Menu

Book a Week 2021 - BW51: Welcome to Winter

Robin M

Happy Sunday, my lovelies. Although Winter in our part of the world officially begins on Tuesday, the 21st, it seems to have arrived a couple days early.  Jack Frost was nipping at our toes this morning when we woke to a coating of frost on the ground.  It's the first real freeze we've had in a couple years and I'm hoping it’s enough to make our morning glory turn dormant for the winter.  The plant is the gift that keeps on giving as we're now sharing it with all our neighbors.  Unintentionally of course.  Fortunately, they all love us.  

Wintertime always puts me in the mood to read about blizzards, icebound explorers, and arctic adventures, while I hibernate inside my warm house, cozy on the couch with a warm blanket and one of my lap cats. Join me in reading a book that takes place during winter, is set in an icebound location or is about battling the elements.

21 Books Set in Cold and Snowy Destinations to Read This Winter

26 Cozy Winter Reads for 2021

21 authors pick their favorite winter reads

17 Beautiful Icelandic Novels To Inspire a Trip to Iceland

14 Books Set in Greenland That Will Put It At The Top Of Your Bucket List

Winter Science Fiction And Fantasy

And since Christmas is coming up, maybe a Christmas Story or two. 

Classic Christmas Short Stories You Can Read Right Now

33 Best Christmas Books to Read Around the Holidays

Christmas Reads for Adults: 20 Best Books You Must Read This Christmas

Merry Christmas to you and yours! 

Link to week 50

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the weekly, monthly, annual and perpetual challenges.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I finished the second book in J.S. Dewes Divide series, The Exiled Fleet which was excellent.  Action packed, emotion filled, stressful for the characters read. 

“The Sentinels narrowly escaped the collapsing edge of the Divide.

They have mustered a few other surviving Sentinels, but with no engines they have no way to leave the edge of the universe before they starve.

Adequin Rake has gathered a team to find the materials they'll need to get everyone out.

To do that they're going to need new allies and evade a ruthless enemy. Some of them will not survive.”

Started Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall which I’m enjoying so far. 

• Like 4

I love the winter and am eagerly anticipating the snow. I have been closing the blinds, lighting a fire in the fireplace, and either watching a winter-ish show or reading a book set in winter. I am tempted to put a snow scene on the tv screen.

I haven't read much the past couple of days and am still in the beginning chapters of The Dark is Rising. I have been recommending it to my tennis students, though, and I believe I have convinced at least one to pick it up and read it over the holiday.

I am creating a new journal for my daughter this week, so my main book will probably end up being an audiobook. I have a Brene Brown book that just came in so I'm good to go.

• Like 6

I am going to start reading The Flight Girls, so as to be ready for a Book Club discussion next week. Also have been reading Hosanna, an Advent devotional based on Christmas  hymns and their lyrics. I love hymns but about 1/3 of these are new to me and I'm really enjoying the history and just singing them over quietly to myself.

Finished a sweet read, How to Find Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry...I'd read another one by her but I wish I could have seen more of the founder of the bookshop, who dies near the beginning and passes the bookshop and its challenges on to his daughter.

Also read Dear Mrs. Bird by A.M. Pearce, which is set in WWII England about a young woman who gets a p/t job working for a newspaper (she thinks) but turns out to be working for an advice columnist at a faltering magazine whose advice to everyone is to shop whining and just get on with what needs to be done. The young woman is much more compassionate and can't stand to leave some of those pleas for advice unanswered. Amusing consequences ensue as she tries to resolve her dilemma.

Also enjoying Swordheart by TS Kingfisher. I like a little sword and sorcery with comedic relief included. 8-)

I think I have a present book for all my immediate family: The Artist's Way, a book on anxiety, a book on gardening, a book on pet photography, a picture book artist's biography, and a novel. And I got myself a book of "intermediate level" crossword puzzles (which are quite challenging for me, but I hope to improve) and some yarn for crocheting.

• Like 6

This week was all about finishing some of my 2021 reading plans.  I read the last books in both of my 21 book chains.  Woot!  Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/114132.Midnight_Bayou      which is as old one with ghosts!  I loved it.  The other was able to be finished by a Lorraine Heath new release called The Duchess Hunt https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56462935-the-duchess-hunt While I enjoyed that book as part of a series it had a unique storyline twist near the end that I suspect might having a few people throwing the book at the wall.

