Menu

D-Mannose for UTI’s?

mathnerd

The last time I had an UTI, I was recommended unsweetened cranberry juice (more than 10 years ago).
I feel a low grade UTI coming on now and went to purchase cranberry supplements on Amazon when the app suggested D-Mannose to me. It seems very popular on Amazon according to reviews and many swear by it. I have googled a while and it seems to be effective for those with E.Coli strain of bacteria. I would like to try it as well, but not sure if I should take the powder or pill form and what dosage to take. Looking for advise from anyone who uses it. Thank you!

I used a protocol that I think @Garga had posted. You can search for it, but basically you take a bunch with a small amount of water so it's *concentrated*, then wait an hour and drink and flush your system.  

You don't have it yet? https://www.amazon.com/NOW-D-Mannose-500-120-Capsules/dp/B000JN4CR0/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0?cv_ct_cx=d-mannose&dchild=1&keywords=d-mannose&pd_rd_i=B000JN4CR0&pd_rd_r=79169ea6-c416-4f7c-b121-e62c79d39c29&pd_rd_w=CDfUn&pd_rd_wg=2I1sL&pf_rd_p=c0fa563a-b0ba-455a-bd65-7b14bea6288c&pf_rd_r=TZKZQARKDSK1N4X1VGKA&psc=1&qid=1634786033&sr=1-1-f0029781-b79b-4b60-9cb0-eeda4dea34d6  I use NOW brand, which works for me. As you say, it was a very early positive result on a test and aggressive with the d-mannose did it. Can you get some tonight or at the grocery tomorrow so you're not waiting so long?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I used a protocol that I think @Garga had posted. You can search for it, but basically you take a bunch with a small amount of water so it's *concentrated*, then wait an hour and drink and flush your system.  

You don't have it yet? https://www.amazon.com/NOW-D-Mannose-500-120-Capsules/dp/B000JN4CR0/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0?cv_ct_cx=d-mannose&dchild=1&keywords=d-mannose&pd_rd_i=B000JN4CR0&pd_rd_r=79169ea6-c416-4f7c-b121-e62c79d39c29&pd_rd_w=CDfUn&pd_rd_wg=2I1sL&pf_rd_p=c0fa563a-b0ba-455a-bd65-7b14bea6288c&pf_rd_r=TZKZQARKDSK1N4X1VGKA&psc=1&qid=1634786033&sr=1-1-f0029781-b79b-4b60-9cb0-eeda4dea34d6  I use NOW brand, which works for me. As you say, it was a very early positive result on a test and aggressive with the d-mannose did it. Can you get some tonight or at the grocery tomorrow so you're not waiting so long?

I will look for it at my local 24 hour pharmacy. Thanks for telling me about the protocol.

I use the NOW brand of D-Mannose in the pill form, 500 mg.  Wow, what a difference that has made in my life!  I take it at the first twinge of a possible infection.  Usually just one pill kicks it.  So I'll often take one and sit in a hot bath for awhile (no bath oil, etc.).  Sometimes, I'll take a second one maybe 4-8 hours later.  I don't think I've ever needed more than that to kick it.

For awhile when I was really getting UTI's regularly, I did take it sometimes preventatively.  Now I only take as needed.

It only works for e-coli infections, which are the majority of UTI's.  But if you catch it too late (or maybe if it's a different bacteria), don't waste time...  See a doctor and get actual antibiotics.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bibiche said:

I use capsules. My bottle says 1000mg 1-3 times per day. Some people take it daily. I take it as needed.

Thank you. There are many dosages in the pill form and it is good to know that taking it up to 3 times a day is safe.

I don't take pills. I have a tub of D-Mannose powder according to this protocol. 1 g is approx 1/2 teaspoon. I cut it by 1/3 for my 4 yo. Just knocked out a budding UTI in her in a day.

For preventing frequent UTIs: 2 grams once daily, or 1 gram twice daily

For treating an active UTI: 1.5 grams twice daily for 3 days, and then once daily for 10 days; or 1 gram three times daily for 14 days

• Thanks 1

I’ve had good luck with D Mannose sometimes. Catch it early, treat it fast. I think I took it every few hours, probably using Garga’s protocol, to try to treat an early infection. But not always. I take it mostly as a preventative, not to treat UTIs these days. Mine mostly need antibiotics. And having been hospitalized twice last year — I’m not messing around. 

I feel like I’m always popping up in these threads, but if you have pain in the kidney area or nausea/vomiting, you should head straight to the ER. Even if you’re on abx.

21 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I feel like I’m always popping up in these threads, but if you have pain in the kidney area or nausea/vomiting, you should head straight to the ER. Even if you’re on abx.

I had a really low grade fever 3 days ago. Took a PCR test (though I have not gone outside for a week) and it turned out negative. Then, I had pain in my back and cloudy urine and I could tell that it matched my UTI episode from long ago. I have been drinking cranberry and a probiotic for female health since yesterday. The pain, fever and cloudiness in the urine are gone completely. But, I am still tired and have an occasional feeling of abdominal discomfort. I managed to find the D-Mannose locally and have started taking it tonight. If I have any symptoms tomorrow, I will set up a telehealth appointment. Thanks for the helpful info.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, calbear said:

I don't take pills. I have a tub of D-Mannose powder according to this protocol. 1 g is approx 1/2 teaspoon. I cut it by 1/3 for my 4 yo. Just knocked out a budding UTI in her in a day.

For preventing frequent UTIs: 2 grams once daily, or 1 gram twice daily

For treating an active UTI: 1.5 grams twice daily for 3 days, and then once daily for 10 days; or 1 gram three times daily for 14 days

Thank you. I will order the powder to keep on hand for future use. I am in the perimenopausal age group and Dr. Google tells me that lowering female hormones trigger the onset of UTI's. So, this info is good to have.

8 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Thank you. I will order the powder to keep on hand for future use. I am in the perimenopausal age group and Dr. Google tells me that lowering female hormones trigger the onset of UTI's. So, this info is good to have.

I take the capsules, 1/day, as maintenance/preventative and have not had a relapse. If you don't want to fiddle with the powder, the capsules might do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I take the capsules, 1/day, as maintenance/preventative and have not had a relapse. If you don't want to fiddle with the powder, the capsules might do.

I like the capsules because for awhile I was nervous to travel anywhere without them, and they're so convenient.  I always keep a couple in my purse, in my carry-on, in my backpack...  I rarely go anywhere without a capsule on me, just in case.  (I went through a few years where I seemed to need them a lot, although now I do far less often.)