just videos or is there anything to "do" or "grade". Is it a big deal if the credit is only visual? I always feel like I should have something to "prove" we did it. 

Edited by carrie_irene

9 hours ago, carrie_irene said:

With the Crash Course statistics course...is it just videos or is there anything to "do" or "grade". Is it a big deal if the credit is only visual? I always feel like I should have something to "prove" we did it. 

Since math is a skill subject, you will have to "do" something,  because a student can't learn math by watching someone else do math.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carrie_irene said:

There are worksheets to go with the videos at Teacher's Pay Teacher's.

AP Statistics only requires algebra 2 as a prerequisite. It is a practical course with a big focus on putting statistics into context, communicating meaning clearly, and interpreting results, as much as it is about doing calculations. AP might sound like more of a stretch than she’s planning on, but a lot of kids are rather pleased to discover what they are capable of, and find the real-world problem solving to be interesting.

Jen

AP Statistics/PA Homeschoolers

Honors History of Science/PA Homeschoolers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NittanyJen said:

AP Statistics only requires algebra 2 as a prerequisite. It is a practical course with a big focus on putting statistics into context, communicating meaning clearly, and interpreting results, as much as it is about doing calculations. AP might sound like more of a stretch than she’s planning on, but a lot of kids are rather pleased to discover what they are capable of, and find the real-world problem solving to be interesting.

Jen

AP Statistics/PA Homeschoolers

Honors History of Science/PA Homeschoolers

Thanks for the encouraging description! Dd had already chosen Stats instead of Calculus, because of the time commitment, for next year, but every now and then I waver because she is a solid math student.  But she’s headed into languages and doesn’t need the harder math. Everyone can use Stats! 

• Like 1