The Labors of Hercules by Agatha Christie was my tenth Christie of the year for my read (which has turned into listen) to her books in publication order.  I am doing ten a year.  This one started well but the series of stories in which Poirot completes the twelve labors of Hercules sort of lost steam as they went along.  I also listened to The Swimmer by Joakim Zander fo my Z in my A to Z by author.  The Swimmer takes place during the Christmas season so perfect for Robin’s theme this week.

I still have Saint X in my audio stack in order to finish A to Z by Title.  So Saint X will probably my be my next audiobook.

If you have made it this far in my post you can see the great variety of books  that doing challenges “forces” me to read.  Nordic Noir, Golden Age, Romatic Suspence all mixed together with a historical romance.

• Like 5

Some bookish posts ~

WHAT AGATHA CHRISTIE'S NOVELS—AND LIFE—HAVE TO TEACH TODAY’S CRIME WRITERS

https://crimereads.com/agatha-christies-novel-and-life-lessons/

The Books That Made Garth Nix

https://www.tor.com/2021/11/04/the-books-that-made-garth-nix/

HOW TO TRAVEL THE WORLD WITH GREAT BOOKS: "CRIME AND THE CITY" TURNS 100

https://crimereads.com/how-to-travel-the-world-with-great-books/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Book Chain of 21..........my first one.  Basically these books all connect through words in the titles or author names.

1. Murder, Plain and Simple by Isabella Alan
  2. Murder, Simply Stiched by Isabella Alan
  3. Marion Lane and the Midnight Murder by TA Willberg
  4. The Midnight Bargain by CL Polk
  5. The Bargain by Mary Jo Putney
  6. Petals in the Storm by Mary Jo Putney
  7. Flowers in the Storm by Laura Kinsale
  8. Flight by Laura Griffin
  9. Flight by Jan Burke
  10. Bloodlines by Jan Burke
  11. Bloodlines by Susan Conant
  12. Mr Churchill’s Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal
  13. Princess Elizabeth’s Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal
  14. Northern Spy by Flynn Berry
  15. Northern Light by Nora Roberts
  16. Public Secrets by Nora Roberts
  17. Secrets in the Sand by Carolyn Brown
  18. Ghost in Trouble by Carolyn Hart
  19. Trouble in Triplicate by Rex Stout
  20. Before Midnight by Rex Stout
  21. Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts
  • Like 5

My second 21 book chain......

1. To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini’s
  2. The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
  3. The Lady in the Lake by Raymond Chandler
  4. The Lady Most Willing by Julia Quinn
  5. Miss Julia Stands Her Ground by Ann B. Ross
  6. Miss Julia Strikes Back by Ann B. Ross
  7. Silent Voices by Ann Cleeves
  8. The Glass Room by Ann Cleeves
  9. The Murder Room by PD James
  10. Murder by the Book by Rex Stout
  11. In a Book Club Far Away by Tif Marcelo
  12. Far Gone by Laura Griffin
  13. After I’m Gone by Laura Lippman
  14. Dream Girl by Laura Lippman
  15. The Girl Who Died by Ragnar Jonasson
  16. The Man Who Died Laughing by David Handler
  17. The Man Who Lived by Night by David Handler
  18. The Night Hawks by Elly Griffiths 
  19. The Vanishing Box by Elly Griffiths
  20. Trophy Hunt CJ Box
  21. The Duchess Hunt by Lorraine Heath

• Like 5

I've done a quick shuffle and sort to see how I was doing with my reading hopes, and the challenges I set for this year.   I initially jotted down: hoping to complete 52 titles in total this year.   (12 printed books, and, 40 new to me audiobooks). 

As the year progressed I updated those numbers a few times to become:  Complete 182 titles  (24 printed books; and,  40 new, to me, authors - as opposed to new audiobooks).   

Part of  that total number included an  A-Z Challenge, which I shared as completed in an earlier post.

Complete 182 titles    My tally on Goodreads is not an accurate tally – picture books got included in there – so I still have two more titles to complete, to reach 182 titles read or listened to before the end of the year, which I’ll easily do.

Read 24 printed books - I read 29 printed books  (I'll post this next as a separate post).

40 new, to me, authors -   ending up being 43 new authors

I think the achievements I am quietly enjoying the most is having completed some longer standing sip-reads:

A:  KJV Life Application Study Bible (kindle)  (began  Feb 2018 completed 07 Dec 2021)

B:  How the Heather Looks ~ Joan Bodger   memoir (began April 2018. Brit-Trip. Restarted April 2019 Completed Nov 2021) 

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

A personal challenge: Read at least 24 physical books     (completed 29)    Self- imposed guidelines: Minimum of 150pgs, no repeat reads.

