Menu

1st Grade Planning Thread - 2022-2023

Cordelia

My DS will be in 1st grade in the fall. 

Current plans:

Phonics - continue OPGTR

Math - Saxon 2. We're going to work through Addition Facts that Stick over the summer.

Handwriting - continuing various workbooks we already have

History - SOTW volume 1, with activity guide. Hoping to find some friends to come over and do the activities with us, but we'll see.

Science - We're going to study plants, animals, and the human body. We do Wild + Free plus another nature study group, so we're just going to read books about those topics and consider that good. I'm feeling kind of wild for not doing an official science curriculum, but I feel like it's okay for this age? DS is my oldest and I second guess myself a lot.

Bible - Awana Sparks book

WWE 1

FLL 1

BJU spelling

Hoping to do the Cross Seven membership and work on the Claritas memory work. 

• Like 1

My will-be 1st grader is my second child. I am approaching his schooling only slightly different than my first child. I like to focus on the 3Rs and dabble in science and social studies in early elementary. This child finished his Kinder math before Thanksgiving, and is in 1st grade math now. 

CLE reading 100 plus plenty of other reading 

CLE math- complete 100 and go into 200

CLE LA 100

Abeka My America

Abeka Discovering God's World

CLE SS (1 booklet we found randomly)

CLE Sciende (1 booklet we found randomly)

TGTB safety unit as a family

After Christmas, I'll likely start him on CTC logic games. 

I didn't get him a Bible curriculum, but we have a dozen children's Bibles and Bible story books so we'll likely just read through them all.

Kids play a single sport fall and spring. We'll see what he decides.

Edited by Brittany1116
Update

My youngest, Audrey, will be in 1st next year.
The tentative plan:

Math: Finish Math Mammoth level 2, start level 3. Add in Singapore Process Skills and Challenging Word Problems. Plus lots of math/logic games.

Language Arts: Start her first Lantern English writing classes. Lots of independent reading from a broad literature list including a lot of Dahl and Cleary. All About Spelling Levels 2 (continued from this year) and 3. Daily Grams. Maybe start Typing.

History: Listen to Joy Hakim's A History of US (the concise version).

Science: Listen to Mr. Q Chemistry

Spanish: homegrown comprehensible input Spanish, probably including an immersion class. Focus on becoming a fluent Spanish reader.

Memorization: Probably starting Anki

Art: Comic book drawing class

Music: She has mentioned violin...maybe? Continue piano using Playground Sessions at home.

PE: Outdoor Nature exploration and skills class

Extras: Fun flex-time classes...this year they are The Art of Learning, Learning with Legos and Michigan Woods and Wildlife. No clue what will be offered next year.

AOh14Gjdtcaf8YqAOAMP2FtV5z6l2r6-rnDbFFruHZvxiA=s40
ReplyForward

This upcoming school year I'll have my very last 1st grader! DD6 has been doing a lot of formal school a bit earlier than her sisters did just because her personality is very driven and because the rest of us are doing school, so she thinks why shouldn't she? It's actually a lot but she thrives with it.

Math: She's doing BA 2A right now. She'll finish it soon and will probably start 2C by the time the new school year starts for us. I do plan on having her go back and finish the level 1 books as they come out. She'll also keep working on math facts fluency with Time4MathFacts.

Writing: Right now she does primarily copywork and informal narration. I haven't found a writing program I love for this age yet, so I guess that's pending.

Spelling: She'll actually finish AAS 2 this week, so my guess is she'll spend most of next school year in level 3.

Grammar: I haven't been doing grammar with her yet, but she'll almost certainly start Beowulf Grammar next year. She'll love it too.

Typing: She does TypingClub right now and I don't see that changing.

Geography: This kid got obsessed with Stack the States and now knows more about US geography that most of our family. I'll probably have her start doing the Draw the World/Draw the US this next year. She's been begging to like her sisters. Her fine motor skills are what's held me back. When she tried before, she just couldn't do a very good job and it frustrated her.

History/Science: Like her sisters, we'll unschool these. They are all required to read from various library non-fiction books I check out and we do a lot of deliberate but informal activities with both subjects. We do several Junior Ranger badges a year and visit lots of museums. The girls also love "edutainment" and watch lots of documentaries and play educational games. I also sign them up for homeschool STEM classes at the local Children's Museum. She also has her own 5x8 raised bed garden that she's in charge of planning and taking care of. I think she's planning on peas, cucumbers (for pickles), and carrots, if I remember correctly.

