Menu

Did you know you could run reports on Amazon reviews?

DawnM

6 minutes ago, DawnM said:

For example, it shows that this item 45% of current reviewers have had previous reviews deleted. 90% Have An Overrepresented Word Count. 

Very cool.

Very cool.

But I don’t know what those phrases mean.

Does deleted reviews mean Amazon deleted other reviews the poster had posted. For same same item or for anything?

Does overpresented word count mean the same words/phrases are used in many reviews?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NewnameC said:

Very cool.

Does deleted reviews mean Amazon deleted other reviews the poster had posted. For same same item or for anything?

Does overpresented word count mean the same words/phrases are used in many reviews?

I think the overprinted word count means they are flagged as a "bot review" rather than a real review, but I am not sure.   And if Amazon knows it is a bot review, they delete them.   Fake reviews to boost review counts.

I don't review things very often, but a couple of times when I have had serious problems with a product, and the maker's customer service was less than helpful about fixing/exchanging it, I've written an Amazon review to warn other buyers about the problem - and the review was deleted by Amazon every time (like 2-4 times).  So, just because they've deleted someone's review doesn't make them an untrustworthy reviewer?  And now I don't bother reviewing on Amazon anymore.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewnameC said:

Very cool.

I, a legitimate reviewer, had a review deleted.  I now cannot post any replacement review for that item. (I tried once.) I was never told why. It was an item I was thrilled with, and wanted to share why I thought it was so great.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, CTVKath said:

Very cool!!!! Thank you for posting. I'm trusting the reviews on Amazon less and less these days and this gives me one more tool for evaluation. 

My son installed the "Fakespot" brower extension on my computer.  they review the reviews and block the ones they perceive as fake.  They also review the reliability of the seller.  Their 'grades" can be similar to Amazon, or wildly different.   You can tailor your search results to return based on fakespot, or not.  The one annoyance is it's harder to actually read reviews.

Mostly Amazon, but I'm seeing it now on ebay as well.

For some items, I really appreciate reviews with pictures - so (especially for negative ones) - I've started including them.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

My son installed the "Fakespot" brower extension on my computer.  they review the reviews and block the ones they perceive as fake.  They also review the reliability of the seller.  Their 'grades" can be similar to Amazon, or wildly different.   You can tailor your search results to return based on fakespot, or not.  The one annoyance is it's harder to actually read reviews.

Mostly Amazon, but I'm seeing it now on ebay as well.

For some items, I really appreciate reviews with pictures - so (especially for negative ones) - I've started including them.

That's cool.   I didn't know about that one either.

1 hour ago, Amy in NH said:

I don't review things very often, but a couple of times when I have had serious problems with a product, and the maker's customer service was less than helpful about fixing/exchanging it, I've written an Amazon review to warn other buyers about the problem - and the review was deleted by Amazon every time (like 2-4 times).  So, just because they've deleted someone's review doesn't make them an untrustworthy reviewer?  And now I don't bother reviewing on Amazon anymore.

I've had items for which I couldn't reach the seller, posted a negative review.  THEN the seller miraculously reaches out to me to "fix" the problem.  The most recent one was offering new springs for a trampoline I got rid of a year before they offered to send me springs.  I took the springs - and used them for the replacement trampoline (springs were breaking) that I was getting rid of.  I think I just gave that one away for free.   Love getting rid of stuff. . . . I had a trampoline that lasted and lasted and lasted . .(did need a new spring cover).  then dudeling insisted we get rid of it because he didn't use it anymore. . . six months later, he wanted a new trampoline.  the springs are junk.  But I digress. . . 

depending upon what I'm buying - I do NOT rely upon amazon reveiws.   I will do general searches - and you can usually tell which sites rely upon amazon, and those can be ignored.  (since I can get that information off of amazon itself.)

e.g.  I just bought a trailer hitch.  I went to towing sites for what was the best hitch for my car.  Dh had it professionally installed by our shop.  They said it was a good hitch.  Now I can have my 'step' (bumper guard) stuck into the hitch so I can get things out of the back more easily. (I thought the van was annoying that way . . . ).  same thing - I did some general searches, and not wholly rely upon amazon reviews for what was a good step.

but like any reveiw - I like to read them as some of the reviewers clearly are the problem.  Like when 1ds worked the help desk phone lines in tech support.  He had callers he wanted to tell - put the item back in the box and take it back to the store.  (your device is fine - the problem is in the chair.).

• Like 1

Why would Amazon delete a review after it's been posted? That's bizarre.

I had one negative review Amazon wouldn't let me post. They said it broke a rule, but couldn't say which one. It was for 3 bags each of 12 different kinds of tea. Instead I received 36  different kinds. Unfortunately, I couldn't return it. I wanted to warn other people.

• Like 1