Bella: My Life in Food ~ Annabel Langbein   (N/F) (4+)  393pgs

A Decline in Prophets: Rowland Sinclair Bk2 ~ Sulari Gentill (4)  354pgs

The Forest of Wool and Steel ~ Natsu Miyashita  (4.5)  157pgs

Ladies’ Bane: Miss Silver Bk22 ~  Patricia Wentworth (ebook) (3-)  272pgs

Miles Off Course: Rowland Sinclair Bk3 ~ Sulari Gentill  (3)  354pgs

Paving the New Road: Rowland Sinclair Bk4 ~ Sulari Gentill  (4)  403pgs

Gentleman Formerly Dressed: Rowland Sinclair Bk5 ~ Sulari Gentill  (2)  368pgs

A Murder Unmentioned: Rowland Sinclair Bk6 ~ Sulari Gentill (4)  384pgs

Give the Devil His Due: Rowland Sinclair B7 ~ Sulari Gentill  (3)   374pgs

A Dangerous Language:  Rowland Sinclair Bk8 ~ Sulari Gentill (4)   367pgs  

Keep a Quiet Heart ~ Elisabeth Elliot  (N/F) (4)  (CC)  269pgs

God in the Docks ~ C.S. Lewis (ebook & audiobook) (3)  409pgs

Dark Threads the Weaver Needs: The Problem of Human Suffering ~ by Herbert Lockyer  (4) (CC)   129pgs  (not counted too short)

A Testament of Character: Rowland Sinclair Bk10 ~ Sulari Gentill (-)  337pgs

This Time Next Year We'll Be Laughing ~ Jacqueline Winspear (2.5)  (N/F)  314pgs 

The Empty World ~ D.E. Stevenson (3)  (273pgs)

A Completing of The Watsons ~ Rose Servitova  (3)  (258pgs)

Vanishing Point : Miss Silver Bk25 ~ Patricia Wentworth (4)  (353pgs)

Nothing Venture  ~  Patricia Wentworth (kindle) (3 ) (240pgs)

Outrageous Fortune ~ Patricia Wentworth (3)  (219pgs)

Red Shadow ~ Patricia Wentworth  (3-)  (230pgs)

For the Love of Books: A Celebration of the Written Word ~ Graham Tarrant (2-3) (228pgs)

The White Cottage Mystery ~ Margery Allingham (2 ) (e.book) (176pgs) 

I Love You and I Like You: How to Be Married and Still Be Friends ~ Steve Chapman, Annie Chapman (-) (176pgs ) CC  

Help, I'm Drowning: Weathering the Storms of Life with Grace and Hope ~ Sally Clarkson (e.book)  (4) (256pgs)

Confessions of a Bookseller: Diary of a Bookseller Bk2 ~ Shaun Bythell (library e.book) (2.5) (328pgs)

The Resilient Farmer: Weathering the Challenges of Life and Land ~ Doug Avery (5) (p283)

How the Heather Looks ~ Joan Bodger  (5) (264pgs)    *sip-read. restarted in April 2019  (not counted in tally)

The Quick Roasting Tin: 30 Minute One Dish Dinners ~ Rukmini Iyer (5)  (pgs238)

The Roasting Tin: Simple One Dish Dinners ~ Rukmini Iyer (5)   (pgs238)  

One Pan Perfect ~ Donna Hay (pgs272)      (no rating until I’ve tried some of the recipes)  

The Life Application KJV Bible     *sip-read. started in Feb 2018  (not counted in tally)

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

@tuesdayschildWhat an interesting list of completed books.  Your new author challenge is such a marvelous  and hard challenge for someone who is basically a series reader(so me).  I tend to try books in series I might be interested in but not new to me authors for their own sake.  The book chains are what seem to take me out of my comfort zone.   Perhaps I will set a new author challenge as on of my 10’s for next year or just as a Goodreads shelf so I can track them and see where I stand at the end of next years. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

I've done a quick shuffle and sort to see how I was doing with my reading hopes, and the challenges I set for this year.   I initially jotted down: hoping to complete 52 titles in total this year.   (12 printed books, and, 40 new to me audiobooks). 

As the year progressed I updated those numbers a few times to become:  Complete 182 titles  (24 printed books; and,  40 new, to me, authors - as opposed to new audiobooks).   

Awesome and congratulations on finding all those new to you authors.   In hopes of completing 52, you completed 182. Three times as much as you planned. Always enjoys hearing about triumphs that occur in the most unexpected ways.  Wonderful list and I'll have to check out some of the titles.  

