Menu

Where to live in Florida

crazyforlatin

Asking for a friend who is in his 80s, born in Puerto Rico raised in NY, Christian, relatively healthy, and wanting to move to Florida.

Could I get a list of several cities that are relatively safe but with reasonably priced condos ( under $100k for one bedroom) with a large Puerto Rican population? 

I will help him look for a real agent when we can narrow down to a couple of cities.

• Like 1

Honestly, that price is going to be the issue more than anything. 

But the greater Orlando area has a large Puerto Rican population. Lots of Hispanic people in Florida in general, but from where varies by region. I'm from northern Palm Beach county and growing up we had a large Guatamalan population in the area. In Miami you get a lot of Cubans. Here in Orlando it is mainly Puerto Ricans. 

I THINK Tampa/St. Pete area may as well, but I'm not positive on that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Thanks so much for the responses! Broward County and Miami Dade County seem like starting points. Orlando might be too expensive for him. 

He will definitely find SOME Puerto Ricans in those areas, but maybe not the same number as Orlando. Keep in mind that "orlando" also includes Altamonte Springs, Apopka, Maitland, Winter Garden, Longwood, Casselberry, etc and really even north to Lake Mary and Sanford these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the Orlando area.  Probably much less expensive than South Florida too. Not sure about the crime but I know there is a ton of crime in South Florida. Lots of crime in the Orlando  area but my guess is that is a lot less than in South Florida.

Many people from Puerto Rico live there.  I remember chatting with the box boy (is that the name for Males who work with the Cashier?) in the Publix supermarket near the timeshare we stayed in.  He had moved from Puerto Rico to that area, near Orlando.

Edited by Lanny
correct spelling error.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

Does South Florida include Broward County? It's southern Florida but not at the tip. I found a condo for $89k in Coconut Creek. 

Yes, that’s South Florida. Are you looking for a place in a retirement community? Because frankly that area is kinda boring and spread out, as is much of Florida. There’s only so many times you can go visit Butterfly World and walk around Fern Forest by yourself before getting bored and lonely. And a car is pretty much essential in that area unless you live in a retirement community that can shuttle you around. 

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

Yes, that’s South Florida. Are you looking for a place in a retirement community? Because frankly that area is kinda boring and spread out, as is much of Florida. There’s only so many times you can go visit Butterfly World and walk around Fern Forest by yourself before getting bored and lonely. And a car is pretty much essential in that area unless you live in a retirement community that can shuttle you around. 

A car is pretty much necessary anywhere in Florida. 

Agreed that parts of Broward are pretty soccer mom suburban, others are retirement community, but there is also the Ft Lauderdale area which is young and has an interesting music scene, or did years ago. 

Miami is obviously very vibrant, but yes, lots of areas of high crime. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

A car is pretty much necessary anywhere in Florida. 

Agreed that parts of Broward are pretty soccer mom suburban, others are retirement community, but there is also the Ft Lauderdale area which is young and has an interesting music scene, or did years ago. 

Miami is obviously very vibrant, but yes, lots of areas of high crime. 

Pretty much, although there are still little neighborhoods where you can walk to everything you might need. IME, however, these are usually near the beach, thus more expensive. Neighborhoods where you can be without a car in Ft Lauderdale, last time I looked, were crazy $$$. Likewise Miami.

That’s why I asked if the condo in question was in a retirement community. If I had to move to a new state where I knew no one and had to drive everywhere instead of being able to walk around my neighborhood making friends organically at the local store or café (or in a retirement community), I’d be lonely and despondent.

Edited by bibiche
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Pretty much, although there are still little neighborhoods where you can walk to everything you might need. IME, however, these are usually near the beach, thus more expensive. Neighborhoods where you can be without a car in Ft Lauderdale, last time I looked, were crazy $$$. Likewise Miami.

That’s why I asked if the condo in question was in a retirement community. If I had to move to a new state where I knew no one and had to drive everywhere instead of being able to walk around my neighborhood making friends organically at the local store or café (or in a retirement community), I’d be lonely and despondent.

It’s not in a retirement community, but I’ll check to see if there are nearby churches.

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

I've never lived anywhere walkable, ever, so to me it's normal. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

It’s not in a retirement community, but I’ll check to see if there are nearby churches.

There are churches EVERYWHERE in Florida, lol. Like, I used to pass 7 of them between my house and the grocery store. In the neighborhood I lived in as a kid I could walk to 3. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, crazyforlatin said:

Actually since he’s 80, he would qualify to live in the 55+ community if the HOA fees are not high. I’ll look into that too. He prefers a house but the work and expense might be too much for him. 

Ah! Ok, then that does change things. There are a lot of retirement communities!!! Even some famous ones...the Villages is a famous area for the rate of STDs in seniors, lol. And many have shuttles to grocery stores, churches, etc. I know the Catholic parish I went to had a bus come every Sunday from a local retirement community. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Actually since he’s 80, he would qualify to live in the 55+ community if the HOA fees are not high. I’ll look into that too. He prefers a house but the work and expense might be too much for him. 

I don’t know about areas with a high % of Puerto Ricans.  However, I had friends who were in a 55+ community of houses (small - only 1,300 sq ft) who at least had their landscaping services (including mowing) included in their HOA fees. 

We have met TONS of locals at our nearby pub (walkable) where everyone plays trivia on Tuesday nights!