Menu

You might be a redneck if homeschool edition

Elizabeth86

So, rabbit trails with learning is a good thing usually. We started working through learning about each state. We are working on Alabama today, so I’ve been singing the country song Paint Me a Birmingham. My boys said it sounded like I was saying paint me a burning ham.  They laughed at me a lot then we listened to the song. I told my son paint me a burning ham sounded like a parody song. What’s a parody mom? I explain that. I said hmm wonder if Cletus T. Judd did a parody for this song. Mom, who is that? I tell them about some songs he sang . Would you believe he did parody that song? It’s called Bake Me a Country Ham. We listened to that. So, it isn’t typical, but that was our redneck homeschool this morning. Only you all could appreciate this. 😂  I’m almost embarrassed to admit all that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Oh, gosh. This was our style of crazy humor!🤣 I like Paint Me a Burning Ham, too. It’s just as funny. I love that country song, btw. 

But, yes, this is the sort of thing we would laugh about, even years later.

My goofy ds had that Homeschool Joke Book that was so popular years back.  He was 10 or 11. He read all the jokes over and over. He just loved home school humor. There’s one joke in there that goes something like, “Remember kids, we don’t talk about how you are allowed to watch Batman!” Said to the children as the mom is pulling up in the drive of her home school friends for a visit. (Or whatever they used in the joke book as the “taboo among homeschoolers” show).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Oh, gosh. This was our style of crazy humor!🤣 I like Paint Me a Burning Ham, too. It’s just as funny. I love that country song, btw. 

But, yes, this is the sort of thing we would laugh about, even years later.

My goofy ds had that Homeschool Joke Book that was so popular years back.  He was 10 or 11. He read all the jokes over and over. He just loved home school humor. There’s one joke in there that goes something like, “Remember kids, we don’t talk about how you are allowed to watch Batman!” Said to the children as the mom is pulling up in the drive of her home school friends for a visit. (Or whatever they used in the joke book as the “taboo among homeschoolers” show).

I’d like to see this joke book, we’d love it.

My You Might Be a Redneck Homeschooler story is the time that we were at some event (maybe the State Fair in MA) and the music was way too loud for my liking.  So I started to search the ground for cigarette butts.  My kids asked what I was doing.  I told them that we would stick cigarette butts in our ears as makeshift earplugs at drag races and car shows when I was a kid.  My city-slicker children stared at me.

I'm a good ol' girl - a Black, Korean, Orthodox Jewish one but a good ol' girl nonetheless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, YaelAldrich said:

My You Might Be a Redneck Homeschooler story is the time that we were at some event (maybe the State Fair in MA) and the music was way too loud for my liking.  So I started to search the ground for cigarette butts.  My kids asked what I was doing.  I told them that we would stick cigarette butts in our ears as makeshift earplugs at drag races and car shows when I was a kid.  My city-slicker children stared at me.

I'm a good ol' girl - a Black, Korean, Orthodox Jewish one but a good ol' girl nonetheless.

I love it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Our might be a redneck story is a little different.  You might be a redneck if you put the last bit of a dry ice in soda bottle to watch it explode.  Than when it expands but doesn't blow you shoot it with your bow & arrow from 50 yards first shot.  

This sounds like my DH’s version too.