13 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Book Chain of 21..........my first one.  Basically these books all connect through words in the titles or author names.

12 hours ago, mumto2 said:

My second 21 book chain...

Love your book chains and now I have a better idea on how to complete one.  I'll have to try again at some point.  More books for me to check out.  

• Like 4

Woot Woot. I finished my 10 x 10.  Had to change a couple categories to make everything fit. Nuns was a complete bust and it turned into Next in a Series. Magic switches to Paranormal and Urban Fantasy. I’ll split it up so don’t overwhelm in one post.  I totally enjoyed my Alternate Realities and Dragon reads.  Nice to rediscover Space Opera’s.  I won’t list my Nora Robert’s Revisited list because It’s just a list of all the series I completed.

Officially I’m calling it at 100, although I read a lot of series for the Nora Roberts Revisit but only counted each series as one. I’ll follow up with stats in another post. I think I lost track of which were ebooks and which were physical, but I’m pretty sure the majority are ebooks as my physical stacks didn’t diminish by much. In fact, I think they had babies because I seem to have more than I started with at the beginning of the year.  LOL!

Alternate Realities

1. To Sleep in a Sea of Stars – Christopher Paolini ( 856)

2. Stars Uncharted (#1 Stars uncharted) – S.K. Dunstall (Space opera)

3. Midnight Library – Matt Haig (AR, TIME TRAVEL, Librarian)

4. Wheel of Light (#14 WOT) – Robert Jordan (900+ MAGIC)

5. The Mortal Word (#6 IL) – Genevieve Cogman

6. The Last Watch (#1 Divide) – J.S. Dewes (Space opera)

7. The Exiled Fleet (#2 Divide) – J.S. Dewes (Space opera)

8. The Starless Sea – Erin Morgenstern

9. Dark Archive (#7 Invisible Library) – Genevieve Cogman

Dragons

1. Baking Bad (#1 Beaufort Scales)- Kim M Watt (England: Leeds, Skipton)

2. Dragons of Dorcastle (#1 Pillars of Reality)- Jack Campbell

3. Dirty Deeds: Urban Fantasy Collection – Faith Hunter, et al)

4. Dragons in the Earth – Judith Tar (Arizona)

5. Tea with a Black Dragon – R.A. MacAvoy

6. Elder Races series (1 – 😎 – Thea Harrison

7. The Becoming (#2 Awakening)

• Like 4

FINES – related to crimes

1. A Borrowing of Bones (#1 Mercy Carr) – Paula Munier

2. The Madness of Crowds (#17 Armand Gamache) – Louise Penny

3. Deadly Deception (#3 O’Halleran Security International series – T.J. Logan

4. Deadly Secret (#1 O’Halleran) – T.J. Logan

5. A Cold Dark Place (#1 Cold Justice)- Toni Anderson

6. Secret Chapter (#6 Invisible Library) – Genevieve Cogman

7. Dark Archive (#7 Invisible Library) – Genevieve Cogman

8. Phantom Evil (#1 Krewe of the Hunters) – Heather Graham

9. A Bad Day for Sunshine #1 Sunshine Vicram) – Darynda Jones

10. Faithless in Death (#52 In death) – J.D. Robb

11. Forgotten in Death (#53 In Death) – J.D. Robb

FL – Fictional Librarians

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – J.K. Rowling

2. Real Murders (#1 Aurora Teagarden)- Charlaine Harris

3. The Colour of Magic (#1 Discworld) – Terry Pratchett

4. Lost Plot (#4 Invisible Library) – Genevieve Cogman

5. A Hidden Fire (#1 Elemental Mystery) – Elizabeth Hunter

6. Eyre Affaire (#1 Thursday Next) – Jasper Fford

7. Case of the Missing Books (#1 Mobile Library) – Ian Sansom

8. Ink and Bone (#1 Great Library) – Rachel Caine

9. Books can be Deceiving (#1 Library Lovers) – Jen McKinley

10. Library at the Edge of the World (#1 Finfarran Peninsula) – Felicity Hayes McCoy

11. Murder at the 42nd Street Library – Con Lehane

12. Book Charmer (#1 Dove Pond) – Karen Hawkins

• Like 4

HEARTS

1. Last Chance Matinee (#1 Hudson Sisters) – Mariah Stewart

2. Spoiler Alert – Olivia Wade

3. Driven to Distraction (#1 Road to Love) – Lori Foster

4. Brighten Honeymoon (#2 Weaver)- Sheri Cobb Smith

5. Peculiar Pink Toes of Lady Flora – Jayne Fresina

