Menu

Did I mention I had to quit my job?

Night Elf

I've been working at CVS for two and a half months and really liked it, but my legs and specifically my knees hurt so bad I can't perform my job duties. Then my back started hurting again. So while I got permission to sit on a stool behind the register, sitting on it hurt my back so I was near to tears a few times. On the 28th of Feb., I had to leave work early. My manager was quite put out with me. He told me to go on home and not to worry about my schedule for the next two weeks as he would assign those shifts to other employees. I was hurting so bad I didn't even care. I went to the orthopedic doctor the next day and was told I had chondromalacia of the patella on both knees. My xrays look like a rock is sitting up on the rim of my knee. The doctor said my sudden and huge weight gain along with starting a job that had me using my legs way more than I ever had was an ugly combination. He suggested I find a different job since even weight loss won't fix the problem. He said weight loss will be helpful in alleviating the pain, but I should avoid jobs where I squat down or have me standing long periods of time because the build of my knees just can't handle it.

So I told my shift supervisor, not my store manager, that I was going to quit. She told me not to tell our store manager and that she would take care of it when he went on vacation this week. Then apparently he was prepared to terminate my employment without telling me, but she talked him out of it and said to let me quit citing medical concerns so I can come back if I want to come back when I'm healed. He agreed he'd hire me back if I could return to full duties. Yeah, that's never going to happen.

So I'm officially throwing in the towel on working. I don't feel working outside the home is a path God intends for me anymore. Instead, I need to get involved with my former church again or find a new church and get plugged in. I'm also working on so much else with my eating disorders, trying to lose weight, working the Overeaters Anonymous program, dealing with chronic insomnia, and doing my personal Bible studies and homeschooling materials that I just don't think I want to work. So I'm back to being a housewife, only I've gotten out of the habit. I don't want to clean and I'm certainly not going to cook. I hate cooking but DH doesn't mind it so he's designated cook. My house has fallen into disarray from our lack of maintaining it and every room needs to be deep cleaned so I can start maintenance again. So I guess that's what I'll do, but only a little at a time. I'm not going to overextend myself and set myself up for failure. Thank goodness my house is small.

• Sad 8

15 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

So sorry about your knees.  I somehow missed that you were not at the day care.  

Enjoy getting your house in order.  Sounds like heaven to me right now.  lol

Oh goodness. I hurt my back at the daycare and had a weight limitation. Because I couldn't pick up the kids, I couldn't work. After I was out for 6 weeks without the limitation being lifted, I talked to the director and told her I didn't know when I could come back. I apologized and said I guess we should just consider that I quit since I don't have a time frame in mind. I asked if I'd be rehired when I was better and she said to call her to see what is available. 

Then I got an email from CVS responding to my application months and months before that day. I took them up on their offer and started working there. Only that didn't work out either because of physical limitations.

I'm a hot mess. 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Only that didn't work out either because of physical limitations.

I'm a hot mess. 🙂

I'm so sorry life keeps throwing stuff at you. I completely relate to the "hot mess" feeling when it comes to physical limitations getting in the way.

From a physical health standpoint, I'm fortunate that I work from home doing a desk job that is flexible enough to allow me to stand up when I need to, sit down when I need to and take breaks to wander around the house or around the block. This provides all kind of benefits for my back issues and neuropathy and arthritis, etc.

The situation is definitely not ideal for my mental health, however, since even after two years I desperately miss the routine of going to the office and working alongside other people and just being "out in the world." 

It's hard to balance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Night Elf said:

I need to get involved with my former church again or find a new church and get plugged in. I'm also working on so much else with my eating disorders, trying to lose weight, working the Overeaters Anonymous program, dealing with chronic insomnia, and doing my personal Bible studies and homeschooling materials that I just don't think I want to work. So I'm back to being a housewife, only I've gotten out of the habit. I don't want to clean and I'm certainly not going to cook. I hate cooking but DH doesn't mind it so he's designated cook. My house has fallen into disarray from our lack of maintaining it and every room needs to be deep cleaned so I can start maintenance again.

Sounds like you have a good plan for your next step! And I hear you on being so busy that you don't get everything done. 

Change is good, even if it doesn't feel like it in the moment. 🙂

• Like 1

Beth, I've had to give up some beloved dreams and activities, too, due to physical limitations. Middle age sucks--I feel I have gained some valuable wisdom and perspective right when my body is going to the dogs. I'm trying to enjoy what IS available, but I find myself longing for the awesome stuff that didn't hurt to do when I was 20, ya know?

• Like 1