Menu

Tackling Thanksgiving Together

mom31257

Good morning and happy Thanksgiving! 

I hope you all will have a blessed holiday in whatever way or on which day you celebrate! I'm so thankful for each of you coming along on this thread. Honestly, it keeps me a bit more grounded. I wish I could meet you all in person and give you a hug for all the encouragement you've given to each of us. I never imagined a day when I would have friends I would mostly only know through the written word. But I'm glad I live in a time it could happen. 

My family comes to my house tomorrow. Dh's family is in Ohio and had an early Thanksgiving early this week, so we couldn't be there. 

We have a somewhat big issue. Our tv has decided to start going dark after a few minutes of playing. And everything is closed today. And the only shopping that can happen for one is tomorrow! I told dh he has to do it because I'll be cooking. We do have a 32" tv is all else fails, but I know the guys will not be happy with college football on that. 

I'm going to do some research online and see if there is a fix we can do, but it is a very old tv. We had talked about getting a newer one that's a little bigger anyway. 

• breakfast for us, breakfast for the kids when they get up
  • ds and gf going to try and find a restaurant for dinner because today is their 3 month anniversary
  • burgers and tater tots for us
  • work on furniture (I fell asleep last night and we didn't work on it)
  • tidy house
  • laundry
  • sewing project
  • start on food for tomorrow
Edited by mom31257
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like I explained on the Insomnia thread, I had a super bad wakeup at just before 4.  I am doing much better now and should be even better in a while.  I finally  read all the posts yesterday.  I had a super hectic day with some very good and some not so good.  The good was eating at Whataburger's, having a nice conversation with the older woman behind me in the postal line while we were waiting for more than 10 minutes,. tasty dinner, and nice time w dh watching Smuggling show on Nat Geo.  

DId

• weekly medication box
  • took medications I needed to so far
  • chose outfit

To Do

Amazon orders

maybe CVS order

Maybe Home Depot order

Read the book club book I will be leading the discussion next Friday

Figure out ways to make things work and to make things not be painful

Watch the Alabama Million Dollar Band in the Macy's TDay parade on tv

Eat tasty food

relax

watch the Egg Bowl on tv

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

Good morning and happy Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone!

I hope you all will have a blessed holiday in whatever way or on which day you celebrate! I'm so thankful for each of you coming along on this thread. Honestly, it keeps me a bit more grounded. I wish I could meet you all in person and give you a hug for all the encouragement you've given to each of us. I never imagined a day when I would have friends I would mostly only know through the written word. But I'm glad I live in a time it could happen.  My thoughts exactly!  Thank you for expressing them so well.  In my Chronic Illness Support Group meeting yesterday, we not only have the written word, but see and hear them too.  I am so very thankful for all my online friends- here, book club, support group, lupus group, etc, etc,.  How wonderful it is.  

My family comes to my house tomorrow. Dh's family is in Ohio and had an early Thanksgiving early this week, so we couldn't be there. How I really wished dd1 and dsil1 did this last year.  That was what I wanted== delayed Thanksgiving. But we ended up going to dsil's MS State graduation ceremony, do a 4 plus hour drive home on the Wednesday before TDAY and then I guess they came over and cooked.  I was so exhausted from that graduation and drive home, I barely can remember it. All I was certain about was that I did not like the way she made the turkey- I couldn't remember why but I have found out this week.  She put strange seasonings including rosemary (which is a spice I only tolerate in very small doses and mostly not like) on the outside, and lemons, oranges and apples on the inside.  I like the way I would make it or ds or ddil or dh would all make it -- basically butter the outside, put apples and onions inside, and baste with apple cider and turkey/butter juices.

We have a somewhat big issue. Our tv has decided to start going dark after a few minutes of playing. And everything is closed today. And the only shopping that can happen for one is tomorrow! I told dh he has to do it because I'll be cooking. We do have a 32" tv is all else fails, but I know the guys will not be happy with college football on that. I am so sorry about thatf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Amy! I feel the same way about y’all on this thread.

I need to make a salad, take a shower and figure out what to wear on this dreary, rainy day. 

We will pick up my mom (and her new friend/love interest!) and go eat at Cracker Barrel midday.

Then to hang out with my in-laws. But I might punt that and enjoy a few hours at home by myself. Life has been very difficult lately and I could use some down time. I’ll decide later.

@TravelingChris I hope your pain meds work and you feel better soon!

• Like 5

@TravelingChris, hope you continue to feel better and better!

@MooCow, sorry you are so tired! Hope you feel better. 

@ScoutTN, if you need some downtime, I hope it works out well for you to take it for yourself. 