6. Hush – Cherry Adair (Reread)

7. Invisible Husband of Frick Island – Colleen Oakley

8. Troublemaker – Linda Howard

9. The Woman Left Behind – Linda Howard

10. Love in the Afternoon (prequel Dove Pond) – Karen Hawkins

11. A Cup of Silver Linings (#2 Dove Pond) – Karen Hawkins

12. Legacy – Nora Roberts

Next in the Series – Completed

1. A Good Day for Chardonnay (#2 Sunshine) – Darynda Jones

2. Bridgerton series (#1 – 😎 – Julia Quinn

3. Hexing with a Chance of Tornados (#2 Grimm Cove) – Mandy Roth

4. Last Guard (#5 psychangeling trinity) – Nalini Singh

5. Lover Unveiled (#19 BDB) – J.R. Ward

6. Spellcasting with a Chance of Spirits (#3 Grimm Cove) – Mandy Roth

7. Sugar House Blues (#2 Hudson Sisters)

8. The Goodbye Cafe (#3 Hudson Sisters)

9. When Sorrows Come (#14 October Daye) – Seanan McGuire

10. Wild Sign (#6 Alpha and Omega) – Patricia Briggs

• Like 4

PAST

1. Brighten Honeymoon (#2 Weaver)- Sheri Cobb Smith

2. Peculiar Pink Toes of Lady Flora – Jayne Fresina

3. Bridgerton series (#1 – 😎 – Julia Quinn

Paranormal or Urban Fantasy

1. Archangels Light (#14 Guild Hunter) – Nalini Singh

2. Book of Secrets (#1 Oracle) – Melissa McShane

3. Claimed (#1 Wolven) – J.R. Ward

4. Cloudy with a Chance of Witchcraft (#1 Grimm Cove) – Mandy Roth

5. Fireborn (#1 Souls of Fire) – Keri Arthur (REREAD)

6. First Grave on the Right 1 -13 (#1 Grim Reaper) – Summoned to the Thirteenth Grave (#13) Charley Davidson Grim Reaper series by Darynda Jones.

7. Halfway to the Grave (#1) – Jeaniene Frost

8. Kingdom of Shadow and Light (#11 Fever) – Karen Marie Moning

9. True Dead (Jane Yellowrock) – Faith Hunter

World

1. And Then There Were Nuns – Jane Christmas (Non Fiction) England – Isle of Wight, Whitby)

2. Bear and the Nightingale – Katherine Arden (Russia)

3. Cousin’s O’Dwyer series – Nora Roberts (Ireland)

4. Library at the Edge of the World (#1 Finfarran Peninsula) – Felicity Hayes McCoy (Ireland)

5. Little Paris Bookshop – Nina George (France)

6. My Christmas Number One – Leonie Mack (London/South America, e)

7. Peculiar Pink Toes of Lady Flora – Jayne Fresina (United Kingdom)

8. Sworn Virgin – Kristopher Dukes (Albania)

9. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue – V.E. Schwab (France, 1700’s to Present)

10. The Riviera House – Natasha Lester (France)

If you've made it this far through my lists, thank you.  Will post stats and thoughts about year of reading in next week's wrap up post along with goals for the new year.

• Like 5

Congratulations to all of you who have met or exceeded your reading goals! I'm enjoying seeing what you've done.

Late last night I finished The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand; I quite enjoyed this young adult book which is a re-imagining of A Christmas Carol.

"On Christmas Eve five years ago, seventeen-year-old Holly Chase was visited by three Ghosts who showed her how selfish and spoiled she’d become. They tried to convince her to mend her ways. She didn’t. And then she died.

Now she’s stuck working for the top-secret company Project Scrooge—as their latest Ghost of Christmas Past. So far, Holly’s afterlife has been miserable. But this year’s Scrooge is different. This year’s Scrooge might change everything…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Robin M said:

If you've made it this far through my lists, thank you.  Will post stats and thoughts about year of reading in next week's wrap up post along with goals for the new year.

Well done!!  Seeing how @mumto2 and yourself 'do' your challenges is an encouragement to have a try (at some point).

And looking forward to reading those posts.... next week

@mumto2 reading new to me authors is probably easier because I like to read/listen to non-fiction.  Reading a lot of, just, new fiction authors would be a super hard task for me. 

Posting my new to me authors next....