Piano: She's working her way through Hoffman Academy.

Reading: She's a very fluent reader, so I'll probably start assigning literature books for her to read for a half hour a day like her sisters. It's almost not necessary though as she loves to read in her free time. But I'd like to introduce her to more than Dogman, My Little Pony, and other silly graphic novels. 

• Like 1

Our 3rd DS will be a young 1st grader next year. The plan:

Bible: undecided. He'll join in family discussions and I may just read a children's bible to him.

History: SOTW 2 with his brothers.

Science: Berean Builders with his brothers

Phonics: continue OPG, adding in easy reading bob-type books

Grammar: FLL 1

Writing/spelling: I think I'll have him do copy work that I'll create. I may add in some spelling half way through using the short vowel words from OPG.

Math: continue R&S 1, moving into level 2.

Art: daily New Augsburg based drawing. Weekly art class I'm hoping to run for lower elementary kids: I'm planning to base our weekly projects loosely on books (mostly books from fiar).

Piano: begin Alfred books level 1A. Require 10ish min of practice/playing around a day.

Memory work: I think I may have to do a separate memory work time for him. His older brothers are starting to memorize longer, more complex things and he still needs to memorize things like days of the week and months.

• 2 weeks later...

DS will be an older first grader next year, and he is first grade by age and "output" but wants "input" at levels for older ages. We managed that this year by being super literature-based. I think it worked pretty well. He's an only child, so I'm still finding my way:

Math: We'll be partway through RS Math C in the fall.  Supplementing with BA2. We'll add in some boolean logic and set theory  as a part of what we're doing in science

Language Arts: This kid is a voracious reader but still learning to write his letters confidently. I think he'll be confident in his letter formation by the fall. Continuing Handwriting Without Tears and Spelling You See. Adding in WriteShop Primary and the Poodle series from MCT. Lots and lots and lots of books that I'll read aloud and that he'll read to me and that we'll take turns reading, many of them tied into our history and science study.

History: Medieval history - Build Your Library for pacing and ideas. Lots of make believe history play. Transitioning into more narration and copywork as he is developmentally ready.

Science: DS wants to do robotics, so I'm preparing lessons on related science topics with a LEGO boost kit  and book that we're working through. Science topics I'm thinking about: a semester on the electrical side of things and a semester on the computing side of things

Other: piano, poem memorization, typing, coding, a farm and forest enrichment class that he does once a week, and hopefully swimming lessons if Covid continues to improve

This is for a young but capable first grader. It'll be interesting to see how much he matures between now and then. He's a tag along for science and history. He gets a lot of science, history, civics, and geography in daily life and conversation as well as field trips.

Math: He's really looking forward to doing Beast Academy. I'm holding off starting level 1 until next school year, hoping I can buy them all at once and save a little money that way. Math-wise he could handle level 2 right now, but his concentration and maturity aren't there.

Science: Paying a little attention to older siblings doing Science Mom Chemistry and then Biology, most likely. We are currently doing Earth Science, and it's a favorite

History: Modern American and World History using volumes 7-10 of Hakim's History of US and Volume 4 of Bauer's Story of the World  He probably gets more out of the read alouds and tangential conversations than the actual texts, but he usually listens in with the older siblings.

Language Arts: Reading: All About Reading level 4, then just reading aloud with me a little each day. He reads for fun on his own already, and I'm sure that will continue. Handwriting: not sure yet whether he'll want to start cursive or stick with print. Grammar: I'll probably start going through the old First Language Lessons with him and little brother, partly to give him the chance to be the "big one" in a pairing. It's gentle enough the turning-4 year-old can get something out of it. Spelling: All About Spelling levels 1 and 2. We'd be doing level 1 now except I loaned it out.

PE: Probably some soccer and weekly gymnastics or other full-body sport like ninja training. 

Music: Church music

Bible: Telling God's Story years 3 and 4, probably

Art: Probably should do something with this. 

Extra curriculars: Scouts (Tigers), whatever else comes up

Dragon is a weird December birthday, and she started K this year even though she wouldn't have been in K in public school. She's doing really well though so I think we're going to push forward with a more academic/1st grade year and see how it goes. Worst case is that she's overwhelmed and I pull back. 

