Menu

Very irritated at my library plus need ebook subscription ideas

busymama7

My library system moved all of it's juvenile and YA books and audio books to a new app that doesn't sink to Kindle.  You have to read in the app.  My young teens/tweens do not have smart devices and I don't want them reading on tablets etc anyways. We have e ink kindles for reading.   I have complained and spoken to the electronic services people but as of now this is what they have.    I am so sad and frustrated because I used a ton of e books before.   In 2 mins my kids could have a new book to read. Getting to the library for hard copies is difficult right now due to my health challenges.  

We have Kindle unlimited but there is so much they don't have.  Is there another service? I see scribd but that doesn't sink to Kindle either.   Is there any library system that can be joined from outside the area, even for a fee?

• Sad 1

I currently have library cards to three different library systems. None of them has resident requirements for obtaining a card. I would look at your neighboring libraries, if I were you.

If you live anywhere near a large, multi-branch system, they are perhaps more likely to have more digital content, but sometimes small libraries have great digital services, too, because they can expand what they have to offer within their space limitations.

My library system uses a platform that doesn't support Kindle e-readers so I have a membership to the Brooklyn New York public library.  It's $50 a year and they utilize Overdrive.  I used to have a card from Fairfax VA but switched to Brooklyn.  I can't remember why I switched but I have been happy with both.

27 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I currently have library cards to three different library systems. None of them has resident requirements for obtaining a card. I would look at your neighboring libraries, if I were you.

If you live anywhere near a large, multi-branch system, they are perhaps more likely to have more digital content, but sometimes small libraries have great digital services, too, because they can expand what they have to offer within their space limitations.

Our system is already multi branch.  It's the whole large county except one neighboring city. I have that card too but because it's not my library I can't access the digital stuff(only physical)  It's a stupid system because those who live in that area can't access the digital of the larger one either.  

29 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

My library system uses a platform that doesn't support Kindle e-readers so I have a membership to the Brooklyn New York public library.  It's $50 a year and they utilize Overdrive.  I used to have a card from Fairfax VA but switched to Brooklyn.  I can't remember why I switched but I have been happy with both.

Ok awesome! I was hoping there was something like that but didn't know for sure.  I will look at both 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

Ok awesome! I was hoping there was something like that but didn't know for sure.  I will look at both 

Some books are ePub only which means you can't read it on a Kindle.  I don't think how many of the YA books are this way to be honest.  I rarely come across a book that I must read on a tablet. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

So what is the difference exactly? I used to use overdrive and then switched to Libby but not sure why. 

Libby is a newer app. Overdrive app is being phased out.  However Libby is not available for Kindle Fire as of the last time I checked, so I hope the Overdrive app  keeps being supported at least on that platform a little longer. 

Edited by kirstenhill

50 minutes ago, kirstenhill said:

Libby is a newer app. Overdrive app is being phased out.  However Libby is not available for Kindle Fire as of the last time I checked, so I hope the Overdrive app  keeps being supported at least on that platform a little longer. 

Yes, this except I didn’t know it wouldn’t work for kindle fire. On iOS I find it much more user-friendly and it works with my car’s Apple Play for audiobooks. 

3 hours ago, LuvToRead said:

I have Libby on my Fire. It's been awhile but I think I side loaded Google Play first  

Yeah, I thought about doing that.  I've been trying to avoid side loading google play on my kids' kindle fires, since I am not sure how that will impact parental controls (their ability to install apps is currently blocked when it is through the amazon store directly).  I side loaded an app once that I could install directly from a website that provided the app, but side loading the play store just seems like something that would potentially be more of a headache.

1 hour ago, kirstenhill said:

Yeah, I thought about doing that.  I've been trying to avoid side loading google play on my kids' kindle fires, since I am not sure how that will impact parental controls (their ability to install apps is currently blocked when it is through the amazon store directly).  I side loaded an app once that I could install directly from a website that provided the app, but side loading the play store just seems like something that would potentially be more of a headache.

I can't remember how much trouble it was but I do understand not wanting to mess with it!   It seemed like it was several steps.  I don't even use Libby, I usually just download any book I check out via Overdrive directly through Amazon. 

Edited by LuvToRead

10 hours ago, LuvToRead said:

Wait…you can live anywhere and do that?  Not just a neighboring town?  🤯

10 hours ago, HeartString said:

Wait…you can live anywhere and do that?  Not just a neighboring town?  🤯

Yes!!  There are a handful of libraries around that country that allow anyone to get a card.  It's amazing!  I am a part of a large library system that only uses cloud library, and I do not like cloud library at all.   Here are some https://www.aworldadventurebybook.com/blog/libraries-with-non-resident-borrowing-privileges  

Edited by LuvToRead
  • Thanks 1