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 4

Challenge 40 New, to me, authors, achieved 43

Return to the Reich: A Holocaust Refugee's Secret Mission to Defeat the Nazis ~ Eric Lichtblau, narrated by Dennis Boutsikaris  (4) N/F

Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence ~ Anna Lembke (4) N/f .  

Gilead: Bk1 ~ Marilynne Robinson, narrated by Tim Jerome (4)

What Child Is This?: Ellie Kent Bk2 ~ Alice K. Boatwright, narrated by Saskia Maarleveld (3+)  

The Quick Roasting Tin: 30 Minute One Dish Dinners ~ Rukmini Iyer (5) N/f

Millions Like Us: Women's Lives in the Second World War ~ Virginia Nicholson, narrated by Patience Tomlinson, Annie Aldington, Rachel Bavidge, Julie Maisey, Georgina Sutton (4) N/f

The Resilient Farmer: Weathering the Challenges of Life and Land ~ Doug Avery (5) N/F 

A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty ~ Joni E. Tada (3-4) for the audiobook. N/F  

Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence ~ Anna Lembke (4) N/f .    *Content could be triggering

The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir ~ Steffanie Strathdee , Thomas Patterson , Teresa Barker – contributor, narrated by Christine Lakin , Dan Woren  (4)  N/F    

Travelling to Infinity: The True Story Behind The Theory of Everything ~ Jane Hawking, narrated by Sandra Duncan (3.5 ) N/F    

Your Life in My Hands: A Junior Doctor's Story ~ Rachel Clarke (3) (audiobook)  N/f

The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz ~ Erik Larson, narrated by Matt Addis (4 ) N/f

The Diary of a Bookseller: Bk1 ~ Shaun Bythell, narrated by Robin Laing    4 stars for the audiobook   N/f

Prince Philip Revealed: A Man of His Century ~ Ingrid Seward, narrated by Julie Teal (3) N/f

The Keeper of  Lost Things ~ Ruth Hogan, narrated by Jane Collingwood  and Sandra Duncan (2 )

Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Bk1 ~ Toshikazu Kawaguchi, narrated by Arina Ii  audiobook (3) 

The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Michael Morpurgo (Translator), narrated by Richard E. Grant (2) 

For the Love of Books: A Celebration of the Written Word ~ Graham Tarrant (2-3) e.book.  N/f

Game in Diamonds ~ Elizabeth Cadell, narrated by Will Peck  (2+)  I listened to this close on the heels of some beautifully written books, so that impacted on my review

The Spy and the Traitor ~  Ben MacIntyre, narrated by Ben Macintyre  5 for the audiobook   N/f

Survivors Club: The True Story of a Very Young Prisoner of Auschwitz ~ Michael Bornstein, Debbie Bornstein Holinstat, narrated by Fred Berman (4.5)  N/f

A Gentleman in Moscow ~ Amor Towles, narrated by Nicholas Guy Smith (4.5 )  (17h 52m )   

Parnassus on Wheels ~ Christopher Morley, narrated by Nadia May (4)

84, Charing Cross Road ~ Helene Hanff,  narrators Juliet Stevenson & John Nettles (5) N/f

How to Win Friends and Influence People ~ Dale Carneige, narrated by Andrew MacMillan (-) N/f

A Completing of The Watsons ~ Rose Servitova  (3) 

Wilding: The Return of Nature to a British Farm ~ Isabella Tree, narrated by the author (3.5)  for the audiobook N/f

Dr Finlay: The Complete BBC Radio Collection ~ A.J. Cronin, narrated by David Tennant, John Gordon Sinclair, Celia Imrie, full cast  (4 )  Extra: domestic violence (spoiler) a husband is murdered and the Drs cover it up as the pregnant woman was the victim of domestic abuse.

50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the Faith ~ Warren W. Wiersbe  (2+) N/f

.Jack in the Pulpit: Martha's Vineyard Mystery Bk4 ~ Cynthia Riggs, narrated by Davina Porter (3)

The Adventures of Maud West, Lady Detective: Secrets and Lies in the Golden Age of Crime ~ Susannah Stapleton, narrated by Clare Wille (2)  N/f

Dark Threads the Weaver Needs: The Problem of Human Suffering ~  Herbert Lockyer  (CC) (4)  N/f

A Willful Grievance: The Lillie Mead Historical Mystery Series Bk2 ~ Lisa Zumpano, narrated by Claire Storey (5)

The Thirteen Clocks ~ James Thurber, narrated by Edward Woodward (2) A quirky fairy tale that may have fared better if I’d read it as opposed to listening to it on audiobook, which had ongoing background music and ‘noises'.