Math:  Math with Confidence 2nd. She's flying through MWC 1st, so hopefully she slows down considerably since the next level won't be out for over a year.  

Reading/Writing:  Logic of English Foundations C.  I've heard most kids slow down significantly from B to C, so we'll see. She's doing well with a lesson per day in B so far. 

Science:  Interest-led, supplementing with GenerationGenius and MysteryScience 

History:  History Quest Ancients

Geography/Lit: Exploring the World Through Story (Level B)  

Literature:  Lots of read alouds and audiobooks

FAMILY
Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study, Training Hearts; Teaching Minds
History: Our 50 States
Science: Apologia Earth Science and Botany Science In The Beginning
Arts: Artistic Pursuits ES-B2

DS6
Bible: What's In The Bible?
Math: Ray's Primary
LA: RLTL, HLTL
FL: Hey Andrew 1
Arts: Home Art Studio

Edited by Slache

On 2/17/2022 at 10:45 PM, JazzyMom said:

Ds is our 7th of 8 children.  

We also keep it simple.

Reading: A Beka Handbook for Reading, A Beka Letters and Sounds

Math: A Beka Arithmetic 1

Handwriting: Pentime 1a

Picture books, audiobooks, crafts, playtime

I’m only on my 3rd, but our plan looks similar. I love how it gets simpler the more you do it. I wish I had that wisdom with my oldest one.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I’m only on my 3rd, but our plan looks similar. I love how it gets simpler the more you do it. I wish I had that wisdom with my oldest one.

Same.  And that also holds true for middle school, high school, college admissions, etc.  The oldest one looked so big, and everything seemed so important.  But in hindsight, he was so young and still had so much growing and maturing to do.  Your words are a good reminder to me!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JazzyMom said:

Same.  And that also holds true for middle school, high school, college admissions, etc.  The oldest one looked so big, and everything seemed so important.  But in hindsight, he was so young and still had so much growing and maturing to do.  Your words are a good reminder to me!

That’s exactly how I feel. When my oldest was 4, he had 2 little siblings and felt half grown. My 4th is about to turn 4 and she is still breastfeeding and we all call her a baby. It’s hilarious. I have my suspicions middle school and high school will be similar, but I still have a hard time not worrying about it. I love that you just don’t have to worry about the little ones. 

• Like 2

This is number 3 of 5. He gets lost so the MP enrichment is for that;)  I totally get to don't worry and be laid back. I also am not going to let this one get by with so little writing as the older 2 did. That made me have to push way too hard in 5th and 3rd to convince them that writing is necessary. History however is not as important as early as I made it in the past...we're just going to enjoy culture and stories here;)

Math: RightStart B 

Reading: Memoria Press story time treasures

Spelling: Traditional spelling 1

Handwriting/copywork: Memoria press cursive and copybook

Science: MP enrichment and SCM Outdoor Secerets (both are 1x week and we will not fo enrichment every week...only when I and he want too)

History: MP enrichment and maybe 50 famous stories retold

Geography: maybe Charlotte Mason Elementary Geography 

Art: Memoria Press, drawing textbook, paper modeling

Edited by countrymum
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My son has a June birthday and he's a 2E child, so I would technically consider him an older kindergartener, though he's doing first grade work in some areas. My 4-yr-old daughter joins him for some of these classes.

Math: MEP book 2, Beast Academy 1A-1D, Singapore IP 1A/1B and CWP

Reading: AAR 1 and 2

Spelling: AAS 1 and 2

Literature: Braidy the Story Braid (story grammar marker stages 1 & 2)

Geography: My custom curriculum covering 40 countries in 2 years, incorporates art, music, food, culture, and literature

Speech: SPARC for Grammar, HELP 2

Foreign language: Japanese (informally taught by me, basic vocab)

Handwriting: GriffinOT pencil grasp program, HWT "get ready for school," Write from the Start

Science: part of geography (animals, biomes, habitats, climate and weather)

Nature Studies: repeat of my custom curriculum from this academic year

• 5 months later...

We’re coming late to the Grade 1 party! Captain is my last one. I’m keeping things very slimmed down. He is not ready for formal extras quite yet.

Math: BJU Math 1

Phonics/English: BJU 1

Reading: BJU Reading 1

Handwriting: BJU 1

Religion: church, daily family devotional, read children’s Bible

He will play, make art, and stuff for fun.