I did some research online and found the idea of unplugging the tv and letting it reset. That is working for now. We're going to leave it on a long time and see how it does. I'm not sure we should take a chance on tomorrow or not. College football is important to the men in the family. 

I've been playing Solitaire games instead of working. 

• Like 3

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving!! I too am thankful for all of you. One of my favorite things to do on non teaching days is post in this thread. The plan for today:

Go to mil's around 10:45 for sandwiches and dessert

When we get home from mil's, continue cooking for our traditional feast

Enjoy being with family

I may get some schoolwork done later

Call my parents

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

@TravelingChris, hope you continue to feel better and better!

@MooCow, sorry you are so tired! Hope you feel better. 

@ScoutTN, if you need some downtime, I hope it works out well for you to take it for yourself. 

I did some research online and found the idea of unplugging the tv and letting it reset. That is working for now. We're going to leave it on a long time and see how it does. I'm not sure we should take a chance on tomorrow or not. College football is important to the men in the family. 

I've been playing Solitaire games instead of working. 

Oh another Solitaire addict. Back when we had a filter on our PC, I couldn't control my Solitaire playing, and I asked Ds to put a password on it. I'm so bad!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Turkey in the smoker at 7:15. I got up at 6 to prep it.

Rolls dough is  made and is rising now.

Cherry pie is made.

Mopped the floors.

Made the dog food (she's become allergic to commercial foods, so now I cook for her...sigh)

Fed the hens.

I've already run and unloaded the dishwasher once. Washed a bunch of dishes several times.

Made the caramel sauce for the cheesecakes that I made yesterday. When it's cool, I'll pour it over the cheesecakes and add pecans.

Next is bathrooms.

All this while keeping an eye on the smoker and repeatedly stoking the fire. 

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 3

Unloaded the dishwasher

Made the salad 

Took out compost and recycling.

Discussed several things with Dh. Trying to figure out high school for Ds for next year, college possibilities for Dd, and a FT job for me. I am old and unqualified to do anything that actually makes decent money. Two degrees in theology, extremely weak tech skills, no connections. The outlook is very bleak. 

Need to get a shower and get ready to pretend everything is great for a few hours so that my mom can enjoy the day. 

• Sad 3

My peanut is gone but happy to go see Uncle B and Aunt Melissa 😃 and get a much needed nap in the car on the way there! 

We all enjoyed her so much! 

It was nice to see oldest and Dil very connected after their alone time! They have 3 more dates in December. 

Dh went back to bed, youngest is coding, dd is enjoying alone time, I'm just catching up on internet and waiting for my turn for the oven. 

• Like 2

Howdie, happy Thanskgiving!

I don't cook Thanksgiving dinner.  This year, for the 2nd year, my 14yo is cooking it, and I'm sure the aunties will help her out, but I plan to hide from it.  🙂

However, I am not exactly lying around all day either ....

Done:

• Up past 4am doing online visa applications.  Got it done; hopefully they will be approved.
  • Slept about 3.5 hours before the alarms started ringing.
  • Kid1 and I ran the Turkey Trot (5k).  I did about as well as I had hoped, so I'm happy.
    • In the "this could only happen to me" category, I stepped on something squishy and realized it was decomposing road kill.  Yay me.
  • Nice long shower and hair wash.
  • Cleaned the kitchen.
  • Helped with a work project.
  • Fixed broken blinds.
  • Did minimum daily reading - will probably do more.
  • Caught up on emails, calendar, news.
  • Working on coffee 2.

To do:

• Catch up on social media.
  • Rest.
  • My kid wants me to hang out with her while she cooks.  I don't want to.  (Everyone is down there and I'm not feeling peoply.)
  • Probably some client work, laundry, pup stuff, and whatever else gets done.
  • Like 4

@math teacher, I just discovered a collection on the laptop I bought for this school year. I'll have to watch it so I don't end up an addict!

@MooCow, so glad you got to see your little one! 

@fairfarmhand, I wish I could have dairy and come to your house! Those cheesecakes sound amazing. 

@SKL, I hope your shoes survived the road kill! Yikes!

@TravelingChris, sorry for the front coming in. 

@ScoutTN, I hope you enjoy the time with his family. I am trying to figure out what I can do for full-time work after this year. I have a math degree, but I'm not certified to teach. GA has a process for degreed people to get certified, but it is costly and means working full time while going to school. I'm just not sure I could even handle teaching public school. Let's pray for each other to find just the right place for us. I know God has something in store that will help us provide for our families! 

The TV is still going strong! We might unplug it tonight. I think we'll only venture out tomorrow if it's not working in the morning. 

We snacked for lunch and played Codenames with the kids. 

I've worked a little more on my sewing project. 

I did the last load of laundry. 

• Thanks 3