No Cure for the Dead: The Florence Nightingale Mysteries Bk1 ~ Christine Trent, narrated by Lucy Rayner  (3-)

The Other Bennet Sister ~ Janice Hadlow, narrated by Kristin Atherton (5)

The Devotion of Suspect X: Detective Galileo Bk1 ~ Keigo Higashino , Translated by Alexander O. Smith, narrated by David Pittu (4)

Aprons and Silver Spoons: The Heartwarming Memoirs of a 1930s Scullery Maid  ~ Mollie Moran, narrated by Nicolette McKenzie (3-)  N/f

A Memory of Violets ~ Hazel Gaynor, narrated by Nicola Barber (2-3)

A Decline in Prophets: Rowland Sinclair Bk2 ~ Sulari Gentill (4) (Aust author) I went on to read many more in the series

Susie: The Life and Legacy of Susannah Spurgeon, wife of Charles H. Spurgeon ~ Ray Rhodes Jr., narrated by Joe Geoffrey (2)  N/f

The Forest of Wool and Steel ~ Natsu Miyashita, Philip Gabriel (Translator)  (4.5)

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

Are any of you signed up Neil Patrick Harris's newsletter Wondercade.  He recommended a few dystopian novels in the latest issue.  Let's see if I can copy. Here goes. 

While perusing the dystopian section of my personal library here on the 27th floor of Wondercade HQ in accordance with Neil’s request to honor this special issue, there were a few titles that immediately caught my eye due to the well-worn nature of their bindings. The Road, The Handmaid’s Tale and Fahrenheit 451 — these have all, at various points in my long life, occupied space on my Shelf of Stories Worth Reading Again. (I’ve heard they’ve all been adapted for those lesser artforms of the screen, not that I pay attention to that drivel.) But for today, I’ve hand-selected a stack of more recent un-put-down-able books, each of them published this year, and providing a tour of the dark world, present and future. 

For the youngest of our budding Bookstorians, I’d recommend diving into the wonderful world of Willa of Dark Hollow by Robert Beatty. That means you’ll also need to acquire the best-selling first part in this tale, Willa of the Wood (the more books the better, in my opinion), when the world of the namesake night-spirit is in truth much more wonderful; in the second entry, encroaching humans come a-knocking. If your reader has the mettle for a true post-apocalyptic adventure, The Electric Kingdom by David Arnold places a 12-year-old and an 18-year-old (a cue for the appropriate age range) in a world devastated by a deadly flu. Sound too close to home? Don’t worry, it also involves time travel. Who can say no to time travel? Not I.

As for the jaded adults, can I interest you in The End of Men? Yes, I see I’ve got your attention now. Especially you ladies. That would be Christina Sweeney-Baird’s equally harrowing and satisfying fictional account of a lethal virus that only affects men. Not for the faint of heart, that one. To my mind, however, the scariest account here in my stack is Atlas of AI: Power, Politics, and the Planetary Costs of Artificial Intelligence by Kate Crawford. It’s not that her illuminating portrait of modern AI has me scared for my job, but that it’s more distressing than mere robots. Lest we forget, this is also the season for curling up in front of fires. For those occasions, there’s Tom Galvin’s The Auction, a page-turner from a debut novelist that mixes together a bit of The Hunger Games with Galvin’s background as a political reporter and Silicon Valley strategist. You’ll want to put on a pot of tea for that one.

• Like 3

Christmas Eve is almost upon us and and it's time to Jólabókaflóðið.  I've added a few more ebooks to my virtual stacks thanks to some awesome Kindle deals.  Nick Magnus's The Cat and the City, Doris Lessings, Grass is Singing, Jack McDevitt's Ancient Shores Magnus Fly's City of Dark Magic, Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed, Kate Quinn's The Huntress,  William Faulkner's Snopes Trilogy, and Jon Sweeney's Thomas Merton: An Introduction to His Life, Teachings, and Practices.  Yes, I know... When will I find time to read then all. 

I'm 100 pages into Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and once I got used to her writing, enjoying the story and historical aspects.   Mantel has a way with imagery and loved this line:  " Their bodies breathed out the faint borrowed scent of sun and herbs."  I also like Thomas Cromwell's dry wit.  I think this is one book which will take me to the end of the year to finish.  It's not one to speed read through.  

