Menu

NYT documentary: Day of Rage: How Trump Supporters Took the US Capitol

SoCal_Bear

This popped up in my feed today.

It is one thing to read news articles and watch short clips. It was sobering, heartbreaking, horrifying to watch this NYT documentary by a fellow Berkeley alum. It has been shortlisted for the Oscars. I have seen a lot of people either trying to sweep this under the rug, excusing what happened, trying to defend or justify what happened or flat out denying the seriousness of Jan.6. I can't unsee what I just watched. What happened on this day is indefensible. Wrong is wrong.

warning the documentary is violent and graphic because the what happened was violent and graphic.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000007606996/capitol-riot-trump-supporters.html?fbclid=IwAR2pe_gNQZMMIHUgbvr1YPsaeimQSna5JcfEFhm6CoaW7wktl2I9mRK-Vp0

• Like 6
  • Thanks 12

17 minutes ago, Fritz said:

I'm curious to see if it includes the video of capital police officer Lt. Michael Byrd shooting (without warning) unarmed Ashli Babbit in the neck and killing her?

Acording to the trespasser next to her, who ended up with her blood on him, the officer clearly told them to stay back, while pointing his weapon, as she attempted to climb through a broken window of a barricaded door being guarded by police officers.

https://theintercept.com/2021/08/27/capitol-police-officer-shot-ashli-babbitt-insists-warn-opening-fire/

Edited by Idalou
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Fritz said:

I'm curious to see if it includes the video of capital police officer Lt. Michael Byrd shooting (without warning) unarmed Ashli Babbit in the neck and killing her?

The documentary clearly shows what happened in that incident especially the context which matters a lot. After you watch that, you can see exactly why he took the action he did. He was about to be overrun. I can't unsee watching Ashli be shot in the shoulder knowing that she would later die. The documentary showed exactly what the DOJ investigation found:
https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/department-justice-closes-investigation-death-ashli-babbitt

Likewise I can't unsee watching the crowd tampel a women who would later die of her injuries as they rushed into the Capitol or drag a fallen police officer down the front stairwell of the Capitol steps by his helmet. I can not unhear the audio from the radio communications of officers who tried to hold the line and were outflanked and overrun. The sound of the men and women who were in mortal fear for their lives yet trying to still do their jobs is haunting.

I forced myself not to turn away and to bear witness to this tragic moment in our collective history.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 7

13 hours ago, Frances said:

It is history. It doesn’t have to be political.

It is and it doesn't.

13 hours ago, calbear said:

I'm not making a political statement about it. It is a historical record of what happened.

I know. I'm not confused about that. I don't think everyone is on the same page tho.

• Like 2

I went looking a few days ago in archives for the thread we had here in real time, as the attack on the Capitol was unfolding.  I recall those hours very vividly, where I was sitting, what I was doing before it began (with cspan's coverage on what I expected to be a long somewhat boring ceremonial event on, as background).

I recall several things coming out in real time on that thread, that a year later sort of jangled in tangled PTSD memory, that I wanted to clarify. So I went looking, figuring at a minimum it'd be interesting as a historical record.

The in-real-time thread seems (?) to have been deleted.  I don't remember that from the time.  I'm sorry, because even a year later, I continue to experience the attack itself, as well the before and after to it, as difficult to process.

The NYT documentary is very good.  WaPo also has a very good, more text-focused with interactive components, 3-part servies of overviews that I believe are not paywalled here.

The best curated / easily searchable clearinghouse of information about the before / during / after that I've found, which includes links to all the primary-document court filings for both the criminal cases and a number of related civil suits, public releases (including all the released correspondence) coming out of the Select Committee, legislative votes and testimony before various other Congressional committees, and more, is here, collected and updated by the folks at Just Security, a center for security and legal issues out of New York University.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1