Web wanderings today:  

Sadly Joan Didion has passed away

It's not to late to read more Christmas stories:  25 Best Christmas Historical Fiction Books for the Holidays

Some weekly challenges to spice up my reading life:  52 weekly challenges from Bookriot - looks like fun. There are so many on the list I want to do or have already started. 

Christmas Eve is almost here and time to  Jólabókaflóðið  20 recommended reads for those who dream of traveling to Iceland

New York Public Library has suggestions for every one of Bookriots Annual Read Harder Challenge

Hugo Awards, Astounding Award, Lodestar Award 2021 Announced.  Martha Wells Network Effect won. The nominees included Piranesi by  Susanna Clarke which I have on my shelves as well as  The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin (Still haven't finished the Fifth Season), The Relentless Moon by, Mary Robinette Kowal (Will have to check this one out as well as Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir.  And last but not least, Black Sun by  Rebecca Roanhorse which I'm looking forward to reading soon. 

Don't remember if I share this one before.   How Nancy Drew Solves Crimes.  Will come in handy for an upcoming challenge on 52 Books. Nudge Nudge Wink Wink.

😘

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As we close out the last few hours of Christmas eve down here, I wanted to stop by and wish each one here peace, hope, and love – however you spend the Christmas season - and the prospect of many good books!

A quick book update

Completed:  What Child is This? ~ Rhys Bowen (audible)  (3)  a WWII short story set at Christmas time, it made for an okay listen.   I really like this quote, especially as we head towards another COVID hampered Christmas:  “We just have to make the best of things and be happy with what we’ve got.”       Extra: some cursing. 

My Christmas eve listen as I sorted the final things for Christmas day tomorrow:  Tied Up in Tinsel: Roderick Alleyn Bk27 ~ Ngaio Marsh,  narrated by Wanda McCaddon  (repeat listen)

I started this audiobook a few days ago, and will get back to it over the Christmas/New Years break:  The Dick Francis BBC Radio Drama Collection ~ Dick Francis,  narrated by a full BBC cast .   The BBC has one of these stories as a free listen on their site:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/b0418jfp

On 12/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, Robin M said:

Jólabókaflóðið 

I'm off to find out what this word is 🙂 

Edited by tuesdayschild
fix link
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

As we close out the last few hours of Christmas eve down here, I wanted to stop by and wish each one here peace, hope, and love – however you spend the Christmas season - and the prospect of many good books!

Merry Christmas!!! Love and hugs and kisses!!! 

• Like 5

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not:"

for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.  ~ Linus Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Many blessings to you and your families today. 

Merry Christmas!

Love, hugs, and kisses!

😘

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I just this morning...about 1am finished this book 

Only When I step on it which is the story of a man that hiked the Appalachian Trail in an attempt to heal his leg/foot from a serious injury.  Great story of hiking and the people he met bit also how he faced challenges and challenged his thinking.

Awesome. The link leads back here for me so here's the link to  https://www.amazon.com/Only-When-Step-Inspiring-Appalachian-ebook/dp/B09LZ2YRP7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2IAAW6PFCOYK6&keywords=only+when+I+step+on+it&qid=1640456250&sprefix=only+when+i+step+on+it%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-1  where it's available on Kindle Unlimited for free. Squee! 

Now I can read it too!  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

Some more reading to report. (Some of these have adult content.) ~

I quite enjoyed the A Marvellous Light (The Last Binding Book 1) by Freya Marske which is a fantasy set in an alternate Edwardian England. I look forward to reading on in this series.

"Robin Blyth has more than enough bother in his life. He’s struggling to be a good older brother, a responsible employer, and the harried baronet of a seat gutted by his late parents’ excesses. When an administrative mistake sees him named the civil service liaison to a hidden magical society, he discovers what’s been operating beneath the unextraordinary reality he’s always known.

Now Robin must contend with the beauty and danger of magic, an excruciating deadly curse, and the alarming visions of the future that come with it—not to mention Edwin Courcey, his cold and prickly counterpart in the magical bureaucracy, who clearly wishes Robin were anyone and anywhere else.

Robin’s predecessor has disappeared, and the mystery of what happened to him reveals unsettling truths about the very oldest stories they’ve been told about the land they live on and what binds it. Thrown together and facing unexpected dangers, Robin and Edwin discover a plot that threatens every magician in the British Isles—and a secret that more than one person has already died to keep."

Also read YETI YULETIDE (A Victorian Secret Romance) by Francesca Rose, a pleasant novella.

and 

The Impossible Quest Of Hailing A Taxi On Christmas Eve by George Saoulidis, a curious modern retelling of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3